Wizard's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Wizard's #thedailypaint

Postby Smartah » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Ooo purple bodies, red heads, white faces and and yellow stones? These banshees are going to look awesome
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Postby wizardv12222 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Well made a little progress on the banshees today. Got the hair done, and did a bit more on the armor. I think I'm going to do a highlight on the armor bits and then do a quick wash with Leviathan Purple to blend it in a bit more.

I also got their helmets painted grey to get them ready for a white.

3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Dez » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 am

The third from the left needs some attention with a file on the sword. Other than that, good work so far .I love those purples!
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Postby wizardv12222 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 pm

I painted up a layer on the helmets on the banshees tonight. Didn't get a chance to paint yesterday, my buddy came over and we played a game using forgeworld's Zone Mortalis rules.

Hopefully this weekend will be my "painting weekend" and I'll be able to get everything on my desk kicked out.
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Dez
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Dez » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:13 am

How did you like Zone Mortalis? I'm excited to try it myself.

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby wizardv12222 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 am

Created a sample map using excel. Took about 35the sheet of paper to make a 4x4sample table. I got some molds from hirst arts that i'm going to use to make some modular 3d, but that will take a while to cast.
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby wizardv12222 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Did some washes on the banshee's masks to bring out the breathing vents, and did a green wash on the eyes to make them pop. Also painted up some of the pistols and hilts of the swords using a Gloss black. Normally I don't use a ton of gloss, but I wanted to do something different.

Also gave that sword Dez pointed out a good filing and re-primed it.

Good catch man, I didn't prime these models originally and that spot turned out to be a drop of primer :evil: . After painting them, I feel like I should have stripped them first. Oh well, the "Gordon" only wanted them tabletop anyways.

My goal for this weekend is still to finish what is on my desk.

6 - Banshees
2 - Piranha
2 - Hammerhead tanks
6 - Gun drones
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Dez

Postby Dez » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:22 am

That's a pretty hefty goal, good luck!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:30 am

wizardv12222 wrote:Also gave that sword Dez pointed out a good filing and re-primed it.

Good catch man, I didn't prime these models originally and that spot turned out to be a drop of primer :evil: . After painting them, I feel like I should have stripped them first. Oh well, the "Gordon" only wanted them tabletop anyways.

I've pretty much adopted a "I'm not painting anything you've already painted unless you want me to strip it first" policy when it comes to my commissions now. Too many times I've been asked to just spray over something, and I'm left with a less-than-ideal amount of detail to work with. I'm starting to get really picky about doing pre-assembled models too, especially when they want Showcase quality. I had one Gordon who... I kid you not. No, I'm not making this up. He assembled his Space Marines using... oh god... Hot Glue. And where he didn't use Hot Glue, he tried using *just* the yellow part of Green Stuff. Which he then primed over, so I didn't notice until the joints started to wiggle while I painted them.

wizardv12222 wrote:My goal for this weekend is still to finish what is on my desk.

6 - Banshees
2 - Piranha
2 - Hammerhead tanks
6 - Gun drones

Dude, that is LOFTY. I hope you pull it off.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby wizardv12222 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 am

Epic Duck Mike wrote:He assembled his Space Marines using... oh god... Hot Glue. And where he didn't use Hot Glue, he tried using *just* the yellow part of Green Stuff. Which he then primed over, so I didn't notice until the joints started to wiggle while I painted them.

WOW!

Yea, I really feel like I should have known better, he bought them off ebay used, then reprimed them himself. Then spent about a year using them just primed, so when I started some of the prime had chipped off. Oh well the main goal was to have him stop using unpainted mini's on my table... even if I had to paint them myself ;)
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 am

wizardv12222 wrote:the main goal was to have him stop using unpainted mini's on my table... even if I had to paint them myself ;)

I hear ya there! Kind of my logic behind the 500 point armies thing... if people come to play at my place, I want to have painted models on-hand for battle reports and stuff. Not that I'll be doing too many 500 point battle reports, but it's a jump-off point and might provide some proxies.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby wizardv12222 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Progress report on my weekend.

Got the banshees nearly ready for the gemstones (last thing I'll paint on them)
Tau pilots and gunners got their armor started.

And also just to let you know just how ambitious my weekend is, I also stopped a antifreeze leak in the wife's car, cut and installed a new shelf above the kitchen sink, and installed some lighting under the shelf.

Later I got a couple people coming over for a 2 on 2 40k game.
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby wizardv12222 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Ok, I think I have got myself tapped out for today. Plans are to finish everything tomorrow.

here are some pictures for today's progress.

hammerhead gunner

piranha

Girls
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Dez

Postby Dez » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 am

Looking good! Just need to paint the base rims, and maybe add just one highlight or a complimentary detail color to the swords.

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby Blue » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 am

Tau are looking good so far dude. I like the yellow cloth the fire warriors are wearing. How did you paint that?
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”