Ben's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Ben's #thedailypaint

Post by Blue » Wed May 23, 2012 4:36 am

Looking good bud!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Midge913 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:05 am

Oceangrave0 wrote:Yep, that is definitely a dwarf, good looking model buddy!
Blue wrote:Looking good bud!
Thank you both for the kind words!

Tonight I almost finished the model up, but the backpack escaped me. After tracking it back down, I resolved to take just a wee bit of time over my self imposed deadline and finish it up tomorrow night. As I have finished the main body of the Dwarf, I should hope it wouldn't take me too long to finish the back pack. On to pictures:

I think that I have discovered the perfect settings for my little point and shoot camera that takes decent pictures of my models. I have found that everything was coming out with way too much contrast, but I think that I have softened things up, giving a more accurate representation of what the model really looks like in hand. Once I take the time to build a light box, I should be golden.

As always, comments and critiques are most welcome.
www.midge913.com
Commissions, Works in Progress, and Gallery
Follow me on Twitter:@MidgesWorkshop

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Fri May 25, 2012 2:30 am

Fantastic, I like it. It only bugs me that you've used a little amount of layers for certain things (white edging?).
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Fri May 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Holy crap that looks great! Really nice work on his skin bud.

This pic does look better (less contrast/darkened shadows) then previous pics.

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Midge913 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:40 am

Blue wrote:Holy crap that looks great! Really nice work on his skin bud.

This pic does look better (less contrast/darkened shadows) then previous pics.
A Luna wrote:Fantastic, I like it. It only bugs me that you've used a little amount of layers for certain things (white edging?).
Once again thanks for the compliments guys! I am most pleased with the end result as well.

Well I finally finished off the Master Engineer tonight. There isn't reall much more to say about him so here are the pics:

Just because I thought it would be cool, here is my Engineering department:biggrin:

Comments and critiques most welcome.
www.midge913.com

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 am

I love them. Lovely gritty looking stunties!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Midge913 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:I love them. Lovely gritty looking stunties!
Thanks M'lady!!! Glad you like them.

Well all I am back to the world of commissions! After finishing up that Dwarven Engineer for the May Painting Challenge over on Heresy, I am back in the saddle on this giant Warmachine commission that just keeps growing thanks to my generous client. Up next on the block is the intimidating Storm Strider:

I spent this evening working on getting the legs drilled and pinned. I will be shipping the Strider to the client in several pieces to try and avoid breakage in transit, so I will be magnetizing the thing together at the 'hips'. The platform will be removable and the platform, sphere, and lightning thingies on the top will be a solid piece. The Storm Smiths will also be left unglued for shipping purposes.

As far as the base goes, it is a 120mm round base so it has a lot of space to work with. The client and I are still discussing the specifics, but it is looking like the strider will be walking over a rocky outcropping, that has a pool of water at the top that runs down the rocks to another pool at the base. So it should look pretty cool when all finished up.

Anyhow, here is a WIP photo of my pinning extravaganza!

More when I have it.
www.midge913.com

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue May 29, 2012 11:36 pm

That is one impressive model.
I've never seen it before. Looks like a pain to assemble dude. Good luck, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 am

Good luck sir!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 am

Oh the strider... I remember hen I had to do it... my god it was a completely different monster than I thought, atleast you are doing urs in sub assembly, I did mine in like 2-3 parts.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Midge913 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:53 am

Blue wrote:That is one impressive model.
I've never seen it before. Looks like a pain to assemble dude. Good luck, can't wait to see what you do with it!
It is quite the impressive model, but in all honest the assembly is not as bad as you would expect. Some of the steps I have taken I don't think are really necessary unless you were planning on travelling with the big guy a lot. My primary concerns were shipping it back across the country, so I added a few extra pins to to make sure everything was nice and secure.
Lady_Soria wrote:Good luck sir!
Thank you Soria!!!
Oceangrave0 wrote:Oh the strider... I remember hen I had to do it... my god it was a completely different monster than I thought, atleast you are doing urs in sub assembly, I did mine in like 2-3 parts.
Yeah, the overall design of the model presents some challenges, but I am really enjoying the work I have done so far even though it hasn't really been painting. The Strider will be my largest non-Nid model to date, so I am really looking forward to the challenges this guy is already providing. I am one step more prepared for the arrival of the Storm Wall Colossal that he is sending me after its release.

To that end I was talking with my client about the base. I have always felt that base work has always been the weakest part of my craft so to speak, and I thought "What better way to get some practice in, than to go nuts on the base of a big model." So I talked to him about a few concepts and he turned me onto a wonderful little blog that had also completed a Strider and it had a wonderful tutorial for a trenchwork base. One of the things that the client wanted from the base, was for it to bring the Strider up a bit higher once it was sat upon the base. So after reading a couple of blogs and tutorials, as well as running around crazy for the last couple of days trying to find everything that I am going to need for this project, I got to work this evening laying down basing material on the large 120mm base that the Strider comes with. Here were the results of the evening:

There is going to eventually be barbed wire, sandbags, some water effects, added sand and dirt, some pieces of metal, and some enemy soldiers on the base eventually. It is really pushing me to develop some new skills that, until now, I had really been avoiding. So far I am enjoying the challenge and I hope that the thing turns out looking like I am visualizing it to be in my head.

Until next time, any comments critiques and tips from you basing gurus out there would be much appreciated.
www.midge913.com

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:03 am

Oh.... the Stormwall.... my friend, u and I are gonna be in the same boat.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Midge913 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:45 am

Yeah more really productive work going on tonight!!!! But first I want to throw up the link to the blog that I have been reading that has been helping me with the Strider base. This guy really does some good stuff. His site is called Hand Cannon Online and I have really found his write ups very helpful.

Well on to the meat and potatoes: I got a bunch of work done on the Strider base as I said before. In all actuality I got it well over half-way done. I am going to be adding some Khador Winter Guard troopers to the base, both in the trench and running away, that I just ordered on Ebay this evening. I am also going to be adding some sand and scree to even out the transitions between some of the stepped levels in some places. I am actually really pleased with the way that it has come out so far and I am hoping that the client is as stoked about it as I am. On to the pictures:

Front:

right side:

Left side:

Rear:

I am pretty eager to get to the paint on this guy, but that is still a ways off in all honesty. However, since I need to wait on my shipment, I am probably going to start painting on the Storm Smith's tomorrow night. That way I can move this guy along some while I wait for more stuff for the base.

Comments and critiques more than welcome.
www.midge913.com

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:52 am

The base seem perfect dude. Has a little bit of everything and tells a small story.
Well done!

Sarkastik
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Sarkastik » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Looks good! Can't wait to see it painted!
My Armies:
CSM - WIP
Tyranids - WIP

Twitter - @Sarkastic87

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”