Ben's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Farseer Oz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Ben's #thedailypaint

Post by Farseer Oz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Love it.... Client will be very happy
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Midge913 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 am

wizardv12222 wrote:Looks good man!
Blackwraith wrote:That looks amazing man!
Farseer Oz wrote:Love it.... Client will be very happy
Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Well I have been away from the painting table for awhile due to other obligations, weddings, out of state car drives, work, packing, unpacking, and re-packing for my upcoming vacation. But last night and tonight I managed to get some work in on the next two pieces I will be working on, a pair of Minuteman Light Warjacks. not a lot of progress, but I have gotten the bases sorted, as soon as my water effects dry, and I have started laying base coats and a few shading washes on the jacks themselves. So here is my minimal progress as it stands.

on the second base there the Jack is going to be straddling the two little 'islands', with the water running underneath. Thought it was a nice effect and it was my first time using water effects, so we will see what it looks like when it is fully dry.

Comments and critiques welcome as always.
www.midge913.com
Commissions, Works in Progress, and Gallery
Follow me on Twitter:@MidgesWorkshop

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:27 am

Good luck with the water effects. I wait with baited breath for more of your Warjack awesomeness.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Midge913 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:20 pm

<blows dust off log>

Well folks it seems like it has been ages since I posted any of my model work here, that is mostly because it has. Despite the fact that it has been a long time without an update, I have not been idle. I have been continuing on with this massive commission and I am pleased to say that I have completed a few more pieces and I am in progress with more. So to start things off, here are the finished shots of two Cygnar Minuteman Warjacks and a Circle Orboros Wold Guardian:

All of these pieces were a lot of fun to paint, especially the Wold Guardian. I have really come to appreciate the sculpts and casts of the Privateer Press line especially their metals. The Wold Guardian is an all metal model, but due to its intelligent component design it is very solid when put together, even without pinning.

Anyhow, I have started in on a unit of Arcane Gunmages, the first of three full units that are part of this commission, and I must say that where I really like the sculpts, I started out having a hard time getting the color palette to match the studio scheme that the client requested. No matter what I did the great coats came out too green. After several challenging sessions, I finally just took a step back, and really thought out how to get the grey-blue-green color of the coats as displayed on the PP website and finally worked out the colors and got them back on track. Along with this unit I am working on a Gunmage Officer and Captain Adept. Here are the WIP shots of that unit:

I have been working on these Gunmages, but as I continued on with them I continued to feel like there was something not quite right about my color choices on them. First it was the colors on the greatcoats, they were too green and needed more blending with a bluish color to sit more readily with the overall blue scheme of the Cygnar line. Recently it has been the leathers that have been giving me issues. The first two attempts at them left me with leather that was far too reddish, the warmth of the browns negatively contrasting with the coolness of the blue-green coats and blue armor and banding. It took a protracted session behind the painting desk on my day off on Monday to finally get the leathers to the point that I wanted them..... All it took was a complete strip of those areas and a re-paint starting from a different direction. I have managed to complete two of the 6 gunmages and I am confident that with since I have nailed down the recipe for the leather colors, the rest should go much more smoothly. Here are some photos, please let me know what you think.

I am glad to be back around the boards here and I hope to make my rounds soonish to see what the reast of you have been working on.
www.midge913.com

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:31 pm

As always very nicely done.

And welcome back!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Midge913 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:21 am

Thanks M'lady. Glad you like them and thanks for the warm welcome back.

Well tonight I powered through and got the leather parts on the remaining 4 Gunmages. All that is left on them is some highlights on the metallics and fleshtones. I think that I have plenty of time to meet my self imposed deadline of tomorrow night. I WILL have finished photos tomorrow night!
www.midge913.com

Farseer Oz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Farseer Oz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 am

Love that Stone Guardian looking thing, the work on the green really brings the model to life and your did well on the stone colours as well.

Reminds me of Darksiders 2 :)
Eldar Biel-Tan 18,740 pts - 8,069 pts painted
Chaos Daemons 2,600 pts - 840 pts painted

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Midge913 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Farseer Oz wrote:Love that Stone Guardian looking thing, the work on the green really brings the model to life and your did well on the stone colours as well.

Thanks Farseer!

Well I did it. I made a huge push last night and got these Gunmages knocked out. I am not happy with the photos as for some reason my camera just did not want to cooperate with me, but they are done and I am happy with the models. Here they are:

So I am stoked that I now have one of the three units involved in the commission done. Next up I will be finishing off the Officer attachments for this unit and then I will be moving onto Artificier General Nemo and Caitlin Finch.
www.midge913.com

Smartah
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:56 pm

They look great, Ben. Looking forward to more
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 am

Those look awesome!

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Midge913 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 am

Smartah wrote:They look great, Ben. Looking forward to more
Lady_Soria wrote:Those look awesome!
Thanks to both of you!

Well after suffering since Thanksgiving with one of the worst cases of bronchitis that I have ever had, I am finally back at the painting table. I am sooooo glad that my client is an understanding fellow. Anyhow, I managed to get a good bit of work done on the Gunmage Officer. He is still a bit rough on the metallics and they need quite a bit of work, but I am on my way to getting another piece completed. I am hoping that that will produce a good surge of momentum. Here he is:

Comments and Critiques are always welcome!
www.midge913.com

balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Looing good, the blue cloth really shaded well, even without the usual edge highlights! Good to know you are back to painting and breathing
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Farseer Oz wrote:Love that Stone Guardian looking thing, the work on the green really brings the model to life and your did well on the stone colours as well.

This, the greens look fantastic.

I wish I could do faces like your gunmage officer. Very nice.

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Midge913 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:45 am

Nappen wrote:

This, the greens look fantastic.

I wish I could do faces like your gunmage officer. Very nice.
balangaz wrote:Looing good, the blue cloth really shaded well, even without the usual edge highlights! Good to know you are back to painting and breathing
Thanks for the comments guys! Glad you liked them.

Well tonight after muddling through a weekend of birthday parties and other familial responsibilities, I was finally able to get back to the painting table this evening. I am happy to say that I managed to get the Gunmage Officer completed.

Next up on the block is the quarter-completed Gunmage Captain. I will be jumping in on him hopefully Thursday night. Comments and critiques are welcome as always.
www.midge913.com

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”