Ben's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Ben's #thedailypaint

Postby Midge913 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:11 am

Blue wrote:The base seem perfect dude. Has a little bit of everything and tells a small story.
Well done!

Thanks man, I hope that with the addition of the bits I got in the mail today that story unfolds a little more. I am really enjoying working on the base, and I am not sure why I have never attempted to do more of this kind of thing on my own.

Sarkastik wrote:Looks good! Can't wait to see it painted!

Thanks mate! To be honest, neither can I. I am putting so much work into this one it, like the thunderhead, will be difficult to send back to the Gordon. It would look so spanky cool in my display case.

I got some of my stuff that I ordered off the interenet. I have added the Khador casualty and coward:biggrin:

I also added some varying ballast and sand to add some texture to the base. I think that it is complete barring the Winter Guard Officer that is going to go in the trench itself.

It is my plan to break out the airbrush and get to work on the leg section of the strider tomorrow night. I think I want to get that painted before I paint the base as I may need to make minor adjustments to the base in relation to the final position of the legs. So, more when I have it.
www.midge913.com
Commissions, Works in Progress, and Gallery
Follow me on Twitter:@MidgesWorkshop

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby Blue » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:13 am

Awesome dude. Can't wait to see some mini on that thing!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby Midge913 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Blue wrote:Awesome dude. Can't wait to see some mini on that thing!

Thanks mate! Me neither!

I have gotten a decent amount of work done over the last couple of hours. The rest of my bits came in yesterday and I have now fitted, and removed for paint, the female Winter Guard Officer that will be standing in the trench. I also got basecoats laid down on just about everything barring the to Storm Smiths. I will be falling back behind the brushes tomorrow night to really get moving on this bad lad. I think that I am going to start from the ground up, getting the base fully painted, then moving up to the leg section, finally the sphere and platform, before knocking out the Storm Smiths at the end. Lots of work still needs to be done, but I am hoping that over the course of the next week I will be able to get a good chunk of it done. The wife and midgets are heading out Wednesday night for a couple of days at the lake with my folks, so I will have the entire house to myself for two nights. Should be interesting to see how much I can get done while they are away.

Until next time.
www.midge913.com

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby Midge913 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 am

Well I have been a busy little painting bee over the last couple of hours and I got a hell of a lot of work done on the base for the Strider. However, before I get to that, I want to talk about some airbrushing stuff. I have been teaching myself to use my airbrush, something my wife insisted upon since I spent so much money on it, but I have been most annoyed at the methods of masking that are out there, mostly for rounded pieces. I found that on all of my test models the blue tape or the specially made model car masking gel tape never quite took a curve well and that the paint inevitably made its way under the masking, totally defeating the purpose. Now, I have been on the look out for a good product that would do what I want, but I just could never find something that really worked. Well I finally found it.

For some reason I got it into my head, I am not sure where the inspiration came from, to use sticky tack as a masking agent for things. I am sure that it has been done and I don't know if it was a project log that I was following or a youtube video that turned me onto the idea, so I am no way shape of form taking credit for the inception of its use in this venue, I am merely thanking whatever artist out there who was the one to inspire me, because it worked very well. I just molded the tack around the areas that I wanted masked and viola!

Anyhow I started lastnight getting basecoats down on things and since I am changing to this Cygar Commission for the Army Painting challenge over on Heresy, I needed a proof picture so I took one:

Tonight's session was filled with painting work on the base that I have fallen in love with. I believe I have finally gotten over my fear of basing and have already launched myself into my idea notebook, jotting down a bunch of things that I want to try in the future. Anyhow, here is a nights labor:

I am going to jump into painting the Khador guys on the base tomorrow, as I believe, other than the addition of some static grass here and there, I am nearly done with the paint on it.

More when I have it.
www.midge913.com

Sarkastik
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Postby Sarkastik » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:22 am

Wow, that base is amazing dude! Good work!
My Armies:
FTs - 2250 pts (75% Painted)
CSM - 1850pts - (45% Painted)
DE - 1750pts - (15% Painted)

Twitter - @Sarkastic87

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby Midge913 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:08 am

Sarkastik wrote:Wow, that base is amazing dude! Good work!

Thanks man, I am pretty pleased with it myself :P

More progress on the base. 1/3 Khador guys down!

Tonight I also finally finished cleaning and inspecting all the other pieces that I will be working on over the coming months. It is a lot of stuff and a bit overwhelming to be honest. I am just going to have to approach it one piece at a time, worrying about the current project to the exclusion of the others. Anyhow, I will be back at it tomorrow night, hopefully I will finish the base and be moving on to the Strider legs.
www.midge913.com

Lady_Soria

Postby Lady_Soria » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:36 am

It is looking AMAZING!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby Blue » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:31 am

Sick dude! Really coming along nicely.

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby Midge913 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:11 am

Lady_Soria wrote:It is looking AMAZING!

Blue wrote:Sick dude! Really coming along nicely.

Thanks a bunch guys! It really means a lot to have you comment. This is really my first foray into basing that isn't just some sand and some static grass, so I really do appreciate the fact that it is being well received.

Well I have been a busy bee over the last 48 hours. I managed to finally get the base completed and I got a start on the metallics for the legs. I am really pleased with how the base came out in the end, so any comments or suggestions that you have that could make things better in the future, don't hesitate to give a shout out. On to the pics:

And a shot of my progress on the legs:

Tomorrow being father's day I don't know that I am going to have much time to paint, but if I am able to sit down and get some work done I will make sure to share it.
www.midge913.com

Blue

Postby Blue » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 am

Happy Fathers Day bud!

I think the final base will really display that large thing very well!
Maybe add some vegetation. I know the ground has been chewed up and such but there's always a little bit growing here or there. I would try to stick to the darker side of brown/tan grass. Maybe the burnt grass will look good here too.

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby A Luna » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 am

That's gonna be one awesome thing. Was never a fan of that miniature but to see someone paint one up is still impressive.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Oceangrave0 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:51 pm

loookin boss bro! can't wait to see it done!

I think its kinda funny that the first time I log onto twitter in like 8 months I get a "similar to you" link to ur twitter i believe xD
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby Midge913 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:02 am

Blue wrote:Happy Fathers Day bud!

I think the final base will really display that large thing very well!
Maybe add some vegetation. I know the ground has been chewed up and such but there's always a little bit growing here or there. I would try to stick to the darker side of brown/tan grass. Maybe the burnt grass will look good here too.

I agree completely on the vegetation. I picked up some tall grass and dead grass flock over the weekend and I will be adding that to the base when I have time. Thanks for the complements and comments man.

A Luna wrote:That's gonna be one awesome thing. Was never a fan of that miniature but to see someone paint one up is still impressive.

Thanks mate. I have actually always been a fan of this model. I love the lightning coils on the Cygnar stuff, it just makes them stand out so much once painted.

Oceangrave0 wrote:loookin boss bro! can't wait to see it done!

I think its kinda funny that the first time I log onto twitter in like 8 months I get a "similar to you" link to ur twitter i believe xD

Thanks man! I can't wait to see it done either, though I don't want to rush it obviously. If you found @midgesworkshop, that is me :D

Well tonight I made excellent headway on the legs. I have finished all the metallics, save the glowing ports, and I made a bit of progress on the blues. I just looked down at the clock and realized what time it is and with that realization came the exhaustion. I will make sure to leave time at the end of my session tomorrow to take some photographs. So photos tomorrow.

Night all.
www.midge913.com

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Postby Midge913 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:26 am

Tonight I remembered to take photographs!!! So I got down to the business of gluing together the leg assembly so I could get a good idea for where my highlights on the blue armor were going to fall. I also made sure that the legs lined up to the places I had left on my scenic base. I have quite a bit of work to still be getting on with obviously, but I got a really good start on the blues for everything. Two shading washes has been done on all the blues, plus the first layer of highlighting on the leg armor. I really feel like things are really starting to come together with this piece. On to the pics:

I think that I am going to be fairly hard pressed to get it done by the end of the month for the painting challenge, but I think that it is going to be close.

More when I have it and always comments and critiques are most welcome.
www.midge913.com

Blue

Postby Blue » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:58 am

Midge913 wrote: I really feel like things are really starting to come together with this piece.

Literally! :lol:
What silver metallic did you use here?

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”