It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dez #thedailypaint
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:17 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Epic Duck Mike wrote:
Dude, I am all about the Sake bombs at Hibachis! Next year at Games Day ;)

Well that means I have to go ahead and invite myself again :P

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Hell yeah! The funny thing is I think our wives were embarrassed at first, but were oddly proud of us at the end for the spectacle haha.

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:15 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I guess I'm getting old. I started hacking away with my exacto knife, and the break in my hand is just making it too hard to get any more done tonite. I did work on my MotM entry for a while ;)

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am 

I got the urge to paint something for FoW, but I don't have anything. Instead, I worked on my Harker conversion for my IG Kill team. The color scheme I'm going for is US late WW2. I'm going to be adding a lot to it, especially as they are renegade guard :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
looking good Dez! I can't wait to see him done

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:04 am 

I've got some fun freehand ideas to try out, especially on the shoulder pad and mask. I'm also going to take a stab at simple NMM. I'm not sure how good it will come out, I didn't thin the gray enough but..whatever. I'm not going for Golden Demons, it's just a Kill Team so I could buld/paint something different ;)

Something I noticed that may help people learning to highlight or do OSL: Taking a picture with the flash on will give you a very nice idea of where the light is hitting. I might have to make that my tutorial ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:38 pm 
The Duckiest!

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
When I started playing with Global Illumination and OSL, one of the first things I did was take a box, spray the interior black, and cut two holes - one to shine light through, and one for the camera to see the model through. With a white-primed model, I could get a perfect photo of where the light (typically from straight overhead) would fall, and used that as a painting guide.

Just something worth trying if you want a really accurate sunlight-style global illumination map ;)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:52 am 

Tonite, I played a game! We are practicing for the PAX East tournament. It was Orks vs IG and I tabled my opponent by turn 4. My list was:

Mad Dok Grotsnik

Mega Armored Warboss
-cybork
-bosspole

Meganobz x5 (Warboss in this unit, counts as Troops)
-Kombiskorcha x3
-kombirokkit
-Shoota
-trukk
=Reinforced Ram
=Red Paint Job (forgot the whole game)

Meganobz x3
-Kombiskorcha
-kombirokkit
-Shoota
-trukk
=Reinforced Ram
=Red Paint Job (forgot the whole game)

Kommandoz x15 (Mad Dok Grotsnik)
-Snikrot
-Burnaz x2

Boyz x12
-Nob
=PK & BP
-Trukk
=Reinforced Ram

Deffkopta
=TLRL

Deffkopta
=TLRL

Deffkopta
=TLRL

Killa Kan
-Big Shoota

My opponent (Roughly)

Astropath
Command Squad
-Melta x3

Heavy weapons x3
-Lascannon

Heavy weapons x3
-Autocannons

Veterans x10
-Melta x3
-Vendetta

Veterans x10
-Melta x3
-Vendetta

Veterans x10
-Melta x3
-Chimaera

Veterans x10
-Melta x3
-Chimaera

Huge blob of infantry, 30 guys. 3 SGT had Power Weapon and Plasma Pistol, Commissar with Power Weapon.

I only lost 3 Trukks to kill points. The big killer was my opponent not deploying up far enough, and I just multicharged him to death.

The mission we played is this one:

Mission 1
Planetfall

INCOMING ENEMY TRANSPORTS

Deployment:
Spearhead. (modified)
Three objectives placed 12” apart along the center line of the table (short)

Special Rules
Nightfight (Turn one Only)
Dropzone. All attacker units may be deployed via Deepstrike Turn 1, or move on from the attackers board edge. Any mishap results of “destroyed” from this initial Deepstrike are treated as returned to “normal” reserve (i.e. they missed their LZ and have to walk/drive to the battle, no Deepstrike unless unit is able to do so normally)

all Defender Units gain the Rule Scout, if they already Scout, they gain Infiltrate

VCs
Primary (15pts): Attacker Win More Killpoints than the Defender in the Defenders deployment zone at the end of the game. (Immobilized Vehicles/walkers, fleeing units DO NOT COUNT)
Secondary: Win (10Pts) Kill all opponent Hqs, Draw Kill one HQ(5pts)
Tertiary: Win (5Pts) Hold more objectives than your Opponent, Draw (2Pts)Same number of objectives

Game length
Standard Random game length.
(3+ for turn 6, 4+ turn 7)

I was the attacker, IG the defender. I kept Kommandoz, MGD, and the 3 Deffkoptaz in reserves. He deployed his blob, HW LC, HW AC, and CS in the middle between both Hydras. He kept all 4 units of Vets in reserves/outflanking.

I moved my trukks 12" from the edge of my board behind a Bastion and did some shooting into the blob. Killa Kan did the same, ended up killing a couple mooks. I was done.

He opened fire with everything, but because of Night Fight the only damage he did was to asplode the trukk with the boyz in it, which were covering the other 2 trukks. I rolled a 2 on the Ramshackle chart, there was 1 wound done and the boy saved!

Round 2 saw Snikrot, Kommandoz and MGD come onto the board. All the Deffkoptaz stayed in reserves. This was a huge turn, as I was able to Conga Line the kommandoz and multicharge every unit he had deployed except for the blob. I ended up killing everything, including the tanks and consolidation 5" into cover. My trukk with 3 MANZ moved up 12" and the MANZ hopped out to assault the AC teams just in case....but I made a rookie error and forgot to charge them as I was so excited to see what the kommandoz would do (I blame beer). My other trukk went 18" towards my right board edge around the Bastion, getting ready to flank charge in case things didn't go well in combat...which they obviously did ;)

On his turn, everything came in from reserves and came in on my right board edge...right where my trukk full of MANZ and 3 MANZ were. The Vendettas and One Chimaera let out their troops, and everything opened up on my Trukk (which consequently exploded) and the Boss and Manz. Ridiculous cover saves and awesome 2+ Orky Armor saves happened, in the end I lost 2 wounds off the Boss and 1 Man died. The Blob opens fire on the Kommandoz, killing 2. I even forgot FNP, noob (I blame beer again).

Turn 3, and 2 of my Deffkoptaz come screaming onto the board and open fire on one of the Chimaeras. They both fail miserably. They charge in, and manage to shake it. The 3 Manz hop back in their ride, and cruise 12" over to my right hand board edge. They did some shooting, I don't recall it doing much. Meanwhile, the boss and the Manz multicharge the Vendetta, Chimaera and a unit of vets and of course decimate things. They consolidate back into the cover of their wrecked trukk. The Kommandoz waltz out of cover to invite the Blob to the BBQ. The Blob accepts their invitations, and BBQ is had! My Gork do I love Burnas!

On the IG players turn, he moves his shaken chimaera up and lets out the vets. They move up and combine shooting with his other vet squad on the boss and boyz. Neener Neener pumpkin eater, he does a wound. Both vet units charge in, and end up doing more wounds that way. They actually killed 1 Man and the Warboss. I dumped my remaining attacks into one of the units, and cause it to break and run. They are still over 50% and can regroup. Meanwhile, I forgot to mention the now foot slogging Ork boyz have been sneaking up to the right side of the board as well. The surviving Vendetta and Vets open up on the 3 MANZ, the Boyz laugh because it's tickling them and the light show is spectacular.

Turn 4, the Kan moves up and DAKKA DAKKA the fleeing 5 man group, killing one and ruining all hopes of them coming back. MANZ x3 move in with Kombiskorcha cooking the entire unit. One Deffkopta leaps over the combat and puts a Rokkit right into the Vendettas tailpipe, wrecking it. The Boyz charge into the one surviving Vet squad locking in combat with the MANZ and those vets will no longer be writing any letters home.

It was an absolute massacre :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm 

Last night I got my stuff ready to paint...and then ended up on a search for FoW stuff ;) I did get a nice base coat on my Nob mini, so I'm ready to roll with that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm 
The Duckiest!

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
That battle report made for great "I'm freaking bored at work" reading... thanks ;)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:17 am 

Haha I like batreps for that reason too. In fact reading batreps before I had any opponents helped me learn a lot of tactics!

Tonite, I put some weathering on Killa Kanz and a Deff Dread. I want them done this week by the 19th, so I'm going to concentrate on them. Work so far:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 pm 

I've been working on my Kill Team the past few days, when I should really finish the Kanz and Dread!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 pm 

Pfft finish all of them!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:39 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Thems some nice orks. O_O

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:52 am 

Thanks Lady_Soria!

So, E.G.A.D.D. (Excitable Gamer Attention Deficit Disorder) trumped again and I worked on 2 Platoons of US Airborne for Flames of War.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next