Mike's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Mike's #thedailypaint

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Painting a gold wizard wouldn't really use the 3 Reaper colours shown... I don't see how they'd ever pass for gold ;)

Been a busy night, volunteering, walking Jango and whatnot... I was about to set up the Tripod and begin a bit of filming when I realized it was already 11PM... so I'll work on a video tomorrow. I hope. Friday is a holiday at least, no excuse not to finish one then!

I really need a clone... or at the very least, someone to manage my time for me and keep me on-task at all times. Which doesn't sound very fun :P
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 am

Actually ended up putting some paint on a Dark Eldar Warrior last night, woo! Thinking I'll finish that model tonight, get a video done tomorrow, and then use the weekend to wrap up a few commissions.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:43 am

I have seen silver gold wizards... I think... It was a Heavy Metal painting competition ages ago.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:I have seen silver gold wizards... I think... It was a Heavy Metal painting competition ages ago.
That just confuses me. That's like trying to paint green orks with red paint - it can't be done.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
Lady_Soria wrote:I have seen silver gold wizards... I think... It was a Heavy Metal painting competition ages ago.
That just confuses me. That's like trying to paint green orks with red paint - it can't be done.
it CAN.... it just will be weird and most likely evilly possessed.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:02 pm

I think it was a different type of wizard with a mask more normally associated with a Gold wizard. I think the name, beyond the colour of the wind of magic they use, is a bit mis leading, they use a bunch of different metals anyway.

:: laughs:: Maybe an Iron Warrior character, or a Bretonnian Knight.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

fluffyfen
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by fluffyfen » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:47 pm

hey Mike have you posted a video up yet on some other site im slightly confused o.o.. or have you just been editting to be able to put some up?
Bromanced to my Brosband - BewareOfTom

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:24 pm

I haven't posted a video anywhere since Epic Hobby Episode 1, not sure what's confusing about that. I've filmed a lot, but I haven't edited anything lately.

I did, however, paint this guy this morning:

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Ok, I didn't realize "Gold Wizard" referred to a specific model, that makes much more sense now :P

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Alright, I'm grumpy right now. I just started going through a lot of the older painting videos I'd recorded but never got around to editing. One of them is incomplete, missing maybe the last 30 minutes of the recording... most of the rest are overexposed, underexposed or poorly focused, or suck in some other way. I'm kind of pissed at myself right now, because I *thought* I had a good 7-8 videos backed up and just waiting for me to edit them.... but they're subpar by a good amount, and I think I'd just be fed up with them while editing. Jango (my dog) knocked my camera over and broke the Viewfinder a few months ago, so while the camera still works fine, I need to attach a TV to it to use as an external viewfinder, and I'm guessing the TV's colour/brightness doesn't exactly represent what's being recorded.

So yea... not sure what to do right now. I have about 12 hours (conservative guess) of wasted footage at the moment... I could just forget about all of it, start things from scratch, but that means even *longer* before I get another video out there.

So to recap.... I am grumpy.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:07 pm

/offers cookie:sorry to hear that man

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 pm

sad panda is sad, feel bettr mike
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:52 am

Bitter dude. Can't the video monkeys at MWG fix it in the editing process?

I had some footage that I thought was bad but when I looked back at it a few weeks later and edited it together it worked out just fine. Maybe just do it and see what happens...

Nice DE dude!

EDIT: Mike, what non metallic color (from any paint range) would you say is the best match with Blackened Steel? I'm looking for a dark gray that I can wash black and have the outcome be close to but not black for my fire warriors boots and gloves.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:42 am

I may edit a few of them anyway... I know for a fact I'm my own worst critic, they may not bother anyone else as much as me ;)

I'm not sure what paint would actually be that dark, Blue. Even the Reaper MSP HD "Armor Grey" isn't much darker than Foundation Adeptus Battlegrey. You might well be stuck taking a dark grey, adding a touch of black, and making your wash from there.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Minimal painting done today, due to family Easter Plans and Volunteering... BUT I did I record a short tutorial, and I'm hoping I'm actually happy with this one. I'll check it out in the morning, and if it's workable I'll edit it up for later in the day (assuming my PC doesn't crash rendering the video or anything else... just got that sort of feeling now)

I think I need someone to do Time Management for me. I have Models and Bases I want to create, let alone painting what I already own... I get distracted by things like sleep and food and work and dispatching digital zombies...

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”