Mike's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Mike's #thedailypaint

Post by Blue » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Epic Duck Mike wrote: Blue, your feedback would be valuable!
You asked for it... :wink:

The newer sketch looks better but (maybe it's just the mockup) the Eyebot seems incredibly small. One of it's hands is about the size of the Eyebot.

Image Image
I like this one a lot. Minus the wings of course. It resembles the 'classic' more.

I'm just going to randomly throw some thoughts out there...
- Instead of 'Eyebot Classic' how about making it the 'Eyebot'. And then make a smaller version calling it 'Eyebot Ver1.0' "The original Eyebot was the first prototype that was put into mass production but was soon replaced by a smaller more versatile version, Ver1.0."

-I really like the idea of the Eyebots themselves being the 'brain' basically and able to mount into suits to accomplish certain tasks. (I think of Metroid Prime and how the ball would snap into place in the various ports in the game)
Epic Duck Mike wrote:I'm having trouble visualizing how to attach powerful limbs or heavy weapons directly to a floating eye in a lot of cases
-How about a side mount, no arms. Think of Eyebot and his seat. It comes over the back of the eye to lock it into place. I think a similar setup (perhaps beefier) with a small attachment(that rides up the side of the Eyebot) on it's right side for a heavy weapon. So it's still fairly flush with the body and directly level with it.

-For heavy weapons you could have the chassis' hands be different parts of a weapon and they combine them to fire. Something like a diamond drill bit hand, laser cutter hand, and 2 scooper hands. The drill bit and laser cutter are useful tools in a broad array of applications and the 2 scooper hands can be used to scoop things and do menial tasks(maybe they also house some microchip and wires integral for the weapon to operate). By locking the drill bit into the laser cutter then encasing it all in the scooper hands the Eyebot can fire it's weapon. Maybe also have the actual eye of the Eyebot be a 'part' of the weapon. Something like the hands amplify the eye's radioactivity(?) to the point where it can cut through steel.

-the first weapon idea there seems more militarized and can also be incorporated onto the treaded chassis. The second would seem more fitting for exploring new worlds or dark caverns as well as have construction/excavating applications.

-I wouldn't expressly rule out the use of torso's either but I feel that the torso should be mostly Eyebot. I like how the Eyebot Classic has that thin 'port' it rests in.

-Idea.... How about a chassis that three Eyebots could fit into for a certain purpose. Maybe to fire the heavy weapon located in the middle?

-I like OctupEye, good underwater scout/explorer. Maybe the hands could be like those odd pliers that... hold on.... These.
Image So that the claws retract into the tentacles.
-I like the idea of the encasement but again I feel it's too beefy. Loose the shoulder pads, eh, loose the shoulders all together and that hinged stuff under there. Take each side of the encasement and give it a booster on it's back. Add an arm underneath each side. That can be how the Eyebot loads in and out. It lands on it's hands like landing gear and the encasement opens like an egg. For this one too I think it would be cool if the Eyebots eye was still showing through the encasement. So each side would have a semi-circle cut out where the eye would lock into.

-The armed military model does look good. The Eyebot seems perfectly proportional. I agree with you that the shoulders are too big and maybe bringing them closer to the body would help.

-I like the treads but the arms are overwhelming. Maybe a scoop on the back or a plow/dozer on the front.

-The arachnid is awesome. Great missle pods.

-The one beneath that reminds me of a warhound titan. :P

-The bipedal with backback is a cool concept. Great for around the house duties and errands!

- Also like the smaller four legged arachnid.

-The dude with the wheel reminds me of something I can't remember... but I like it! Just loose the torso section.

-The blue and gray one with the star would be a great design for 'Eyebot Sumo Wrestling' or 'Eyebot Boxing'. Big wigs in society could buy one and have it fight in the arena.

-No comment on the evil teddy bear as it brought back some bad repressed memories...

Overall I feel the Eyebot should be the focus save a few larger chassis'. The arms on a lot of the concepts seemed way too big as well as other random areas. If they're going to have hands maybe keep them on the smaller side, similar to Eyebot classic. Instead of hands though maybe it would be better to have certain tools specific to their roles. Dozer blades, drill bits, video camera/microphone, sledgehammer, etc. (I want to see a comm Eyebot chassis with a little satellite dish for a hand. :wink: )
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by wizardv12222 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:41 pm

All of your new eyebot sketches make me think of Portal 2. Look cool though and I'd love to see some mini's made of them.
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Blue.... THANKS! Seriously, just needed someone to throw some of that at me. Exactly what I needed to hear.

RE: The hands being too large or these just being ridiculously proportioned... that's really just a side-effect of using random shape generation for brainstorming. I'd reduce anything ridiculous like that to an acceptable scale ;)

My own thinking was flawed for a lot of these, I was looking at the Eye as a "head" rather than a "pilot" in a vehicle/suit/etc... The weird part is, I *knew* I was doing that wrong, but it just didn't click in. This may be a side effect of my brain not being used often enough the past several months ;)

I'm going to fire some new sketches up tomorrow, maybe take one or two of them to 3D... but I also have a lot planned tomorrow, so I'm guessing I'll mostly just get things on paper.
Blue wrote:The dude with the wheel reminds me of something I can't remember... but I like it! Just loose the torso section.
Gizmoduck, from Darkwing Duck - just realized it when you said that ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:47 am

Epic Duck Mike wrote:Gizmoduck, from Darkwing Duck - just realized it when you said that
YES! :shock:
This brought back so many memories... :lol:

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Well this weekend was a bust... I haven't picked up a brush or done any design work at all... closest I got was writing down the list of DailyPainters to mention in a video I didn't get time to record.

I think I'm spreading myself WAY too thin. I have website design clients that aren't getting taken care of, overdue commissions, Deathmatch models, minis to design, bases to create, my own website to rebuild, videos to make, tutoring my little sister, working out/walking my dog, home renovations, the Big Brother thing... oh right, and I have a job on top of all of that. I sort of want to just eliminate like, half of that... but the problem is, I love doing all of it. The problem is, all the painting is beginning to feel like an obligation (and to be fair, commissions are) which is kind of killing the enjoyment of it.

I need help, and I don't even know where to begin.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:06 pm

:( I wish I could help Mike.... But I don't even know what I could do to help.. you know other than figure out a way for you not to need sleep.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:49 pm

If you need any help from me Mike you know where to find me, I know a decent amount of web design and graphic design, not close to your standards, but enough that I am willing to give it a shot.
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 pm

My brother-in-law might be helping there, thankfully :) Yea, sleep really ruins my productivity... almost as much as the lack of it does!

fluffyfen
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by fluffyfen » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

maybe take a break from commisions?
otherwise you could just emliminate sleep, restroom breaks, meals, and social life all together? :D
Bromanced to my Brosband - BewareOfTom

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:46 am

Catheter for the win!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Blue

Post by Blue » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:Catheter for the win!
See! FUNNY! :lol:

Mike where ya been? I see you online right now....

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Ok, so I feel I should bring people up to speed.

1) My new job ROCKS! The downside is that it's added some commuting time to my day, so I've losing a little bit of painting time every day as a result. I also accidentally worked late like, 7 out of 10 days in the last 2 weeks, simply because I loved what I was doing and I wasn't watching the clock for quitting time.

2) Starting tomorrow, I'm carpooling with another guy. This should help keep me on a tighter schedule, since I doubt he'll want to wait around while I'm caught up in my work. I've also been told by management to just hit save and leave at the 8 hour mark :P

3) I got my new Airbrush today! I'm now the proud owner of a Master Series G444. Hoping to break that in tomorrow :D

4) I.. uh... forgot what number 4 is. Right! The room in my basement which I'm renovating into my new, permanent painting room, now has new windows! Thanks to MWG Joe for coming by and helping with that. I'm going to begin framing in the walls and running the electrical very soon. No idea when that project will be done, but I foresee a great increase in painting and video productivity once I do. Of course, it's easy to see a great increase over "none", but I digress.

So April was basically a write-off painting wise... and while I know I did paint a few days, and spent some days designing Eyebots, I think I'm going to be pretty harsh on myself and just rack up 25 extra penalty models... which means that if i actually pay my penalties, my armies should be two squads richer. I'm actually tempted to paint my Ork Nobz (I've got about 10 of them primed) but my Crons and DE could use the love too. So many Xenos, so little time.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 am

Driving to work today, I was cruising alongside a car with a highly polished carbon fibre hood, and I couldn't help but think "Man, it would be sweet if I could develop a painting technique that looks like Carbon Fibre". Trying to think of what army that would look best on, my thoughts turned to my never-gets-enough-attention Tau army. I've already started them with a clean white armour look, and I think accenting that with some exposed carbon fibre elements would really bring out their technologically advanced nature.

I have no idea if it'll work out or not, but on the upside I only have maybe 4 Fire Warriors painted in total in my current white scheme, so it's not like I'm losing a lot of progress - and it's even something I can simply work into the existing models easily, I assume.

So I think I'm going to take a stab at that tonight. It's basically going to be a grid of grey hashes over black or dark grey, I think, with a gloss varnish on top... I think the hardest part will be making the grid look consistent. ANyone tried this before and have any ideas?

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 pm

Definitely not, but that sounds freaking amazing.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm

I think before I try this on an actual model, I'm just going to test it on one of the infinite number of spare Space Marine shoulderpads I have.

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”