Mike's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Mike's #thedailypaint

Post by Lady_Soria » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 am

I like the Tharopod looking dino one meself.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Unrelated to my recent binge of Eyebot-designing, I just ordered this badboy:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/ ... S+G444-SET

Need to thank Dez and Blue for their suggestions and advice on picking a better airbrush. Note to anyone else... don't even *think* about getting an Aztek. Yea, the interchangable nozzles *sound* like a good idea... but that's where the good idea stops.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm thinking messy?
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:25 pm

The Aztek nozzles clog, a LOT, even with careful and constant cleaning. And it seems once they've clogged once, they never quite work the same - paint sprays out at an angle, or heavier on one side than the other, things like that.

I'm hoping the Airbrush arrives soon (it's shipping to my US mailbox across the border, which should save a few days and skip customs), I'd like to use it for my Deathmatch headline mini ;)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Decided to fiddle with digital painting, which I haven't done in a loooooong time. I'm definitely better at normal painting, but this didn't come out *too* bad... the rough sketch was again based on random shapes dropped by Alchemy.

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Kinda looks like a killer teddy bear.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:00 pm

This was the random shape collage that Alchemy spit out it was based on :)

Ryan
Gold Vault Member

Post by Ryan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Neato!!! Ever think about seeing if Matt wants them for DP? They kinda fit the salvagers from what I've seen :mrgreen:
-Ryan Guzowski
9000 points points of Imperial Smurf Marines!!!!
Yay a full company!
4000pts of Empire

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 pm

The Eyebots really don't fit the Salvagers... and they're alraedy earmarked for another project anyway ;)

And Soria... THIS is what an Angry Bearbot looks like!

No Photoshopping that one, created entirely in Alchemy :)

Lady_Soria

Post by Lady_Soria » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 pm

Oh he'll scare nightmares away... and the kid he's suppose to be snuggling.

Ryan
Gold Vault Member

Post by Ryan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Just thought I'd give it a shot, the eyebots are too nice not to lol :mrgreen:

Now an angry bear eyebot would be the best thing ever!!! I'd definatly get one :)

As for this project, will eyebots be a, or part of game?
-Ryan Guzowski
9000 points points of Imperial Smurf Marines!!!!
Yay a full company!
4000pts of Empire

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 pm

I really don't want to say more on the topic and jinx things right now Ryan ;) Plus I don't want to look even remotely like I'm trying to steal DP's thunder or ride on it's coat tails. Long story short though, I've got my own projects on the go :)

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:07 am

Happy to help Mike... Hope it works out for you.

Nice mockups dude. I'm eager for some more eyebots. I personally don't like the eyebots with torsos. Just doesn't fit in my idea of an eyebot. Some of the designs remind me of a mix between pokemon and bakugan
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 am

Some of the torso'd ones I love, but I definitely don't want to make it a focus. I'm having trouble visualizing how to attach powerful limbs or heavy weapons directly to a floating eye in a lot of cases - which is why I began this whole randomized-mockup exercise.

The core thinking behind the Eyebots is that the Eye itself is the important aspect, housing the central CPU, AI, and most of the important sensors (most notably, the eye). Something like the assorted spheres in Portal, though I'll admit that the parallel between them wasn't a conscious decision.

From there, the Eye can basically be removed from one apparatus and attached to another. "Eyebot Classic" is a simple chassis capable of hovering, and with small, dexterous limbs - not directly suitable for combat, though there's nothing stopping it from picking up a Shotgun or a spear ;)

My thinking is that only a select few Eyebot chassis' would be designed with intentional military applications, so the majority of them wouldn't be armed - but might be designed for construction/demolition, heavy lifting, scouting dangerous environments, etc. Some of those applications would probably need a larger body of sorts to house the larger motors, power supplies, stronger framework, etc, needed for those tasks... which is why I'm not expressly ruling out the use of Torsos.

For the most part, I want each Eyebot model to be relatively unique. I'd prefer not to just end up with "Eyebot with Shotgun" and "Eyebot with Plasma Rifle" but have the same basic model underneath. Not that some basic variants like that would hurt, but I want to expand the scope of the Eyebot range before I start making the more basic variants.

My biggest challenge with that thinking, is that the original Eyebot's eye was about 25mm wide... about as large as I could make it and still call it a 30mm scale model. Keeping that scale would make most of what I've mocked up abnout Dreadnought-scaled... and while a few of those would be fine, I don't want *every* model that large. So my thinking right now is that I either need to make the Eye a bit smaller.... or just created more variants where the Eye is still the primary focus like Eyebot Classic and Eyeboctopus.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:59 am

Apparently my morning sketches wanted to agree with Blue ... and have wings

Image Image

Definitely got me back into the "Eye with stuff attached" method of thinking for these... Apparently the first one wants to emulate Gundam Wing Zero.

Went back to one of the previous designs I really liked that did have a Torso... and gave it way less Torso ;)

Looking at it now, it feels less like a Torso, and more like a protective/supportive chassis for the eye. Blue, your feedback would be valuable! It's not really evident in this sketch, but I see the eye as being embedded within the "chest", not sticking out from it on a neck of any sort.

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”