Mike's #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Mike's #thedailypaint

Postby Ashran » Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Seeing these makes me think of Portal 2 and the blue robot in the coop campaign

Looking cool
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby Blue » Wed May 02, 2012 4:44 am

Try a mesh bag Mike. Sometimes fruit or garlic comes in them, they are kind of stretchy and have the grid laid out for you. Stretch it over a mini and airbrush over top.

I was going to use this to get a sort of fish/snake scale pattern to some minis. In the end I needed a smaller bag with smaller grids.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 am

I might try that for larger things like battlesuits, but I'm thinking I want to do some very small CF inlays on my Fire Warriors, just exposed panels of it here and there.

So I was doing some searching for reference images, and thought I'd post my results/thinking.

This is straight Carbon Fibre sheeting... it's basically composed of a black square, a light grey rectangle, and a lighter grey square.

Applied to a motorcycle helmet and glossed, you really don't notice the three tones though... I think black and a mid grey might be sufficient.

Turns out that first carbon fibre is a "twill" pattern, which gives the appearance of diagonal lines from a distance... probably the most recognizable form. BUT...

Carbon Fibre is also available in 'Standard' weave, which produces a checkerboard pattern. No doubt easier to paint... but also likely less recognizable.

This is a Carbon Fibre Radiator cover from a Ducati... while it looks like it's using Standard weave, it also seems to have that diagonal pattern when the light hits it just right.

This isn't real carbon fibre, just a look-alike skin for a Logitech mouse... but I think working at a smaller scale and not having the visual depth of carbon fibre, trying to match this might be my best bet. A series of rectangles, evenly spaced, with small gaps between them. I'm thinking that adding a little bit of metallic to whatever colour I use would help create that look of physical depth that carbon fibre has, then finishing it off with Gloss Varnish.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria

Postby Lady_Soria » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 am

Woof. Good luck Mike, if anybody can do it you can.

Also how on earth did you look at all those patterns of Carbon Fibre without your eyes bleeding?!
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Wed May 02, 2012 9:48 am

Lady_Soria wrote:Woof. Good luck Mike, if anybody can do it you can.

Also how on earth did you look at all those patterns of Carbon Fibre without your eyes bleeding?!

As a web developer, my eyes have built up a resistance to spontaneous hemophilia ;)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Lady_Soria

Postby Lady_Soria » Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 pm

That is a rather handy talent to have.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Thu May 03, 2012 2:10 pm

I haven't got Gloss Varnish on this yet because, apparently I don't actually own any. Anyway, this was a first test of painting Carbon Fibre. Photo is pretty crappy unfortunately, I think it looks much better in person.

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Oceangrave0 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:35 pm

it looks really cool man! I approve!!!
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

Lady_Soria

Postby Lady_Soria » Thu May 03, 2012 2:36 pm

Extremely realistic. But I wouldn't expect anything less from the Master of Paint.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Thu May 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Well that's that then! Next I need to try applying it to parts of my mostly-white Fire Warriors... Honestly think they'll be easier, flat panels vs curved will make this simple.

I'm also thinking it should be done at about a 30 or 45 degree angle to the horizontal, so your eye isn't quite as drawn to tiny imperfections in the grid spacing.

Rex the ork
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Postby Rex the ork » Thu May 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Mike, no Epic Hobby? (Goes in corner and cries)

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 pm

You cry in a corner? I've had 20 whole minutes of time to paint in the past week. It's 9:40PM and I'm just now done work/dog-walking/dinner/errands and sitting down to relax for the first time all day. I have about an hour before I need to hit the sack, and repeat (though today was an unusually long workday, big event took place and it was most-hands-on-deck).

I spent last night drawing up plans and putting together a materials list for my basement renovations, which are *specifically* designed to give me somewhere to film and edit painting videos - so please don't assume I'm just ignoring what people want. Fact is, it's quite difficult making a decent video in the tiny spare bedroom I'm using as my painting room right now, especially with my dog in there with me... my new painting room will have ceiling-mounted, dog-proof cameras filming me :D

Right now, I really need like... 30 hours days, so that I can produce painting videos and sculpt/design new models at a rate I'd actually be happy with.

So please... please just bear with me. There *will* be new Epic Hobby videos when I have time, and when I actually manage to film something I'm happy with in my temporary situation. Honestly, I've filmed quite a bit, but the majority of it has ended up looking like utter crap and you wouldn't get much from watching it... cameras out of focus, over/under-exposed, my head/shoulder/hand in the way of the shot, poorly situated lighting, etc... nothing I've filmed in about the last 3 months would have resulted in a video worth watching, which is honestly REALLY getting to me. I feel like I owe you guys, and I'm just not pulling off anything I'm remotely happy with.

I feel like I'm losing my touch... I used to knock out a Quick and Dirty every week or two!

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!

Postby Epic Duck Mike » Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 am

I need the Painting Bug to bite me again.... in a bit of a paintless funk lately. Anyone have any suggestions here?

azzerath
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Postby azzerath » Thu May 10, 2012 10:32 am

Epic Duck Mike wrote:I need the Painting Bug to bite me again.... in a bit of a paintless funk lately. Anyone have any suggestions here?

I just grabbed a few mini's from hasslefree.

Painting them will require learning a new technique for me. I'm a rookie painter though, so not sure if that would help you or not.

Lady_Soria

Postby Lady_Soria » Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 am

I find reading fluff always help me. If all else fails, do something that remind you of the models you want/need to paint but not actually paint. Like with my Brets, I watched a lot of docs and program on Medieval periods ( and watched Horrble Histories) to get the mojo going for them.

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”