DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Blackwraith wrote:Defiantly agree with Smartah that looking at the termie the paints need to be watered down a little more. Multiple thin coats are far better then one or two thick coats. Priming may also make a difference as it will give a better base for the paint to adhere to and you won't need as much paint just to make it all stick properly.

As to thinning regarding oceans suggestions. I know a lot of people swear by windex and some rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol can cause a LOT of issues with some types of acrylic paint chemistry. I have no experience with thinking warpaints though so can't say for certain how it would effect them. (One little cravat here. If you are using tamiya paints or vallejo liquid metal paints alcohol is the way to thin them as they are alcohol based paints.) Vallejo though is can turn them into sludge. The active ingredient that allows windex to be used as a thinner is ammonia. Which is actually a solvent for most acrylics. I don't personally like to use the same item I use to clean up my paints to thin them. As I said a ton of people use it though so that is more personal preference. It will speed up your drying time on your paints though.

I use plain spring/distilled water for watering down paints I'm going to brush on. If I'm making a wash out of paints or thinning them for airbrush use I tend to use a mixture of acrylic matte medium and flow-aid medium.

Not sure my painting is good enough to be giving advice yet. :) But Meh.. :)

idc i think anyones opinions are allowed despite how "good" they are. However if you would like to share send some pictures!

DaOrkyBitz
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Painted a little scout :3 just for fun of course. No highlights or shading, a friend just let me borrow it to paint. He isn't that good at it do to the fact his hands shake.

and i redid the Dark angel, AGAIN. I know you are getting sick of this model but i did something i liked for once! I covered over my cruddy highlighting with a thinned down color of purple. Essentially the original color of the cape. This caused it to fade a bit and look FAR more natural! i did it on the front with the blue as well. What do you think amigos?

Blackwraith
Silver Vault Member

Postby Blackwraith » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Shading looks a lot smoother with the layers. Generally just looks better.

My thread with pics is about four under yours at the time I wrote this . Not to go rust up a plane .;)
Orks - 250+ models completed
Tyranids - 100+ model completed

Fantasy
High Elves - 15 model completed
Skaven - 1 models completed

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Just got the Sanguinor and 5 sanguinary guard! I will post pictures as soon as i get them and assemble them :3 then I'll paint em for ya's <3 as well as a reaper mini i bought on impulse.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Just painted a C'tan for a friend! In my opinion looking good. Not all that much to paint on him really..dry brushed his cloak. Not sure if it was the right move but it has an old and torn look.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:22 am

Just got my Sanguinary guard. post them as soon as they are painted.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 am

I re-painted the Sanguinor. I'll be putting up another pic when i get home.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:39 pm

decided i wanted him to have a bit more dark with the gold. The white and the gold was a tad overwhelming.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Painted up an old Daemon Prince I never used. Tried to play it as a Khorne and Tzeentch struggle for dominance within his body.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 am

Blood angels forces are up and running :D got 5 snipers, and 10 assault marines. Finished the snipers here are the three best ones, sorry again for the bad quality.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 am

I did the highlights in a light pink. Salmon color basically. Does anyone have any recommendations for a different highlight color? Someone else recommended orange.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:52 am

My first assault marines :3 i started them and i kind of drenched them in wash. Wasn't too happy about how they turned out TOO dark. The next 5 will be brighter and i will tone down the wash.

Lady_Soria
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Postby Lady_Soria » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 am

They look pretty good. the wash kinda makes them look dirty, like they are in the midst of a tough fight.
Everybody wrestles with an inner beast. Mine just has fangs and claws. - Raven Skylander.

Wanna reading my writings? http://lady-soria24.livejournal.com/ ( WARNING some swearing in some stories.)

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Lady_Soria wrote:They look pretty good. the wash kinda makes them look dirty, like they are in the midst of a tough fight.

yeah i did something dumb though. I coated them in the wash THEN highlighted, so the highlights are way brighter than they need to be against the dark background. I considered re-painting them. But as i am going to be fielding a sea of assault marines, i don't mind it.

DaOrkyBitz

Postby DaOrkyBitz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Cell phone cameras suck Dx sorry. BLOOD ANGELS COMIN IN

alot of them are converted from the dark vengeance set. The termies. The librarian, and the legs of that sanguinary priest

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”