DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
User avatar
DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 pm
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Image

Image


Tear me apart Miniwargaming :3 i need it. Plz.

User avatar
Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: In your closet, folding your fitted sheets

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by Smartah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:55 pm

You can always make your own washes by super thinning the paint you already have. The army painter dips/washes are not my favorite at all, in fact I really hate them.But I love their paints. This hobby is incredibly expensive in terms of time and money so I understand what you're saying. That being said, some products are worth it. Believe me, if I didn't use it or like it, I'd never tell you to go buy anything, especially GW. My best tips for a gamer on a budget are these:

1. Take your time. You don't want to rush through models to get them done, because once they are done, you have to buy more minis, and your paint jobs will not be as good as they could be
2. Thin your paints. Not only will it make you slow down and follow tip #1, your minis will not lose any detail, and you won't use as much paint.
3. Mix your paints for new colors. You can create so many cool, unusual and completely customized colors by doing this. dropper bottles help and you can record the ratios in a notebook if you ever needed to recreate it.
4. Research your next hobby purchase. Buying something cheap might be a huge mistake and could cost you more in the long run.
5. take care of your brushes. make sure there is no paint left to dry in them, if you can, store them brush down (only do this if you have the plastic brush protector on them) so that any water can drain out of them instead of inside of them.
6. Make sure you are happy with your paint job. It doesn't matter what I say or what Joe painter says. YOU have to be happy with your mini. if you're not, try and figure out why you're not happy with it and try to fix it. if it can't be fixed, strip it and start over.
7. Take care of your minis. I see people throwing their minis in tackleboxes with very little regard. You spent the money on this hobby, don't break your stuff, it makes no sense. Fine a way to display them somehow and if you have to go to a game with them, make sure there is some protection for them. I just can't understand people that throw expensive minis that are painted in a box to be jostled around.
8. Be creative. If you don't have something, can't afford something, or can't get something, think outside of the box and figure out a way to make it yourself instead of buying. The wash idea is a good example.
9. Don't settle for less than what you want. You won't be happy

For you, I would say #1 and #2 are your most important. There is no race to get minis done. Have fun with the painting and honestly, with thin paints, anyone can make a mini look good. Most people just want to rush through it and get a solid color on with one coat.
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

User avatar
Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:22 am
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by Oceangrave0 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 pm

To add to smartahs thinning note if say thinning with a drop of alcohol or windex instead of water is better because it doesn't make the paint take longer to thin and it keeps the basic setup of the paint correct so it dries the same and not blochy
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

User avatar
wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by wizardv12222 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Smartah wrote:You can always make your own washes by super thinning the paint you already have. The army painter dips/washes are not my favorite at all, in fact I really hate them.But I love their paints. This hobby is incredibly expensive in terms of time and money so I understand what you're saying. That being said, some products are worth it. Believe me, if I didn't use it or like it, I'd never tell you to go buy anything, especially GW. My best tips for a gamer on a budget are these:

1. Take your time. You don't want to rush through models to get them done, because once they are done, you have to buy more minis, and your paint jobs will not be as good as they could be
2. Thin your paints. Not only will it make you slow down and follow tip #1, your minis will not lose any detail, and you won't use as much paint.
3. Mix your paints for new colors. You can create so many cool, unusual and completely customized colors by doing this. dropper bottles help and you can record the ratios in a notebook if you ever needed to recreate it.
4. Research your next hobby purchase. Buying something cheap might be a huge mistake and could cost you more in the long run.
5. take care of your brushes. make sure there is no paint left to dry in them, if you can, store them brush down (only do this if you have the plastic brush protector on them) so that any water can drain out of them instead of inside of them.
6. Make sure you are happy with your paint job. It doesn't matter what I say or what Joe painter says. YOU have to be happy with your mini. if you're not, try and figure out why you're not happy with it and try to fix it. if it can't be fixed, strip it and start over.
7. Take care of your minis. I see people throwing their minis in tackleboxes with very little regard. You spent the money on this hobby, don't break your stuff, it makes no sense. Fine a way to display them somehow and if you have to go to a game with them, make sure there is some protection for them. I just can't understand people that throw expensive minis that are painted in a box to be jostled around.
8. Be creative. If you don't have something, can't afford something, or can't get something, think outside of the box and figure out a way to make it yourself instead of buying. The wash idea is a good example.
9. Don't settle for less than what you want. You won't be happy

For you, I would say #1 and #2 are your most important. There is no race to get minis done. Have fun with the painting and honestly, with thin paints, anyone can make a mini look good. Most people just want to rush through it and get a solid color on with one coat.
This entire advice should be sticky'd somewhere as a getting started post ;)
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

User avatar
DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 pm
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:46 pm

well i pretty much have a good grasp on most of what you have said ma'am. I just need the experience and know how at this point. So i bought the dark vengeance set as an easy affordable way to practice on a crap ton of models, and the results have been satisfying. Also i noticed if you thin the paints the brush strokes are nearly as noticeable. it covers much more nicely. :3 Also i just recieved a bit of something called a "Matt" which is apparently very good for making your highlights look transparent and not so dominant. Also makes it cleaner, i mean clean as in you don't get any rigid edges in the highlights. But instead a clean cover.

Here if what i recently finished and am satisfied with the result. i did some minor shading and some minor highlighting.

Image

Image

Sorry for the poor lighting and camera.

User avatar
Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:22 am
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by Oceangrave0 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 pm

I do like the terminator more than the commander, feel the paint is a little thick but a tip to doing the bone colour easily is to prime grey/white instead of black if u are priming black, itll take less layers if u start bright
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

User avatar
DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 pm
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Oceangrave0 wrote:I do like the terminator more than the commander, feel the paint is a little thick but a tip to doing the bone colour easily is to prime grey/white instead of black if u are priming black, itll take less layers if u start bright
i cant afford primer at the moment. I paint em GRAY. Didn't used to, used to prime black. THOSE WERE THE DAYS I TELLS YE!

User avatar
Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Posts: 3390
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:22 am
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by Oceangrave0 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:06 pm

I prime everything grey now unless its allll metal then black, cuz to paint anything bright after black was like killing yourself
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria

User avatar
DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 pm
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Oceangrave0 wrote:I prime everything grey now unless its allll metal then black, cuz to paint anything bright after black was like killing yourself
so should i bother priming it?

User avatar
Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: In your closet, folding your fitted sheets

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by Smartah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Looking at your minis, you are not thinning your paint down enough. It still looks thick and chunky. Priming is a very important step in painting a mini, it helps the paint to stick so it doesn't rub chip or flake off as easily.
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

User avatar
DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 pm
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Smartah wrote:Looking at your minis, you are not thinning your paint down enough. It still looks thick and chunky. Priming is a very important step in painting a mini, it helps the paint to stick so it doesn't rub chip or flake off as easily.
I will purchase some primer next time i can. Ill just buy black and white to make things simple. Also i only recently learned that i should be thinning down my paints. I shall begin doing that with all of my miniatures. However i hate painting cultists, and i have no other miniatures besides 5 cultists i need to finish. For the most part i am just practicing highlighting on them.

User avatar
Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: In your closet, folding your fitted sheets

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by Smartah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:50 pm

I didn't put any highlights on the cutlists I had to paint. It was a TTQ commish for a demo table, so they are going to be used and abused, so the gordon didn't want anything special. So basically all I did was do a basecoat and a wash (or two) and done. it looked good for TTQ and they looked great together.
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

User avatar
DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 pm
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Smartah wrote:I didn't put any highlights on the cutlists I had to paint. It was a TTQ commish for a demo table, so they are going to be used and abused, so the gordon didn't want anything special. So basically all I did was do a basecoat and a wash (or two) and done. it looked good for TTQ and they looked great together.
Yeah. I am thinking of just coating them in a dark wash and washing my hands of it. Buh dum tch.

But yeah. I am just practicing with my paints. I spent /alot/ more time highlighting the Terminators. not quite sure if i can highlight the tactical marines well. Your supposed to do light green highlights around all of he edges of the armor. But when i do it it looks so strong i cant stand it.

User avatar
Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Posts: 1741
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 pm
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Location: In your closet, folding your fitted sheets

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by Smartah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Yeah all I did was do a color wash with matching colors and then a mud wash all over. So blue wash on blue etc.
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

Post Reply

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest