DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

The goal of #thedailypaint is simple - to develop our skills and paint our armies by making an effort to paint something every day. Anyone is welcome to fire up a thread and join in!
DaOrkyBitz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Hey guys. I've been into war gaming for about two years. I've only recently become a more adept painter and i would love to get tips and learn more through showing what i have, and you guys pointing out where i need improvement ;] a weakness of mine being highlighting. Just sayin. I shall begin posting soon, i only have about 6 cultists to get done. But after that i shall be starting some fantasy models! Perhaps Lizardmen.

Smartah
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: DaOrkyBitz #thedailypaint

Post by Smartah » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:56 pm

I like the colors you picked. Are you planning on highlighting the wing on the shoulderpad?
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!
Check out Smartah Studios on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter! @Smartah

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
[X---------] Painted (10%)
Eldar
[X----------] Painted (4%)

DaOrkyBitz
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Smartah wrote:I like the colors you picked. Are you planning on highlighting the wing on the shoulderpad?
I'm not sure how i would highlight it, and thank you. I've had many people critic this one and you are the only one to say something positive about the colors, and be aware i have redone this one quite a bit. Updated it really. I'm not sure how to update it.

Smartah
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Smartah » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:10 pm

I would say add some grey and extreme highlight with white for the wings. If you're interested in some help in terms of painting, I would say thin your paints a bit more and be a bit less wash heavy. :)
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Smartah wrote:I would say add some grey and extreme highlight with white for the wings. If you're interested in some help in terms of painting, I would say thin your paints a bit more and be a bit less wash heavy. :)
Yeah i cleaned up almost all the areas i put wash on, someone else told me that same thing, and i would highlight with gray on the white wings? Wouldn't it be easier to just put a black wash on it?

Shadow SpectreW
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Shadow SpectreW » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 pm

The wash woud darken the white so if you put on a wash you would need to paint over it again
Eldar
Win:7
Draw:1
Loss:1
"Pain is temporary... Honor is forever"

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:22 am

Shadow SpectreW wrote:The wash woud darken the white so if you put on a wash you would need to paint over it again
so don't wash it?

what i am thinking is wash it then just use white and highlight the tips of each feather.

Shadow SpectreW
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Shadow SpectreW » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:01 am

That would work
Eldar
Win:7
Draw:1
Loss:1
"Pain is temporary... Honor is forever"

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 am

I'm having some trouble. Basically the edges are not defined enough for the wash to seep into the individual feather lengths. So the shade just covers over it, making it a grayish color. Therefore i cannot highlight it with my current skill level. :( especially since the lines are kind of just blending together.

Smartah

Post by Smartah » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 am

I was talking about the black shoulder pad wing :P
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Smartah wrote:I was talking about the black shoulder pad wing :P
I figured that out after i tried it. I used gray and just made thin streaks just above the feathers.

Smartah

Post by Smartah » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm

If you wanted to wash the big helmet wings, I would wash with the sepia tone. I can't see them that well, to see if they really need it though
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Smartah wrote:If you wanted to wash the big helmet wings, I would wash with the sepia tone. I can't see them that well, to see if they really need it though
Not sure i have such a wash. I have Soft, Strong and Dark. The Mega War painter set.

Smartah

Post by Smartah » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Ahh, get thee to a place that sells GW washes. Get the mud wash, the sepia, the ogryn flesh wash and the black wash. Those 4 will help you out. I use all of them frequently
ZOMG IMMA GIRL!

My Armies:
Ogre Kingdoms
Eldar

DaOrkyBitz

Post by DaOrkyBitz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Smartah wrote:Ahh, get thee to a place that sells GW washes. Get the mud wash, the sepia, the ogryn flesh wash and the black wash. Those 4 will help you out. I use all of them frequently
The only place i have that sells such washes are an hour and a half away. I would prefer tips that didn't consist of "buy this" or "Buy that" sorry for you being the one to hear this, but its a tad frustrating. I've asked for help from several places and what i am mostly getting is "Buy more" even though i just spent 100 dollars on a massive set...I suppose tis the price to pay. Any other suggestions?

Return to “#thedailypaint 2012”