Rules of Forum Mafia!

This area is for fun non-wargaming forum games (such as Forum Mafia).
IGfanatic
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Rules of Forum Mafia!

Post by IGfanatic » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Welcome all to the game of ages! Forum Mafia!

BASIC GAMEPLAY
-------------------------------------
A game is divided into continuously alternating parts: Day, and Night. The players in a most games are divided into two groups, a large Town and a small Mafia.

Town, the majority of the players, usually a rough 75%. These do not know each other, and may only communicate inside the thread.
Mafia A minority of the players, usually a rough 25%. These do know each other and are allowed to communicate outside the game.

Night During the Night, the Mafia makes one kill. There is no talk in the thread. After having made their decision, the Mafia PM's the Moderator with the name of the person they want dead.
Day After the Night action is complete, the Moderator announces the results of the night: One Townie has died. The entire group now goes on to decide on whom to lynch.

Lynch During the Day, every player may vote someone they want to lynch. In order to make an official vote simply write the players name you want to vote for (in red text please). A vote can be taken back by writing the players name you want to unvote (in blue text please) and you must unvote before you re-vote. Once a majority has been reached, this player is lynched and killed. Since the Town is in the majority, the Mafia will of course be pretending to be Town, just as anyone else.

Winning The winning group is the one that stays alive the longest. The Town's way of killing is through the Lynch during the Day. They must be careful not to be influenced by the Mafia in their voting process. The Mafia's way of killing is through the Nightkill, and through misleading the Town into lynching one of their own.

At this point you might be wondering how the Town will ever achieve a win. After all, unlike the Mafia, they do not know each other and have nothing at all to go on.

In this most basic set-up, the best strategy the Town can follow is to try and find links between persons in the voting discussion. Examples:
- When Player 1 is lynched and it is revealed that he was Mafia, the Town can grow very suspicious of Player 2 who kept on defending Player 1 in the discussion.
- When there are no leads whatsoever, yet a few people are quick to vote for someone and end up lynching a Townie, the Town can become very suspicious of people quick-to-vote.

Apart from this, the Town has little other hope than a Mafia making a mistake. For example someone posting "As I told you through PM...", but such mistakes are very rare.

At the moment, the game does not look very colorful. There are basically two ways to enhance the game, and both are very common. One way is to give players roles with special powers, another way is to have a theme.

ROLES
--------------
Mafia is mainly about two things: (1) Information, and (2) Eliminating Players. Almost all possible roles have to do with one or both of these, by giving a player special abilities. I will post a long list of common roles below, but a few basic examples will be needed here to illustrate the point:

Cop A Cop is almost always a Pro-Town role. A player who is a Cop has the ability to investigate one person at night. He will usually receive either "Guilty" or "Innocent" as result from the Moderator. Guilty usually means a person is Mafia, Innocent usually means the investigated player is Town.

This role of course greatly adds to the game. As you know, the Town must discuss who to lynch during the day. Imagine they picked Player 1 and are voting for that person. Player 2 however has been given the role "Cop", and happens to have investigated Player 1 on a Night. He received the result "Innocent". Because of this, he does not want the Town to lynch Player 1, so he defends that person. However, defending someone too openly may cause the rest of the players to wonder if Player 1 and Player 2 might be in a Mafia together.

After receiving a Guilty result, a Cop will try to help a Town focus the discussion more towards that person, and even try to get that person lynched. Appearing "lynch-eager", may cause the Town to go after the Cop himself though.

Now perhaps you are wondering why the Cop doesn't simply say that he is a Cop, and that he has investigated someone. There are multiple reasons for this. Here are a few:
- If he says he is a Cop, the Mafia will want to kill him as soon as possible. If there are no Docs, who can protect people at night, the Cop is likely to be dead the next day.
- Even if someone claims to be a Cop, the Town should not immediately believe him. After all, it is possible that someone from the Mafia claims Cop, and even sacrifices one of his mates.

Doc Our second example, the Doc, can protect one person at night. The Mafia will not be able to kill the person he protects.

Here is one example of how this role adds to the game. What if there is a Cop, and he has already said that he is a Cop. The Doc of course wants to protect the Cop, because it is a powerful role on his side. The Mafia knows that the Doc wants to keep the Cop alive. The Mafia will therefore probably decide not to hit the cop, because that will waste them a night. However, the Doc knows that the Mafia is not very likely to attack the Cop, because they expect the Doc to protect him. Therefore, the Doc may want to protect someone else. This goes on infinitely.

Vengeful Townie: The vengeful townie acts like a regular townie until he gets lynched! When he gets lynched he kills one person of his/her choice! If killed by the mafia one is chosen at random!

RULES:

1. Confirm your reception of the role PM with a PM back to me.

2. Do not post partial or complete copies of any PM I send or create false quotes with me as the author.

3. Submit your actions by the deadline. If you have an optional power send me a PM each game night as to whether you want to use it or not.

4. Do not edit the content of your posts, even for typos.

5. Do not talk about the game outside the thread, unless your role specifically allows it. Cheating in this regard is not being clever, it's spoiling the game. Do not reveal any information to each other in person and try not to favour your friends in any way, especially as the story teller.

6. Do not post anything substantive after you die unless your role specifically allows it. Substantive means anything that could potentially influence any player's opinion about any element of the game.

7. Do not ask the story teller to confirm your role in the game. This game is about deception and deducing rolls. Your roll will only be confirmed when you die.

8. Have fun! It is a game, please be mature.

9: If you vote for someone who is dead, not in the game or is hosting, you WILL be insta-killed, counting as the day's lynch!

10: You MUST post every 48 hours (except at night) or you will be insta-killed counting as the days lynch! If the mafia, cop or doc do not give me their action within 48 hours or ask for more time, they forfeit their turn.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

IGfanatic

Re: Rules of Forum Mafia!

Post by IGfanatic » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:21 pm

bump

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:43 am

New Rule Idea: You may reveal your role and the story tellers is not aloud to confirm it.

(Such as if you claim to be the doctor you cannot confirm it)

I say this just because when theninjanid said that ashran was the mafia, im pretty sure that ashran was confirmed that he was the mafia...
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:50 am

IGfanatic wrote: 7. Do not ask the story teller to confirm your role in the game. This game is about deception and deducing rolls. Your roll will only be confirmed when you die.
Rule 7 bud ;)

Tmb

Post by Tmb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:01 am

FFFFFFUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:05 am

Fun house?

Tmb

Post by Tmb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:07 am

IGfanatic wrote:Fun house?
Ya sure lets go with that!

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:12 am

Cause im clearly superior with my words...

Tmb

Post by Tmb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:14 am

just for the record my brother is trying to figure out my role outside of forum mafia, which is cheating so he deserves to die.. and hes spoiling the game!

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:16 am

If he is talking about it to other players and giving you his role then he will be insta-killed and the night will end along with the mafia hit.

Commodore Awesome
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Commodore Awesome » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:22 am

Am not!!!!!
im not trying to find out his role
it's all lies!
Skies the limit? You havn't met me then.

"Commodore you are a hero to the world" ~ IGfanatic
"You are now extremely awesome" ~ Tmb
"You, sir, indeed are awesome" ~ teclis

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 am

You'll find out his role soon enough...if he claims to be what he is though...

Tmb

Post by Tmb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:32 am

hes been trying to figure out my role for a very long time im not joking when i say this, he should be banned from the next game, because hes getting really annoying...

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:35 am

Commodore, if you are talking about the game outside the forum you will get insta-killed from this game. You may think about it and PM me but other than that do not talk about Forum Mafia, its like fight club in that sense.

IGfanatic

Post by IGfanatic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:08 pm

bump