GBXXXI: Vote

This month's theme is Undamaged Structures.

Who Built The Best?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:23 am

Layfrog1234's Weapon Storage Unit
6%
DavicusPrime's Heavy Gear Blitz Industrial Terrain
19%
Wilhelmkingspeak's Cottage
3%
bugbait_nz's 40K Processing Plant
71%

Total votes: 31

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

GBXXXI: Vote

Post by Blue » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:23 am

Here it is guys. Remember the theme was Like New. This theme seemed to open it up to more game genres which was a nice change of pace. Some great builds with detailed WIP threads. Make sure to check them out for some extra inspiration.

I'm sure these builders would appreciate any feedback. Please feel free to leave some critiques below.

Hope you all enjoyed your holidays.

New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: GBXXXI: Vote

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:27 am

ohoh like them all, however the industrial plant is really nice. i know i let my sister vote. :P
edit: just saw like new, which imo means numebrs 1 and 4 aren't proably gonna get it based of theme. i love the effect and they way they look but they dont look new. entry 1 isnt clear due to pictures, and entry 4 looks nice but the metal on it is rusted and worn.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Ferrous-Wrex
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Ferrous-Wrex » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:17 am

Even though the heading for the theme is "like new" if you read the thread it's really "Undamaged structures" so I think all of these qualify and the winner will be pretty clear.

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Layfrog1234's Weapon Storage Unit: Looks like a nice solid build... key word "Looks like". Its really hard for me to see the build in the pictures. Looks nice, but I think alot of the detail was lost in the dark pictures.

DavicusPrime's Heavy Gear Blitz Industrial Terrain: Really nice! Great detail. My only (small) hang-up is the colors... I know its Like New, but it seems very cartoon colored. The crane really adds punch, perfect detail.

Wilhelmkingspeak's Cottage: I really like this one. Great colors. I like the towel roof, Ive used towels as carpets, but never thought of a thatched roof. Also love the flowers, I think without the flowers the build would seem unfinished, but those flowers totally finish it off (also, Im going to use that idea... with credit of course!). My biggest hang-up is the stone walk... just seems to stop... also maybe a knob on the door.

bugbait_nz's 40K Processing Plant: Wont/cant say much here... got my vote!
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by xand » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Layfrog1234's Weapon Storage Unit: Better photos would be really useful here, there isn't enough visible to tell much about the detail here, though it doesn't really look finished without a roof.

DavicusPrime's Heavy Gear Blitz Industrial Terrain: The only real hangup I have with this piece is that it looks kinda like it popped out of an anime or something. The colors are crisp and new without any fading or aging on the parts. Which fits the theme. I know how much smaller Battletech minis are compared to Warhammer, and I think the glass in particular was fantastically done. I think the ground outside could have used a bit more... contrast with the "newness" of the building, but since the building is so crisp and clean, it doesn't detract too much for me as far as value goes. This one got my vote.

Wilhelmkingspeak's Cottage: I almost voted for this one, it was a pretty close call. It looks like it could be a new and undamaged cottage, and the look of the thatch combined with the flowers makes the detail pop. Unfortunantly I just couldn't get over the path suddenly ending and not looking like it had quite as much texture as it should, and some of the wood colored paint looks like it's spilling over the plaster in places. Still, this is really good.

bugbait_nz's 40K Processing Plant: I wanted to vote for this one since I saw the platforms being built for it. There's so much detail in them and all the little extra valves and bits and things that it's amazing. The downside for me is that the main building structure just looks too plain while all the goodies look aged. I think if the whole structure was more equally aged it would look better, but then it wouldn't look "new" :(

All in all, there are some great pieces here, and I can't wait to join in for January's build!
Nature Chaos: 1039 pts

Check out my WIP here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 26&t=69158

And my youtube channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cauldroncra ... e=g-subs-u

Wulfrun
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Wulfrun » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 am

Layfrog1234's Weapon Storage Unit: looks like a nice build but I have to agree that better photos are a must. From what I can see of it, it seems to look like its unfinished a little but that could just be from the photos.

DavicusPrime's Heavy Gear Blitz Industrial Terrain: This is a really cool piece of terrain, it's colours are out there and it's very well presented with very good detail. I think to call it anime style Puts it perfectly, and if I could vote twice I would've gone for this one too!

Wilhelmkingspeak's Cottage: this one is another piece of awesome but it just didn't quite yell out with enough character. Everything was right that you did I think it just needed something a little more. Don't know what, just think it does. But once again some really good detail shown.

bugbait_nz's 40K Processing Plant: all the goodies look aged. This is just a masterpiece I love it to bits. If GW sold this as terrain I would be all over it. The detail shown and the ingenuity is incredible for its scale. And I may be slightly biased with my love of industrial architecture but yeah...you got my vote.

Definitely inspired me to join in for the next round :D
"...You my friend are an unnapropriate." - Commodore Awesome
"this is why I love you Wulfrun <3" -Sniperfex

DavicusPrime
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:41 am

While i voted for me, 8) I should have voted for Bugbait. The sheer scale and and level of detail of his project is insane. Plus his painting and weathering is excellent, and that is the one aspect of mine that I know I could have done better on.

As for the Anime stylings, yes that was kinda the idea. But I was also looking at how local businesses are in my corner of the world (Seattle,WA and the surrounding suburbs). This isn't for a gothic distopian world like 40K. The Heavy Gear Blitz world can range from a gritty badlands homestead to a glitzy urban setting. So there's more variety possible and less skulls and gargoyles. :wink:

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:29 pm

It was a good choice changing to card, I dont think the polystyrene foam was coming out that great (although you could have given it a coat of plaster to smooth it out) if you want to sell the idea that this is a weapon storage shed you need to have supporting items like a gun rack, work bench and many some ammo boxes/crates IMHO, Google armoury to get some ideas.

Awesome construction, the gantry is fantastic, its the detail on the roof that adds so much to the overall look!!

The roof on this is the best part, the bowed roofline looks so much better than if it was a straight line.
Cleaning up the brown paint on the white areas would be worth the effort.

My one, I ran out of time, it does need a dirt wash over the grey walls to match the weathering on the walkways, I do enjoy building more than painting, (and then genso6 goes and proposes a multi level build for the next comp and I have already planned out some for that)

Return to “Group Build XXXI (31)”