Group Build XXXI(31)- DavicusPrimes HGB Industrial COMPLETE

This month's theme is Undamaged Structures.
Ferrous-Wrex
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Group Build XXXI(31)- DavicusPrimes HGB Industrial Terrain

Post by Ferrous-Wrex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm not familiar with Heavy Gear. What scale is this project at? Looks pretty tiny if I'm looking at your ruler.
I like your overall concept. I hope you continue to add more detail to the buildng itself by building up layers of cardstock, especially at the cornices, and add some tiny rivets to your structure. No offense, but I can tell you're not a structural engineer. :)
One tip you might try for glass is back-painting a piece of clear plastic - either black or silver.

DavicusPrime
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Ferrous-Wrex wrote:I'm not familiar with Heavy Gear. What scale is this project at? Looks pretty tiny if I'm looking at your ruler.
It's 1/144th which puts an average human at 12-13mm. Based on some cardstock buildings the Dream Pod folks have on their site, normal doors are 15mm tall x 7-9mm
wide.

Everything else, I'm fudging.
I like your overall concept. I hope you continue to add more detail to the buildng itself by building up layers of cardstock, especially at the cornices, and add some tiny rivets to your structure. No offense, but I can tell you're not a structural engineer. :)
One tip you might try for glass is back-painting a piece of clear plastic - either black or silver.
No offense taken. 8) I'm going for feel over realism. The game is heavily influenced by animie where style often beats physics. :wink:

I haven't glued the building down yet so I can get at everything pretty easily. I plan on adding more detail, including some HVAC bits on the walls or roof as well as some exterior lighting and signage. The crane is really only half of the project.

I probably won't worry much about making the windows be all that realistic. However, painting the windows with a clear gloss varnish has crossed my mind.

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:48 pm

Heavy Gear? Did I hear someone mention Heavy Gear?? like.... Marcus Heavy Gear?? :shock:
GGIIMIMMMMMEEEEE!!!! :x

still my favourite show/comic.....

-BB
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:11 pm

High level of detail (10+h of work) on a 1/144 building... This is going to be magnificent!
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:00 am

Alrighty... I've completed the crane section of this thing. Have a look see before I hit it with some paint.

I need to do some more detailing for the building. Then I'll be on the home stretch.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:02 am

wow. love the crane. and hope paint is included in finishing details? XD

-BB
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Ferrous-Wrex
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Ferrous-Wrex » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:17 pm

Looking good! Does the crane move along the track?

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Ferrous-Wrex wrote:Looking good! Does the crane move along the track?
Kinda... When I'm done painting it, it's getting glued in. The track is tight toward the front and loosens up toward the door so it doesn't slide hardly at all toward the front and nearly falls out toward the door. I'm kinda annoyed by the lack of precision, but it'll have to do.

The more I paint it up the tighter it gets too.

In the end, this is for looks, not function.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

DracoAvian
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:04 am

DavicusPrime wrote:In the end, this is for looks, not function.
In the end, the prettier your terrain is the more you will use it. :P So logically your piece will be more functional painted and unprecise :D It really looks great though. I don't do many games post industrial age and I absolutely love it so far!
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 am

So I've had a little time to work on this project since the turkey gave it's life for my eating pleasure. I got some paint on the base and the crane/frame thingie. I also started adding some of the finishing touches to the building itself. I have some more detail work to do yet and then it'll be all about the painting so it'll be ready for my Dec 4th Game.

So without further ado... The shop's signage:
The Climate Control whachamawhosit:
The semi-painted crane:
Another angle on the shop front:
And, finally, adjacent to my first 1/144th scale project=Jack's:

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

Sethside
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Sethside » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Wow! I need to get me some of that "H" beam that looks sharp dude!
A BAD IDEA, is usually a good one

Layfrog1234
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Layfrog1234 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:22 am

Lookin awesome can't wait to see the painted product. Are you gonna add stationary stuff that the crane would pick up? If u do this could be used for cover during a game.
Waaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!
Orks-1000 (approx)

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Layfrog1234 wrote:...Are you gonna add stationary stuff that the crane would pick up? If u do this could be used for cover during a game.
I had been planning to do so, but for now I need to focus on finishing the building. When I figure out how to mass produce oil drums and crates in this scale, I'll probably add them to everything. For now I'm running too short on time to focus on that little project.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

DracoAvian
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Barrels and crates are pretty easy to mass produce. Round and square dowels cut into the appropriate lengths look pretty good when painted up nicely. If you want, some thin cardboard strips around the middle top and bottom make for some convincing 55 gallon drums.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

DavicusPrime

Post by DavicusPrime » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:28 pm

For a scale oil drum, it's ~7mm x 4mm. I have some plastic rod the right size, but adding detail to anything that size is a pain. I'd have to use paper rather than card. I've also considered greenstuff, but doing more than a couple that way would be too tedious.

What I really want to do is make a few then learn how to make molds so I can mass produce them. I'm just not set up for that right now and the cash I have is earmarked for mini's at the moment. So scrounging up the mold making and casting material is not a near term thing.

As for the Building, I finished the last detail bits tonight and will spend the rest of the week painting and plotting out my next project: a Refinery.

-DavicusPrime
My PhotoBucket Page

Return to “Group Build XXXI (31)”