Group Build XXX1 (31) 40k Processing plant - complete

This month's theme is Undamaged Structures.
camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: Group Build XXX1 (31) 40k Processing plant

Post by camsmclean » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Ok, craft scissors and super sharp blade. Your lines seem so clean. Like the window, you cannot see at all where you started/stoped cutting... mine tend to have "overcut" lines or look rough. Ill be practing with a blade and craft scissors. I already have quiet the scrape pile from my other builds.

Also that CPU fan is totally perfect. I take it thats how the fan will be painted?

Really great build man, really inspiring.
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:58 pm

@ lonewolf, glad you like it!
Every bit of terrain I make I learn something new so each peice gets better. Start small so any disasters can be trashed or restarted, I would sugest a couple of simple walls and then a bunker (if you stuff up the bunker you can make it look like it has exploded!)
Plans for the bunker here - BugBunker.zip -> https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=5C08D02D ... 9F29%21166

@ cams, cutting windows takes practice, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt!!
Im thinking that the base building will be painted in greys so the redish fan will add a bit of colour and make it a bit more interesting. I did cut the tips of the fan blades to make it lok more industrial and less computer part!

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:51 am

Making emergency shutoff valves with 400mm x 7.5mm news paper wrapped around a straw to make the valve body, 9mm sewing snap fasterners to make the handle, pinned. Straw has a bamboo skewer inserted with paper wrapped around it for strength.

Ximmons
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Ximmons » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:02 am

This is turning into an enormous undertaking. Cant wait to see it all painted up. Im going to have to make some walls like those. After looking though your projects im also envious of all your wolves.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by bugbait_nz » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:37 pm

It wasnt meant to get this big but the base looked boring so I kept adding stuff until it looked better.

I have cut the base from 3mm MDF wood and used a small triming plane to champer the edges, no wobbly model issues here. Undercoated the shutoff valves, going to add a few scratch built barrels as well.

The towers will both have cone sections and chimneys, unfortuneatly the dog ate the card role I was saving so I had to make my own with two A4 sheets of heavy paper.

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:53 am

This is most impressive dude, quite inspiring.
Awesome use of materials and those shut-offs look great and add a perfect bit of detail.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:49 am

I must say... JimminyJillikers! (Simpsons....)

I totally love the sewing valves! Great idea!
I might use that for my city terrain... I might use all your ideas! With credit of course!
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

DavicusPrime
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:05 pm

This thing is epic in proportion and detail. I'm super impressed by the scale of this and that it's moving along so fast. And the fact that it's part of an already impressive set of industrial/refinery terrain. I am in awe, sir.

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

Retrofit
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Retrofit » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Thats just awesome terrain had a look at your skydrive on msn and the fortress blew me away. Just one question though, i'm a kiwi as well and i was hoping you could tell me were you got ya foamboard from , is been impossible for me to find and i was hoping you would know where i could get it for a decent price.
Stuff happens in places.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by bugbait_nz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:37 am

@Blue, I went to the local haberdashery looking for buttons that could be used for valve handles and thats when I saw the sewing snaps, its the bottom one of the pair that usually looks the best.

@cams, glad to provide inspiration!!

@DavicusPrime, thanks! high praise from such a master terrain buuilder!

@Retro, I get my foamboard from Warehouse Stationery, it seems to be getting more expensive every year, and its hard to find a sheet that has not been beaten up in the shop! looks like there are a few of these in wgtn -. http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/is ... Wellington

Most of the building hase been done and nows its painting time, painted with a GW spray gun and matt black house paint and foundation grey.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by bugbait_nz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:46 pm

When the top coat went on it hilighted the poor joins on these edges so I had to cap them with card to disguise them.

Real life got in the way and had to travel down south for a few days to visit grand parents, this delay means I havent been able to get the time to do all of the details that I need to do.

Needs a dirty wash to sell the industrial look.

Hightower86
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: Group Build XXX1 (31) 40k Processing plant - complete

Post by Hightower86 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:26 am

that piece rocks :P

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by tinker » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 am

Your industrial terrain looks amazing. I hope to have that much high quality stuff someday. I had two questions:
1) How did you make the spherical tank and the curved and domed tank tops?
2) How do you do your rust effects?
-Tink

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by bugbait_nz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:31 am

Thanks Hightower86!

@tinker
The spherical tank is a polystyrene ball from the local craft shop covered in a few layers of PVA and paper and then sanded smooth, the legs are lawn sprinkler tubes with newspaper wrapped around them.

The curved tank tops are the botton of coke cans glued in place with adhesive selastic RTV, its dense enough to hold it while you can move it around to position it, then you just plaster over the gap.

Rusty paint, I use a small coarse hog hair brush and stipple on these colours slowly getting less with each colour so you can see a bit of the base colour.
Black base
Scortched brown
Beastial brown
Tiny bit of blazing Orange
for the worn areas I flat brush ove a bit of boltgun metal

tinker
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by tinker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Great! Thanks for the detailed explination.

Return to “Group Build XXXI (31)”