GB XXX (30) Adeptus Mechanicus Bunkers

This month's theme is Defensive Fortifications
Frozt
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

GB XXX (30) Adeptus Mechanicus Bunkers

Post by Frozt » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:24 pm

While I know that most people plan things for buildings, I tend to just "go with the flow" with what I have... sorta like Legos but with building installations... which is Ironic considering the following:

Instillation No. 001:

While slightly haphazard, I'm trying to make it seem like they are refurbished ruins that the Imperium is trying to rebuild (or Tau, as these were designed for a little campaign I have in the works to help those new to the game in our still forming club.)

Instillation No. 002:

I was thinking this was more a public gathering location/tower when making this. Both are made with plasticard, a mix of GW building sets, and a lego Island that was from two different, yet somewhat old sets.
VC w1/L0/T0
Orks w3/L1/T1 (darn weedy gitz *lost to eldar*)

DracoAvian
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: GB XXX (30) Adeptus Mechanicus Bunkers

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:56 am

I think they look pretty good. Are those left over bits from cities of death buildings? They look spectacular... I might have to get my hands on some.

My one suggestion is that you remove all legos. They are convenient, but anyone, anywhere, anytime will see the legos. They won't be able to unsee the legos and it will remove from that undefinable trait that scratch built or specialty made terrain has.

This is coming from a person who used jenga blocks and legos as fences and old marble tracks to outline houses. :P If you have the materials to, I would swap out legos and use styrofoam or some other medium. It really does look so much better. If you try it out, you will see what I'm talking about.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Frozt

Post by Frozt » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:00 am

Yup they are cities of death buildings, and im trying to find a way to remove them. I'm thinking of using sand to do the job.
VC w1/L0/T0

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:41 am

Nice work bud. I used to have both of those lego things. Old school for sure!

I don't think they will kill the build entirely. You just need to mask them a lot. Maybe try watering down some spackle just a bit and rubbing it all over the smooth flat areas. It could give it a concrete look.

In those corner areas you could make a comm array or automated turret to hide them.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Sethside
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Sethside » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:11 pm

YEAH! Original underwater Lego sets rule!
A BAD IDEA, is usually a good one

Frozt

Post by Frozt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:04 am

Underwater? No both were pirate sets. one was a Spanish fort while the other was an old pirate lookout... both from the early 90's I think
VC w1/L0/T0

LordGreeble
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by LordGreeble » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Haha the legos brought me back, like to see what you do with this :)
So, Wait... Your tellin me, orcs are related to mushrooms!
Check Out My Current Projects

Check Out My Gallery

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:50 am

ahh....legos. makes me think back to when i made forts of legos bigger than i was. good times....

anyways! instead of sanding, i would suggest a plaster or something as was previously suggested. probably be a lot less work and time, and it would probably take away that smooth factory look of the plastic so you'd have more room to make it look like actual scratch scenery. or in simpler terms, more room to make it look awesome :D

-BB
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Ferrous-Wrex
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Ferrous-Wrex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:17 pm

I don't have a huge problem with using Legos, but like most people said you need to find a way to cover them up, or at least cover the studs. If you have enough of them you could use the flat 2x2 plates (or other sizes) that don't have a stud on top. You can also buy them individually from Lego in their Pick a Brick section for a few cents each. They would give you a nice tiled floor look. Sand them down a little and/or add some textured paint and you're in business!

Return to “Group Build XXX (30)”