GBXXX Moritz's Imperial Guard Bunker

This month's theme is Defensive Fortifications
Moritz
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

GBXXX Moritz's Imperial Guard Bunker

Post by Moritz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Hey Guys...
I know Bunkers are standard and nothing special, but I need some to represent the Stratetic asset for Apoc. And as this months Group Build Theme is Fortifiacations I though why not.

My basic Ideas behind it:
  • 1. I wanted it big enough to easyly fit a ten man squad with heavy weapon team inside (it is still too low for the vox caster and sergeants with a raised chainsword, but that had been too big).
  • 2. The Design is a mix between the bunkers in Dawn of war and the Space Marine game. With the top held by two "Clamps" on either side, rather than the pillars in the corners.
  • 3. Because it grew pretty big I wanted squads to be able to be placed on top of it, so it doesn't use up that much space on a battlefield.
Now these are some pictures of the prototype:

Please note that this is NOT the terrain piece i will built for this group but rather a replica or another version of it.

There are some things I want to improve:
  • 1. Be more exact with the wall section. And more thorough with filling up any gaps.
  • 2. Give it a seal of glue before applying the sand. The Armypainter spray will desolve the foam. That may look good in some places and bad in others.
  • 3. The sandbags on top of the bunker need to be bigger.
  • 4. It is yet missing a ladder to get on top of it... Havent found anything that I liked yet.
Any comments on what else I should look at is greatly appreciated. In the end I plan to build six of them in total.

I am thinking on doing a video on how I build it, as a tutorial...
About the 41th Millenium: Basically life sucks, there is only war and you'd probably get eaten by a Tyranid.

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: GBXXX Moritz's Imperial Guard Bunker

Post by Blue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:34 am

I like the green color it has and all the random texture too.

In the future I recommend to paint the inside of the square holes so when it is assembled you don't see any blue.

-I don't think the sandbags need to be bigger, maybe the pile itself could be higher here or there but the size of the bags themselves looks good to me.
-Instead of using army painter check local hardware stores for Krylon H2O spray paint. It's formulated to not eat foam.
-For a ladder I have been thinking of using scale railroad tracks. I haven't done it yet but it could work. You can also stroll through a dollar store, your sure to find something there.

Maybe add some sandbags (just a few small piles here or there) to the lower sill where the heavy weapons are poking out. Just as extra defense.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Hightower86
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Hightower86 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:15 am

it will be interesting to see how this will turn out.

Moritz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Moritz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I think the spay onle ate at the places where I used a but too much... Will use some spare parts to try. I doupt Krylon H2= is available here, but something similar for sure.

I meant the pile to be bigger not the bags itself, as it is now it barely reaches their knees, due to the base of the models.

To put Samndbags on the lower level. Why hadnt I thought of it. Thats genius, will definitely do it.
About the 41th Millenium: Basically life sucks, there is only war and you'd probably get eaten by a Tyranid.

balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 pm

No need for bigger sandbags as their size is great as is, but you do need more height there, they should be able to cover a ducked down man w/o much trouble.

You don't really need sandbags on the lower levels since the concrete already protect the guys, you could place some physical protection that stop attackers from closing in the bunker, as fences, tank traps, barbed wire, etc.

This piece just looks great, I'm definitely going to try my hand at this bunker design.
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

Moritz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Moritz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:25 am

The sandbags on the lower level would rather be for looks than actual protection. Will make the individual Bunkers more different from each other.

Obstacles are planned, but as individual terrain pieces rather than as part of the bunker itself.

Moritz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Moritz » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Finally got to take some pics of my work so far...
Hadnt had too much time to work on it yet.

Thats the base for the lower level:

For this on I decided to break out a part of the wall... As if some big Gun had hit and Damaged the Bunker. then I "filled" the gap with sandbags, as a makeshift repair.

I'll try to get some time to work on it later this week...

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm

That looks both incredibly awesome and very easy to do. The sandbags in particular look fantastic. Did you use play-dough?
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Moritz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Moritz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:52 pm

I used something called "FIMO"... Its moddeling clay, that dries on the air (dont think the styro will survive a baking ;)) and it gets rock hard when dried too... Very stable...

I'll post a pic of the package on my next update.

It's really easy to do...
I suggest cutting the roof first, then adapt the wall pieces to fit neatly underneath, so no complicated measuring...
For the hole where the sandbags went I just chipped pieces out with the knife, and then used those pieces in between the sandbags...

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:00 pm

i love the idea of the quick repaired hole. creative and makes it different from other bunkers. (the sandbags all look amazing btw. i'm still practicing mine) looking foward to pics of these bunkers of yours :D

on the subject of suggestions from the prototype, besides the unanomiously aggreed upon sandbags.....i like the idea of making modular ground defenses. give it more of a bunker war zone feel without making the bunker itself too bulky or difficult. the green's kinda cool, but...i dunno. feels to me like there should another material in there besides whatever that green stuff is. course i don't know the terrain inspired for this. just a thought.

-BB
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Ferrous-Wrex
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Ferrous-Wrex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Hope you haven't quit on this piece yet. I like the 'clamp' concept, and agree that the sandbags look great.
Seems like the gap between the lower portion and the roof is too wide. May be the angle of the pics, but it doesn't look like it covers much of a standing person. Is it so that the lascannon can stick out? I think you could fill the gap with more of your sandbags and leave a space for the lascannon to stick out. Just a thought.

Moritz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Moritz » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:12 pm

No worries... Havent quit on the project. But I had lots of work form uni these days... I'll keep you posted...

Return to “Group Build XXX (30)”