GBXXX: DracoAvian's bombed/burnt-out church - Completed

This month's theme is Defensive Fortifications
DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: GBXXX: DracoAvian's bombed/burnt-out church

Post by DracoAvian » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:31 pm

So I figured out why I can't find the camera. It's in Chicago on a short vacation. It will be in Chicago until tomorrow. I will attempt to borrow a camera from a friend, but I don't know if I will succeed. The pictures will definitely be up tomorrow.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Crusherfex
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Crusherfex » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:06 pm

It looks so good, it would be a shame not to have it completed. Get that camera!

DracoAvian
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:55 pm

Camera is still in Chigaco, but one of my friends was generous enough to loan me his long enough to get some pictures. Some of the pics are blurry, but I'll most likely retake them as soon as I get my camera back.

Yep. Gravity still works. That won't be getting up there any time soon.

Guest ensemble! My friend was willing to lend some members of the Company Command to stand in for a few unpainted guardsmen. I think they look rather snazzy.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Crusherfex
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Crusherfex » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:06 pm

That...is...AMAZING! Truly great!
The moss is mind-blowing! LOVE it!
The best part about your building is that there is plenty of space inside for a big unit, or multiple units, to stand in. GREAT job!

EDIT: change the title to "complete"!

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: GBXXX: DracoAvian's bombed/burnt-out church - Completed

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:38 pm

ahhh..... beautiful!
and the buttresses did wonders for those walls.... also love the random hole in the front of the tower. pretty cool.
only two things i would change. one, the back wall where the altar is. it just seems weird for it too be unscathed when there's a hole in the tower and the walls are cumblin to pieces..... the second is those doors of yours. they look brand new to me... i would've made them a little darker, burn the edges a bit, maybe rot or moss or something for age. lol depends on my mood XD but yeah beautiful piece you have.

-BB
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

DracoAvian

Post by DracoAvian » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:35 pm

darkned1ight wrote:only two things i would change. one, the back wall where the altar is. it just seems weird for it too be unscathed when there's a hole in the tower and the walls are cumblin to pieces..... the second is those doors of yours. they look brand new to me... i would've made them a little darker, burn the edges a bit, maybe rot or moss or something for age. lol depends on my mood XD but yeah beautiful piece you have.
About the back wall: I noticed the same thing when I was finishing up the painting. It was kind of a major DOH! moment :P It really didn't have anything special to it unlike everything else. I decided to get a little artistic with the vines to help even out the detail work.

I dislike the doors too, but I would have liked them a little lighter to appear sun bleached.

The theme for my (my as in the terrain that will be staying at my place) is kind of going for a maiden world theme. Human and Elvish (or Eldar if you prefer) architecture with battle damage, but not too much decay. I don't want it to look like some of the heavily urban, war of attrition, or death pieces where everything is grim dark and has large piles of rubble :P I want my pieces to look like a settlement that was abandoned, albiet with some incentive from some anonymous attacker. There should be some rubble, but not piles of bricks. Large pieces of rubble with which you could identify it's origins.

Ferrous-Wrex
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Ferrous-Wrex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:32 am

Very nice piece overall. If this is one of your first terrain pieces then kudos. You have many modeling techniques down and your painting looks really good. I also like the overall concept. Every collection should have a bombed-out church of some kind. I really liked the 'crater' in the front of the tower. Would like to have seen more of that technique in the rest of the building.
A few things to think about. Your piece should tell a story just by looking at it. I can tell you had an idea in your mind, but some of the details don't follow the story. For example, the pews. If the rest of the church has been virtually destroyed and burned out, how did the pews stay intact or were not carted off for firewood? Also, the lack of pieces of rumble is troublesome. True, that survivors sometimes haul off pieces of debris for there own use, but only after years of abandonment. There should still be larger chunks and small piles of rubble that would be of no use to anyone lying about. Your church looks swept clean!
Finally, take a closer look at some real-world architecture and don't be afraid to add more architectural details and proportions to your building. I know you can do it based on this piece, and you already sensed that the width to length ratio was off. Maybe you just ran short of time?

Return to “Group Build XXX (30)”