GBXXX: Crusherfex's Hive Hole Haven-COMPLETE

This month's theme is Defensive Fortifications
Crusherfex
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

GBXXX: Crusherfex's Hive Hole Haven-COMPLETE

Post by Crusherfex » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:13 pm

I made a Hive obj marker back in July for MotM. For GBXXX, I want to make a place for the hive: absorbed of all life and protected. My ideas are to have Spore Mine spawns as a sort of shield, but I don't have actual Spore Mines to spare on the terrain (plus I would like it not to be too cluttered). The Flesh Hooks will be a sort of fence, trapping the prey inside. I do want to add another trap but I don't know what. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CF
Last edited by Crusherfex on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

saltinerunner45
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: GBXXX: Crusherfex's Hive Hole Haven

Post by saltinerunner45 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 pm

perhaps for another trap you could do a gas type thing? maybe it accelerates the hormones in organisms, increasing their growth so the tyrandids have more biomass and genetic diversity? maybe its just toxic :P
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
"In the grim darkness of the future, there is only static grass." -Smurfyk
2000pts Tyranid

balangaz
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:45 am

@Crushefex

You don't need to spend spore mines on the terrain. Just make slots so that their bases fit, that way you can just place a couple on the terrain and remove them during gameplay, replacing them for stealers ground thingies.
saltinerunner45 wrote:perhaps for another trap you could do a gas type thing? maybe it accelerates the hormones in organisms, increasing their growth so the tyrandids have more biomass and genetic diversity? maybe its just toxic :P
Having Hive Guards popping from the ground due to accelerated growth would be a great defensive system. Having a Carnifex doing the same would be the ultimate defensive system lol
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

saltinerunner45

Post by saltinerunner45 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:48 am

maybe even a turret, like a heavy venom cannon that will automaticly shoot anything that comes close?
perhaps something like barbwire but make it look like its from the strangelweb?
saltine runner thanks you for reading this post, and is sorry for his ramblings.
2000pts Tyranid

Crusherfex
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Crusherfex » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:28 pm

saltinerunner45 wrote: perhaps something like barbwire but make it look like its from the strangelweb?
...or the "barbed" strangler :lol: ?

In all seriousness, these are all great ideas. I really like the spore mine one and the hive guard one, but I don't know how I'm going to put the HG without making it look like it's just a model.

CF

saltinerunner45

Post by saltinerunner45 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Crusherfex wrote: ...or the "barbed" strangler :lol: ?
.... *Facepalm* lol
as for the hiveguard maybe you could have it bursting from the ground (maybe an "egg") like it was buried?
or if your talking rapid growth, maybe you could do a conversion between a termagaunt and the guard, as if it was growing into the guard? idk about that one
2000pts Tyranid

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:03 am

This is a great idea. Always good to see some nid terrain!
Crusherfex wrote:but I don't know how I'm going to put the HG without making it look like it's just a model.
Maybe just use the heads and bury them halfway in the dirt like they're peeking out. A few hands in the right spots too. Or cut them in half so they're partially submerged.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Crusherfex

Post by Crusherfex » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:57 am

Blue wrote:This is a great idea. Always good to see some nid terrain!
Crusherfex wrote:but I don't know how I'm going to put the HG without making it look like it's just a model.
Maybe just use the heads and bury them halfway in the dirt like they're peeking out. A few hands in the right spots too. Or cut them in half so they're partially submerged.
That's a really nice idea. The only problem is that Hive Guard are so expensive. I could use some Termagants or spare Warrior bitz though...
I'm going to some stores today and tomorrow to collect materials. Hopefully I'll get something done.

CF

Tmb
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:33 am

haha HIve Hole Haven... alliteration...
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:35 am

Tmb wrote:haha HIve Hole Haven... alliteration...
:roll:
Crusherfex wrote:The only problem is that Hive Guard are so expensive.
Do you have some of that insta-mold stuff?

Crusherfex

Post by Crusherfex » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 pm

Blue wrote: Do you have some of that insta-mold stuff?
Afraid not :(
Tmb wrote:haha HIve Hole Haven... alliteration...
You caught me :wink:

So, I got my materials and I started the build.

My building skills aren't as advanced as some experienced builders here. I use no greenstuff ( :shock: ) and I'm not great at painting. Also, I don't know how to make images smaller. Any link to the thread on how to make images smaller would be greatly appreciated.

That's what I want it to look like. Nothing is glued on yet. Of course I'm going to smooth out the edges

The hive and some "turrets" I decided to use. They are Deathspitters for MCs, so I'll never use them anyway :lol:

I decided to add some spore mines, yet let them be able to come off. I just put them in before the clay dries, put that line mark on the clay.

The side spikes I want to use. None are glued, so they will be undercoated, painted, and fixed up.

I had small infestation markers, but I will use them as objectives, so I just decided to use their outline for detail.

I'm going to work on it some more, and I'm going to add a lot more to it, but haven't yet. More WIPs will come eventually.

Comments and criticisms strongly welcomed!

CF

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:05 am

Dude... That's just awesome! The turrets are a great idea.
What kind of clay is that?
Crusherfex wrote:and I'm not great at painting
From the looks of that hive hole your underestimating yourself.

Crusherfex

Post by Crusherfex » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:14 am

Blue wrote:Dude... That's just awesome! The turrets are a great idea.
What kind of clay is that?
Thanks man! It's crayola modeling clay. The pack just turned out ugly.
Blue wrote:
Crusherfex wrote:and I'm not great at painting
From the looks of that hive hole your underestimating yourself.
That might be on of my best paint jobs, but i still don't like it :roll:

CF

saltinerunner45

Post by saltinerunner45 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 am

OMG this is coming along awesome!
must have nid terrain... Must Have Nid Terrain
THE HIVE MIND WANTS IT!!!
2000pts Tyranid

Hightower86
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Hightower86 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:25 pm

This looks really cool, and the painting job is good. Btw how long does it take for the clay to harden?

Return to “Group Build XXX (30)”