GB XXX: Balangaz's foward defensive outpost [Complete]

This month's theme is Defensive Fortifications
Sethside
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: GB XXX: Balangaz's foward defensive outpost

Post by Sethside » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Thats comin along nicely man!
A BAD IDEA, is usually a good one

balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks guys, and sorry for the delay. I'll be getting back my new camera so I can take better (much better) pictures and also close ups, so just stick with me for a little while.

Also, I don't know how much is too much when it's about pictures, so just tell me if this is too pic heavy and I'll get more description here.

I did some work on the base, since we all have to put our pieces somewhere.

I got a piece of white styro and cut a piece out of it. Also, I shaped it so it looks like it's the way up a dune.

Image Image

The, some tree bark (my mom got some for her vases) and glued some onto one side until I got the look I wanted.

This is what I got:

Then, I took my naval mine, cut a piece out of the base and did some magic.

the final look

Here is how I want this piece to look like later, I just placed all the pieces on it.

Image Image

EDIT: After taking a look at the pics and I have to say I'm really sorry about them, they are crappy. Real sorry.
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

DracoAvian
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Cool! It's kind of hard to see depth on the foam because it's white, but I think it looks pretty awesome. I'm kind of worried about how models will stand close to the edge. It looks a bit precarious. I really like the tent, I makes the terrain piece look like it belongs on the border of some distrustful neighbor. I think it would be a great centerpiece for some special scenarios.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

LordGreeble
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by LordGreeble » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:18 pm

looks like a pretty kool idea :)
So, Wait... Your tellin me, orcs are related to mushrooms!
Check Out My Current Projects

Check Out My Gallery

balangaz
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 pm

To all a good news, no more cellphone pictures, my camera is back! Now, if only I knew how to improve my photo editing skills...

@LordGreeble Thanks man!

@DracoAvian The border is actually very gentile, the models don't tip or anything, you just have to place them carefully. Here's some models near the edges of the board, see how they lean but stay up.

Since most of my terrain aren't used for gaming, only display, I can place the models as carefully as I want =p

Update time!

Lots been done yesterday, I was kept from working on my models/terrains for almost a week so I had a lot catching up to do. Note, when I use th name of a GW paint, I'm not using that paint, only an equivalent (using comparison chart, it's just so you guys know what color I'm talking about right away. Critics and comments are appreciated and encouraged.

The Base

First, I smoothed (a little) and sanded the base, painted the lookout tower, painted the base of the tent, got some accessories for the terrain and did a small table using hirst molds. Let's see what i've done.

Sanded you guys can see the shape a little better.

So you guys can see how big the base is

I was going to paint the base today but decided to wait a little, wanted to make sure the sand was really set. I used a watered down PVA mix over the sand, and since I didn't painted this today, I'll probably give it another coat to make sure no sand will fall off.

The Tower.

I painted using several layers of drybrushes and some washes. Used black base, 1 drybrush layer of Catachan Green, then Dheneb Stone for the most part. Then, some washes with home made Devlan Mud, mostly on where shadows would be. For highlights, Dheneb Stone and Skull White, 1:1. i'll get other angles when it's glued to the base.

overall look at the tower

With heavy Stubber mounted on top

Close up on the stubber, the computer on the back set's off the naval mine, I'll have to think how I can do the wiring or should it be wireless.

The stairs, based with Necron Abyss, then mid toned with Fenris Grey, and a light highlight of Skull White. Doesn't matter if they are crooked, they are old and used.

The Tent.

I made a light tan using Skull White and Chocolate (a color between graveyard earth and bestial brown), 2:1. Then, a couple of washes with HM Devlan Mud and I got this. It turned out better than I was expecting, so i think I'm going to scrap the camo netting idea, just some more painting details and it's good to go.

I'm still going to paint either a camo pattern using Dheneb Stone and Bleached Bone, this is what I'm going for (minus the red stripes). Well, either this or a normal desert camo pattern.

BTW, this is a diorama, not a reference picture, check it out and learn somethings from a master

My humble tent so far

The setup of how I want this to be on the terrain piece.

Finally, near the tent, I'll probably put a table with some ammo crates and a detonator. I made this table using the sci fi mold from hirst, and used a triagular file to weather it. It's painted brwn just so it's not white lol

Table, accessories and a small chair

Size reference pic: What should I wear today...

And, just because it's fun to edit, and even though the model, the table nor the accessories are painted, the photo turned out very good.

Archive photo: Bar Hadrinian during his watch

Thanks for your time, this was a long post.
Last edited by balangaz on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

Sethside
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Sethside » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:19 am

This is lookin great man, props for no defined base I like that
A BAD IDEA, is usually a good one

fred2437
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by fred2437 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:23 pm

nice job look forward to seeing it completed.
Cadian 5th 1500 points
Going through hell? Keep going.
If at first you don't succeed, shut up, succeed.
My D-Day terrain board: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... =7&t=66185

balangaz

Post by balangaz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks guys, and sorry for the last post, I quoted myself instead of editing my last update post. I'll try to bring some more updates and start assembling the final piece.

DracoAvian
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:48 pm

I absolutely love the last pic :P It's fantastic.

About the terrain: It was kind of hard to see the slope earlier, but it looks much better than I thought it was. Looks good!
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:13 am

The tents looks great bro! I've been inspired to make a whole set of them! Just need to find time to do so... :P
Everything else is coming along nicely dude. The bark rocks look great and sweet find on the 'mine'.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

balangaz

Post by balangaz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:01 pm

I got kinda lost playing with conversions (got new toys yey), so I haven't done any work on this piece yet, but Saturday i'll have access to an airbrush and work shall be done!

At least, the terrain's accessories are painted (but no pics, lent my good camera to my mom and I ain't using my phone camera again)

balangaz

Post by balangaz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:47 pm

@DracoAvian Yeah, the last pic made me like my army even more xD

@Blue I lost the tent coming back from the workshop today, don't really know what I'm going to do about this, but I'm glad you liked it!

Updates

Double post, but it's my thread =p

My camera's going to Argentina for a week, so there would be no updates until it came back, but I managed to stay up and used it before it went away, so I can give you guys some updates!

The Base

I painted the rocks on the base. I decided not to go grey scale on them since it's desert theme, I used a brown scale and this is what I ended up with.

Click for a close up picture

Base: Flat black; then I drybrushed Van Dyke brown, Raw Sienna, Ocre Yellow, mix 2:1 Ocre yellow/Dheneb Stone, pure Dheneb Stone.

About the sand, I painted with a old cotton color wall paint. I use this color for sand and it gives me the sandy yellow I like (I don't like the white sand). I also used a khaki light brown I use to paint my desert tanks as shadows on the sand.

The tank, so you guys know what color I'm talking about. Can't really tell you the color since I made it by eye.

I wasn't able to take many pics of the sand but there will be when the piece is done.

Just to show you guys the texture, it's dark because a cloud blocked the sun when the pic was taken.

This color is much closer to the right color. I wanted to show also how the mine ended up, half buried in sand.

The tower
These were taken before I painted the sand.

Glued the tower to the base and used acrylic paste to make it look like it's not just glued there. Then, PVA glue and fine sand over the paste.

The top is completed also, I made some sandbags, painted the H. Stubber and glued the computer that sets off the naval mine up there.

Click for a close up

C&C's welcome, hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am =p

balangaz

Post by balangaz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:31 pm

Ok, finisehd the terrain piece. It fits way more than 10 infantry models (5 just on top of the tower), a vehicle or a MC easily, so it can be placed anywhere on the board without hindering gameplay. Tower ended up as tall as a Trygon so it's a good LOS blocker, and the slope is as tall as an metal Tallarn model, so it can block LOS for infantry behind.

I'm quite pleased with the result, and I'm happy I could participate on this GB. Here are some pictures I took for you guys.

Overall view on the pieces separated, the tent is movable so bigger models can walk through the terrain piece

Overall view on the pieces together

Overall view of the stones on the back. Close up on stones with daylight on them.

Terrain with the tent near the remains of a camp fire

The tower

Ammo boxes on a table

Inside of the tower with spare Stubber ammo box and the computer that sets of the naval mine. Click for a close up on the outside of the tower with sandbags and the mounted Heavy Stubber

DracoAvian

Re: GB XXX: Balangaz's foward defensive outpost [Complete]

Post by DracoAvian » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:12 pm

It looks brilliant, mate! Subtle but crucial, I like this piece a lot.

Hightower86
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: GB XXX: Balangaz's foward defensive outpost [Complete]

Post by Hightower86 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:36 am

I like it, really great work!

Return to “Group Build XXX (30)”