GB XXIX: Xand's Magical Island Altar COMPLETE

This month's theme: Magic! Join in on the fun and create some terrain.
balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: GB XXIX: Xand's Magical Island Altar COMPLETE

Post by balangaz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:33 pm

That's a great piece, man. Could have used a little pound under the dowel, with a 'waterfall-ish' covering the wood, or a clear acrylic rod, but this is a great piece on it's own.

Good luck man
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

fluffyfen
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by fluffyfen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 am

i LOVE IT <3
it looks like it can be used for a fulcrim in a storms of magic game 8D
Bromanced to my Brosband - BewareOfTom

Pen gun, mightier than the sword. Sword gun, mightier than the pen gun.

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Very cool man!
Nice sculpting on the knife and glass!
I like that it floats. Are there rules to get up there? Jump packs only?
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:29 am

Final piece came out great dude. The vines/roots look real, very nice work dude.
What is the green ground foliage? Looks pretty cool!
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

LordGreeble
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by LordGreeble » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:45 pm

that is pretty kool I love this, would have liked to seen if you could make the island look like it was floating, Great job though :)
So, Wait... Your tellin me, orcs are related to mushrooms!
Check Out My Current Projects

Check Out My Gallery

xand
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by xand » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks guys, as always I appreciate the comments!
balangaz wrote:That's a great piece, man. Could have used a little pound under the dowel, with a 'waterfall-ish' covering the wood, or a clear acrylic rod, but this is a great piece on it's own.

Good luck man
I know! >< I spent all my time building the island part with it sitting on a plastic cup, then when it came time to attach it I searched all around the house to find something to use and settled on one of those thick plastic straws from some mega-drink that I kept for making pipes with, but it just wasn't strong enough to support the weight and kept falling over. In a last desperate attempt to make the whole thing stand up so I could take pictures (I wouldn't have had access to the Internet later in the day to upload it in time for the contest) I stuck the dowel inside the straw to give it support.
Blue wrote:Final piece came out great dude. The vines/roots look real, very nice work dude.
What is the green ground foliage? Looks pretty cool!
Oh, that's little bits of moss. I was going to flock the top of the island, but when I went to the only store around here that had any in walking distance, they were out, so I grabbed this and used a few pieces to create a grass-look.
Nature Chaos: 1039 pts

Check out my WIP here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 26&t=69158

And my youtube channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cauldroncra ... e=g-subs-u

Return to “Group Build XXVIIII (29)”