noob overview and rant on P.M.C.

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
Crazy9
MiniWarGaming Beginner

noob overview and rant on P.M.C.

Post by Crazy9 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:08 pm

It is hard for me to find somthing negitive to say abought thes guys so insted of doing a bad part good part like i plan to do with the Xalanthouse ill just do both here.
diclamer ( think this is wahts its called look at the first paragrah of the one i did for the X'lanthouse same rules apply)

Like i menchend already its hard to say anything bad abought thies guys thier probly the easeist and most rewarding faction out thier thay can also be the most dall if you just whatnt to win all the time. (nothing says fun like a massive amount of smoke grenades) but bescides some falws ther over all good stalin once comented that Quantity has a Quality all its own and the P.M.C. has both quantity and quality in equle portions. the big thing abought them is tiher simple to play and learn no gimicky rules i don't even have any questions abought them thier prety well defined.
Arbitrator-this guy has usefulness but its a bit limited he helps by been another comander bring the pmc comander count up to four if you want to spend the points they can also bring gravity grenads on of the few people how can in the army ( so far) and i can see them supporting close range units like the agents seackeing of witch.
corpret Agents- thies guys are good at almost every thing expecaly since you can upgread them with viro knifes 2 str.6 attackt on 4 or 5 guys yes please and an Aritrator for the extra killy goodness for when things get close and personal.
Recruiter- also usefull and can take an Aritrators place if you whant him to.
recruits- cheap, efective, swarm not much eles to say
survaers- cheap, usfull, suport not much eles to say
medic- cheap, anoying, not realy worth it in low point games
comando- like the Arbitrator just cheaper and likes to hid more realy just an assassin buffer
Director- probly the cheapiest and most effective commander in the game for 25 more points you can get him another command points and for you people who don't know how command point regeneration works its number you have to start dived by 2 round down so for 25 points the commander gets one command point more each turn and can get half of them back in just one turn, say nothing what this could do with his lasser pistol.

All in all the P.M.C. is a solid faction with the abillity to turn out a massive lode of command points in a 500 point game 315 points can get you 18 loss comand pionts for a lot of re-rolls( note i do not indores this recruets are cheap but you pretty much put all your solo points in to commanders)quick, easy, and simple any one can play them and be good but they leave room for you to master the style.

Crazy9
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: noob overview and rant on P.M.C.

Post by Crazy9 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:11 pm

forgot to menchen somke grenades thier very powerfull but can dall the game quite a bit add to that that people will find ways to get around them and even punish you for it (AKA. DON'T Smoke Spam, nobody likes smoked spam)

Sabet
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Sabet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:19 pm

You may some good points, but I think the purpose of the PMC was to provide a simple, easily understood, easily relatable faction. The "general" faction, if you get what I'm saying.

On an otherwise unrelated note:
And can you please work on spelling? It's an atrocity to read.
The Beasts are rising...

Cyrmuvoodoo deserves a reward for the massive contribution to this game

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:01 pm

I don't know that I'd classify this as a rant. That's probably just me quibbling, though. All in all I generally agree with your breakdown of the faction. It is very straightforward in many respects, it gains from unit synergies in a linear manner and seems fairly forgiving for those who don't like to plan ahead too far or who like their tabletop strategy in disposable, reliable doses of performance.

I would caution those who look at the PMC against underestimating their ability to synergise or overestimating their ability to be a "point and click" army. You cannot just throw them down and expect to have an easy time of the game. It does require you to consider your order of operations, otherwise you'll smoke your own fire lanes or have too many assets committed to a position and therefore with not good shots where you need them.

The other thing I would say, and which I think you've missed in your breakdown of the PMC, is that they are going to be massively hungry for command points. None of their units have really spectacular stats and while quantity does indeed make up for that, their units are also generally armed with low strength weapons and volume only goes so far when rolling wound attempts. A recruit squad might well be RA18 before deductions but that doesn't change the fact that against an average opponent armour they're looking at a 33% chance of a wound at best.

Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Cow » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Sabet wrote: On an otherwise unrelated note:
And can you please work on spelling? It's an atrocity to read.

I have to admit, I can't really read it either. Some people are still learning, but the original post included two seperate spellin's of X'Lanthos. So there isn't even any precision or consistancy.

Haven't been around in a while. I can't remember if PMC's smoke spam was fixed a little more? That was like the only thing that really bothered me.
My wine coaster is a blast template.

My Tank is Fight!

My other shirt has a Psychic Hood

Crazy9
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Crazy9 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 pm

sorry abought the spelling but i aparently have some problem and it never got above third grade (just be glad you don't have to read my hand wrighting...'shivers for effect'... it's realy bad
and im sorry if it souded like i think the P.M.C are a point and clik army I meant it to be that thier easy to get used to no sepical rules basic prenciples well defind any one can play them and do well but thiers still room to master them Reclamers are simler but are a bit more abscure with thier special rules
as always forgive the spelling errors

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey, I didn't mean to sound like a debbie downer - I was more expanding on what you'd said than trying to correct you. The main reason for that is I've seen a lot of people look at the "simple" armies in other games (Infinity, 40k, etc.) and say that their simplicity means they just don't have the tools to get the job done. Just because he doesn't have a 3+ save, veteran of the long war, a bolter, or what have you does not mean that the basic guardsman is not a scary little package of doom. You just have to play to his strengths. Similarly, although an Ariadna Moblot does not come with NBC shielding, servo-augmentation, rocket thrusters, a personality-saving brain implant, and a future-tech rifle, he's still extremely dangerous.

However, all of that simplicity means that IG players who like their infantry and Ariadna players who like HI can be lulled into thinking that their battle plans can be as simple. Not so, not at all. Just like the PMC, you've actually got to out-work your opponent in the strategy and maneuver department. However, since "strategy" and "maneuver" don't get entries in most codices or army lists I feel like a lot of players miss out on getting the most out of their simple units.

Crazy9
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Crazy9 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 pm

i agree reclamers look like a good easy to understand army but thier complacated by special rules like exosuites, X'Lanthose have more specail rules and not all of them are clearly defined. P.M.C don't have many specal rules and are very clear in what they mean wich makes them user frendly and a good army to get started on. Simple as in thier rules and obveous in what the do sniper snipes, agents shoot you don't have manipulator pulls with gravity, drops gravity, shoots gravity, no this guy rolled a 6 so now he has 2 armor 5MV ... so on and so forth not simple as in weak or all ihave to do is walk up and shot pepole thats not what i ment I ment that pepole can get used to them and play them and do well even if thay just got the game becuses thier units arnt as complacated like the other factions the game requires that kinda of thinking and easy to use units won't take away the need for stratagy.