small issue

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
dragon1010
Silver Vault Member

small issue

Post by dragon1010 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:38 pm

i dont know if anyone else has had a problem with this but the x'lanthos really have no way to deal with solos other than drown them in shots. granted they can do that quite well but it still takes a good portion of the army to do so. they are also the only faction as of now that has no way of having a weapon with the multiple wounds special rule. i really have been on the fence about this and want to see what everyone else thinks. is this something that should be fixed? or just an inherent army weakness that must be played around.

i know this was talked about before but this was a while ago and with the addition of the reclaimers does this need to be revisited?
armies i play: tyranids (14000 pts), marines (4000 pts) orks (1750 pts) eldar (4000 pts) ig (3000 pts) lizardmen (2500 pts) high elves (3000 pts) cryx (100 pts) blindwater congregation (50 pts) trollbloods (25 pts) Legion of Everblight (50 pts)

Sabet
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: small issue

Post by Sabet » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:32 pm

There is contagion. But apart from that, yes, the only answer is drown them in firepower.
The Beasts are rising...

Cyrmuvoodoo deserves a reward for the massive contribution to this game

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 pm

That's an interesting point. I think that although there is no multiple wound weapon there are a few things that might not be obvious fixes. First and foremost, don't neglect plain old firepower as a game changer. In particular, AoEs and Sprays are valuable for their ability to catch multiple units. It's going to be difficult with a spray weapon because of questions of range but at the same time, an entire squad with spray weapons is going to mess up anything it gets near. If they can catch multiple units under the templates then that's one hit per firing model per model under the template. No, number of hits possible is not a multiplier like you'd expect in other games but it does mean that shooting at a solo doesn't have to deprive you of your ability to roll the dice at another target as well.

Second up, the Assassin might as well be a multiple wound weapon - the ability to ignore armour means he's almost an autokill, particularly with CC14 never getting worse than a 7 to connect against another assassin and a lot more likely to be looking for the almost auto-hit 10 and 11.

Third, and finally, I think that the lack of a multiple wound weapon is probably a good thing. As long as the faction has other advantages then appropriate (in fluff/background/style terms, that is) gaps in their pool of units is only right and proper. It helps to ensure that the factions don't feel like palette-swapped versions of each other. It also helps create meta-game dynamics that drive special event gameplay, campaigns, and tournaments, three of the pillars of a healthy gaming community.

Sabet
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Sabet » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Can't believe I forgot the Assassin... That thing is a multi-wound shredder
The Beasts are rising...

Cyrmuvoodoo deserves a reward for the massive contribution to this game

dragon1010
Silver Vault Member

Post by dragon1010 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 am

i havent done any playtesting with the current ruleset (dang college takes up SO much time :( ) but yeah i have to say the assassin slipped my mind. i knew it wasnt a huge problem but as i said i dont have a lot of time so i was just wondering what everyone's standing on the matter was. Thanks!
armies i play: tyranids (14000 pts), marines (4000 pts) orks (1750 pts) eldar (4000 pts) ig (3000 pts) lizardmen (2500 pts) high elves (3000 pts) cryx (100 pts) blindwater congregation (50 pts) trollbloods (25 pts) Legion of Everblight (50 pts)

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:01 am

I actually purposefully didn't give them any Multiple Wound weapons, but instead gave them access to stronger firing squads. The Phase Troops were actually designed with that exact thing in mind.

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:49 pm

I think that for the moment there seems to be a good foundation in the faction unit choices to encourage players to play to their strengths rather than trying to build "hard counter" lists with an answer for everything. Multiple wound weapons are very efficient when it comes to putting the hurt on solos, I admit, but I think that their lack in the X'Lanthos list is absolutely not troubling. Now, if we end up seeing an armour 6, 6 wound monstrosity out of the Salvagers or Bioformed then I might rethink that but even then it would only be a rethink, not a sure thing.

dragon1010
Silver Vault Member

Post by dragon1010 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:29 pm

thats what i was thinking but i was just wondering if that was something built into the army or just something that just hasnt been made yet. good to be informed thanks a bunch