Targeting Question

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Targeting Question

Post by cymruvoodoo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 pm

This is probably quite simple but I'm going to ask the question anyway:

How does targeting interact with squads and weapons which target specific models, such as AoE and Beam?

It looks like it should be quite simple, quite straightforward, but I do want to check. The penalty for being targeted is applied to that model as normal?

I can see room for people to argue that it was the _unit_ that was targeted and therefore the targeting penalty does not apply to any specific model from the unit, only when the unit as a whole is shot. I don't necessarily agree with this argument but I want to put it out there before it becomes a real argument in somebody's game.

It's gonna suck to not get an entire unit into cover, get targeted, and have the one poor schmuck in the open get the AoE dropped on his head to clip the rest.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Targeting Question

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 am

pg 16 of the rulebook: "An AOE weapon always targets an individual model, and never a full squad. This means that cover is only determined against the single model, even if the rest of the squad is in cover. The controlling player rolls to hit as normal. If the hit is successful, then center the AOE directly over the target."

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Targeting Question

Post by cymruvoodoo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:00 am

Yep, I quite agree, my question was more to make absolutely sure that the state of being affected by targeting applies to both the unit as a whole and every model within the unit individually.