Alternative to "spray" templates

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Alternative to "spray" templates

Post by Cow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm not a fan of adding some new template thingy to represent certain weapon's effects. I have argued some other alternatives a while back but none of them turned out all that intuitive.

May I at least argue just one more?

I'm thinking, let's let a standard AoE template (that has already been used for a ton of other effects in the game) represent the larger end of the spray template as in the rules of DP version 0.3.3. Weapons that have the "Spray" special rule can have a range stat (is Rn the abbreiviation?) like other weapons except they only work within the first range bracket. They are meant to be short range weapons after all, right?

Place the AoE with the center within the weapon's range. All models under it, and all models between any part of the AoE and the model firing it are considered hit.

Not sure if the firer's Ranged Skill should somehow affect anything, or any other details. I would like to know what everyone else thinks, being able to play the game with less different kinds of templates and markers seems like the way to go in my opinion, and this idea has identical effects. Just may require a little bit more measuring than just seeing if anything is under a template....
My wine coaster is a blast template.

My Tank is Fight!

My other shirt has a Psychic Hood

Sabet
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Alternative to "spray" templates

Post by Sabet » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 am

That actually makes a lot of sense. Simple too.

Only problem is the lines of measurement could get a little funny. People could be cheap and measure to a certain point of the base to avoid hitting their own models, or a different point to widen the spray, etc.

Unlikely, sure, but we have to try an account for as many possibilities as we can that could change the way it works or how effective it is in game.
The Beasts are rising...

Cyrmuvoodoo deserves a reward for the massive contribution to this game

Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Cow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Okay, I agree. That is a small but noticable difference. I'd suggest just having some hard ruling that leaves no option for defining "to the firing model"

Lets change it to: "Place the AoE with the center within the weapon's range. All models under it, and all models between any part of the AoE and any part of thebase of the model firing it are considered hit."

Does that not capture the concept if spray templates? Then change it to: "Place the AoE with the center within the weapon's range. All models under it, and all models between any part of the AoE and a single point on the model firing it are considered hit."

My Tank is Fight!

Sabet
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Sabet » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:40 am

No, it wasn't that matter. It was the fact that on the model FIRING it, you could move the base of the template.
Your second option gets closer, but still doesn't do it perfectly. We need a fixed point to measure from, especially if its a pointed end on the template (if we end up having one)

I'm not eloquent when it comes to rules design, but I can spot the flaws...
The Beasts are rising...

Cyrmuvoodoo deserves a reward for the massive contribution to this game

Cow
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Cow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Sabet wrote:No, it wasn't that matter. It was the fact that on the model FIRING it, you could move the base of the template.
Your second option gets closer, but still doesn't do it perfectly. We need a fixed point to measure from, especially if its a pointed end on the template (if we end up having one)

I'm not eloquent when it comes to rules design, but I can spot the flaws...
The fixed point to measure from is the base of the model. Anywhere on the base of the model firing it is fine it is only an inch circle, it can't really ruin the game at all.

If this isn't the problem I must apologize. I am a little bit confused as to what you are saying. You need a fixed point to measure from. I'd say that is the base of the model, or the edge of it. From there you measure out to the range, slap that AoE down and you can figure out the area of the spray easily.

My Tank is Fight!

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:29 am

seems to make perfect sense.. :)
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

dragon1010
Silver Vault Member

Post by dragon1010 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:01 pm

i have never had a problem with spray templates in the past. anywhere from the base seems like the best option in my view. because technichly the template is supposed t be coming from the barrel of the gun that model is firing, so wouldnt that model be able to move that berrel to where he needs it the most?
armies i play: tyranids (14000 pts), marines (4000 pts) orks (1750 pts) eldar (4000 pts) ig (3000 pts) lizardmen (2500 pts) high elves (3000 pts) cryx (100 pts) blindwater congregation (50 pts) trollbloods (25 pts) Legion of Everblight (50 pts)