Sniper Scopes

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
Fluff E
Now we're getting somewhere...

Sniper Scopes

Post by Fluff E » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:50 pm

I got an idea about snipers being able to take in different scopes such as

Gravity Fluctuation Detector- Using electronics housed in the scope it detects gravity fluctuations and shows the correct spot to aim to negate the gravity effect.

Infrared Scope- (I think Matt already suggested this one) Allows the user to see through smoke negating its effect.

Maybe make them cost ten points and only allow one per a sniper. If its still over powered perhaps allow them to only negate one.

darzinth7
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Sniper Scopes

Post by darzinth7 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:51 am

Give these scopes a cost and/or some sort of negative effect on general performance.

Fluff E
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Fluff E » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:20 am

darzinth7 wrote:Give these scopes a cost and/or some sort of negative effect on general performance.
I have suggested the cost before as 10 points but as for negative how about

Gravity fluctuation detector- due to the electronics being shotty and no way to repair them, it causes the scope to be a bit harder to use then normal. ( minus one to weapon skill)

Infrared scope- due to seeing in infrared it can sometimes be hard to destiguish whare your target begins and ends against the background. ( minus one to weapon skill)

Possibly adjust it to two or higher if balance issues are present.
Or:

Make it cost a command point to activate.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 am

I think, that if a small upgrde like this costs points already, it shouldn't ncessarily have a downside. think about it - for 10 points you could've bought another recruit.

EDIT: let's add an idea as well:

maybe scopes don't change stats, but have an 'ideal range'. (the name doesn't matter)
the ideal range means, that closer units (i.e. in the first two range bands) are harder to hit than units in the third range band (no modifier), and when they are further away than that, they become harder to hit again. think about it: if you're looking through a scope, it's easier to shoot stuff that is further away, but if it is either too close or too far away, it's hard to hit.
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Roscoe
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Roscoe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Expanding on this idea a little bit:

Electronic Targeting Program/AI scope - A program that detects targets and gives firing solutions to the user. Could be an AI built into a targeting scope. Rolling doubles to hit counts as rolling double 1s to hit. Note that double 6s still always fail.

Although with squads this would probably be a bit OP it might be ok on solos as long as its points balanced.

DM detection scope - A scope that picks up on Dark Matter energies. Plus 2 to your to hit roll if targeting an enemy with DM:Y equipment.

Night vision scope - Ignores the affects of night fighting (will have to wait for night fighting rules for this one).

Targeting Scope - An electronic powered scope that displays wind speed, target movement speed and distance to target to enable the operator to aim much more effectively. Plus 2 to your to hit roll. (Perhaps should be Plus 2 to your to hit roll if target is in optimal range)

@Slaughtergames Optimal range is a cool idea perhaps it should only be granted by weapon attachments and you get a flat +1 to hit against anything in your optimal range? This keeps it simple. Brackets indicate optimal range band e.g. x1 being the first range band x2 being the second etc.

Laser Sightings(x1)
Holographic Sights(x2)
Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight(x3)
x4 Scope(x4)
High Powered Scope(x5)

By keeping the entry with the optimal range band in the brackets it allows for quick reference and the ability to have multiple entries with the same optimal range band without it getting confusing, for example the different factions would use different equipment which may look something like this:

X'Lanthos

Target Acquisition Beamer(x1)
Target Scanners(x2)
Optical enhancements(x3)
Powered Optical enhancements(x4)
Extreme Range Optics(x5)

Salvagers

Fast FoF ID Processors(x1)
Hostilile Detection Suite(x2)
Advanced Firing Solution Program(x3)
Long Range Firing Solution Program(x4)

Hmmm I'm not completely sold on the idea just yet but it would be interesting to playtest with.

This also paves the way for other weapon upgrades such as:

Bipod - Grants the "Heavy" special rule.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:16 am

I made a little image to clarify what i imagined about scopes. in red rangebands the to hit modifier would be -2, yellow gets -1, and green is neutral ('cause green is the optimal distance) obviously, the numbers can be modified.

if this doesn't help the discussion, I at least hope it cheered you up :)
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

dragon1010
Silver Vault Member

Post by dragon1010 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:46 pm

the optimal range is a nice idea. though it seems like it would make more sense if it was a special trait for certain guns, like sniper rifles. but i do like the idea of having different scope types for the sniper, and the ones listed would be a nice addition, just points would have to be worked out.
armies i play: tyranids (14000 pts), marines (4000 pts) orks (1750 pts) eldar (4000 pts) ig (3000 pts) lizardmen (2500 pts) high elves (3000 pts) cryx (100 pts) blindwater congregation (50 pts) trollbloods (25 pts) Legion of Everblight (50 pts)

cymruvoodoo
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by cymruvoodoo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 am

You know, my first reaction to this was "wow, that's a no. Too complicated." But I didn't say anything, I let the idea steep for a bit, and I think as a points-cost upgrade which provides a unit special rule called Optimal Range (X,X) which is available in a very, very limited fashion would actually be something which could work. I think it might need to cost more than 10 points, though. 25 seems a bit more right.