suppressive fire thought.

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
NewtonHNBT
Now we're getting somewhere...

suppressive fire thought.

Post by NewtonHNBT » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:52 am

I have an idea to contribute about the suppressive fire mechanic. (I know that there were other topics about suppressive fire, but they were old, I'm sorry if this upsets anyone.)

If you changed suppressive fire so that it was simmilar to overwatch wouldn't that work? For example gave suppressive fire a maximum range and have the squad that is performing suppressive fire place a 45 degree overwatch (or whatever they are called) template and everything within the units line of sight on that small slice of table be pinned,and all models that pass threw automatically being hit (even friendly models.)

Well I do hope that I made at least some sense while trying to explain how I picture suppressive fire working.

And yes I do know that my grammar is very bad and confusing.

And I'm sorry if this idea was suggusted already but I checked all the threads that I thought would involve it and didn't see it, perhaps I just missed it. well if so I apologize.

well anyhows good day/evening to everyone ^_^
Yes, I am very strange. ^_^
Yes, Eldar are amazing. :D
No, these two things have nothing in common. O.o
  • Stuffs I has

Eldar: 1750(ish) points.

not enough yet :(

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: suppressive fire thought.

Post by slaughtergames » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 am

a few points:

-placing a 45 degree marker with a squad? even if you just put it by the squad leader, that might be awkward/shenanigans.

-when morale is passed, i think their should be just a small, debuffed ranged attack. if you say 'target unit takes 2 hits' that might inflict way more hits than when shooting normally. we want this to be risk/reward, not reward/reward. :)

-this should cost a CP

-IMO only one enemy unit should be able to be targeted in this way. you can't really suppress such a large area, AND this solves the first point.

-instead of Just ONE morale check, shouldn't it be separate checks for moving and taking actions? in that case this mechanic is a great way to get rid of your opponents' CP

my two cents ;)
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

NewtonHNBT
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by NewtonHNBT » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Thank you for reading this and posting your thoughts, but you seem to think I was trying to write a rule for use, but was just simply contributing and idea for someone else to put numbers and rules (joy-killing) stuff with.

the 45 degree marker shouldn't be confusing for a squad, simply place a 45 degree marker were all models have line of sight of most of the area intended to be covered.... and the 45 degree I was simply using as just an example, could be anything, perhasps just two dice and everything in front affected.
and costs of course would have to be determined. I was just trying to say it should be a space in front of the unit as an AOE (but the angled template would be bad as the area gets larger so maybe just a square template that lines are drawn from).The suppressing one unit just doesnt seem like it really is suppressive fire. Yes it is true that suppressive fire is used to pin down men, but also it is used to prevent enemy movements within a determined space, and also to prevent enemy shooting.

I did like the template idea that was used, however that didnt seem right either because if the squad is either just shooting randomly or shooting in controlled aimed bursts the rounds are not simply only going to affect a small area, and also it seemed too easy to be skirted around and became useless. So my idea was more focused towards the idea of board control by having the unit possibly fill an entire lane with shooting attacks during the next turn.

but you are right, it shouldn't cause wounds to units that try to move threw it, simply because noone (in their right mind) would ever move into this wall of whatever is being shot anyway, therefore models should not be allowed to even move into it, IDK just an idea. (not really sure where moral came from.)

Um with models inside the fire, they should be pinned I would think, but maybe not, maybe they are simply just scared and want to get out, so run in a random direction and forfeit shooting, or maybe some are brave and still will fight, but unwilling to move so half the squad is able to shoot (or a solo at half of their skill) and not move. just a few more ideas.

the main thing I was trying to share though was just a lane-styled AOE for suppressive fire. But maybe there should be a few different styles of supressive fire. Something like one just to pin down a single squad or character, another to deny (I do not know how to spell that sorry) a spot on the map, and another to prevent shooting at a friendly unit (covering fire)

well thanks for reading or at least trying to read my barely coherent thoughts. And I'm sorry it took me this long to reply.

Well anyhows good day/evening to everyone ^_^
Yes, I am very strange. ^_^
Yes, Eldar are amazing. :D
No, these two things have nothing in common. O.o
  • Stuffs I has

Eldar: 1750(ish) points.

not enough yet :(

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 pm

lol, somehow i find your barely coherent thoughts quite interesting. and you spelled deny right! (if my english doesn't fail me that is :))

i think the lane idea has popped up before, but if i recall correctly it was weird/hard to mark what lane was effected....

i would REALLY like some form of pinning/suppressing back in DP!
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"