I have a feeling...

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
AutarchRion
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I have a feeling...

Post by AutarchRion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:16 am

I think this game has some serious potential....

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: I have a feeling...

Post by Marit Lage » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 am

Some dark potential.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Pancakey
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Pancakey » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Whos actually playing this thing?

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 pm

I love how you think everyone should be playing a game when its rules aren't perfected and it's range isn't complete a year after conception.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Eillas
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Eillas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 pm

He's asking because in an age of information people want to know what they are getting into before they invest money into it. I myself have over the last few months really got into board games and deck building games. Now before I buy any myself, a friend of mine and I do a lot of research on the games we are intending to buy.

One of the biggest things that are selling points to us, is the game complete. Meaning are the rules fine tuned, are the components to the game good/high quality, does the game make sense to invest in especially if it has a lot of expansions. Now you say Dark Potential shouldn't be judged because its concept is not quite a year old and its miniatures line isn't complete. Well I say that's all the more reason to judge it. I can buy a starter faction for DP and sit on it for however long you are planning to wait for more miniatures and rules or I can a) buy a warmahordes starter set and solo/caster, b) buy a board game with miniatures, c) buy a deck builder with an expansion (sometimes 2 or 3 depending on the game), d) get into star wars miniatures starter set and 2 more ships, e) half of a GW battle force LOL. Ok that last one may have been a little bit of humour on my part but as you can see all of those options get me playing games right away and I am not sitting on anything waiting for it to potentially get finished or better.

Dark Potential may be a great concept however its delivery is the issue that is flawed right now. Until something fresh pops up like more minis being produced/sold I would be asking the same question "Is anyone even playing this game?" Personally now I think another kickstarter for this game would just be milking money out of people for a concept that the creator didn't truly believe in himself to throw his money/time into.

Peregrin
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by Peregrin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 am

The delivery isn't flawed. It's in Beta. There's a huge difference.
I've gotten into a lot of beta's for video games, both closed and open, and this product is a lot better developed than most of those have been.
That being said, I too would have liked to have seen more models by now. I love the concept and I'm really not into most of the other mini products you mentioned. Our group would defnitely have considered buying into DP if the existing factions had a few more models, and another couple of factions were available.
We don't play 40k, so I've considered this game as our sci-fi genre for this scale. I'm not really into all the fantasy anachronism in most of the games (dwarves with rifles and steampunk gear, etc), and we're playing GW's WotR for the pure fantasy in this general scale.
Website - The Display Case - http://minidisp.blogspot.ca