Scatter Rules

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
reddragon162
Silver Vault Member

Scatter Rules

Post by reddragon162 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00 pm

I was just watching 'X'Lanthos vs Reclaimers Dark Potential Battle Report - Beat The Cooler Ep 3' and in part 1 @ about 7:50 a grav grenade scatters 11" to the other side of the building it was dropped off of into an ally. I really had to call BS on that bogus result. I think there should be some sort of rule implemented that calls into consideration throwing or dropping objects into an inclosed space. Perhaps it would cut the scatter distance in half. I also think a rebound mechanic should be created where a thrown object can be thrown to rebound off a vertical surface. Perhaps it could allow an object to be thrown into an area not in LOS, around a corner. ect. but would cut the possible distance thrown in half, or reduced by 2" or something to that effect.
Dave says I am only 1/8 his brother...:(

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Scatter Rules

Post by miniwargaming » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 am

This is one of those times where the mechanic just doesn't always make sense. The same thing can happen in a game of 40k or Warmachine, you just don't see it at often because the terrain is not as dynamic.

Trying to make rules to explain all the different possible terrain placement scenarios would be a nightmare. The way it works now is a simple way to make it work quickly.

IPlayThisGame
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by IPlayThisGame » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:54 am

Couldn't you just have scatter modified by how far away the attacker is from the target, similar to Warmachine? Such as, have a weapon scatter D6" + 1" per range band of the attack. And for the case of gravity mines, have this as just straight D6" (since it's not an attack) or D6" + 1" if out of line of sight?

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:13 pm

That's definitely possible as well, as long as it doesn't make grenades / mines too powerful at the 6" - 12" ranges.

AkimboJonesx21
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AkimboJonesx21 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 pm

I like the way it is now. It's quite realistic and practical. The range of grenades are realistic in that a normal living creature can not throw as far as a bullet and the scattering accounts for error. I see no need to change. Also the X'Lanthose grivitic mine would loose all of its flavor as a long distant grenade.

Sabet
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Sabet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:29 am

AkimboJonesx21 wrote:It's quite realistic...
You can't throw something at a building in front of you and have it end up behind you on the other side of another building. Unless you're Superman.
The Beasts are rising...

Cyrmuvoodoo deserves a reward for the massive contribution to this game

AkimboJonesx21
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AkimboJonesx21 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 am

Acutally it is a theoretical placement of where you want it to go. Anything can happen when it's thrown. A strong wind can catch it. It could slip out of the users hand. The thrower could loose his footing. It could roll around a corner, bounce off a wall. Also, some mechanics, for simplicity, do not work in physical boundaries. What would you propose. Different mechanics for rolling on the ground, bouncing of walls, wind catching the grenade. Why not call the game Dark Potential: Realistic Grenade Mechanics, because that would be half the game.

wasaw47
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by wasaw47 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 pm

no need to be sarcastic...
we could just have a simple rule that goes like so:
«if a blast template scatters through a solid obstacle that is taller than 3'', such as a wall or cliff, instead of placing the blast template where it would normally land, place th edge of the blast in contact with the obstacle, without changing the direction of scatter. the blast must be placed between the thrower and the obstacle»

not too bad? this makes it easier to throw grenades against walls, without it being a cheesy way of throwing grenades at enemies who are behind a wall.