Fog Of War

Discuss the mechanics of Dark Potential here.
Forum rules
Please understand that by posting anything in this area of the forum that you are acknowledging that MiniWarGaming has permission to use your ideas without compensation.
AkimboJonesx21
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Fog Of War

Post by AkimboJonesx21 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:45 pm

During Matt's last live show he attempted to create a new mechanic for Dark Potential; Fog of War. After the conscientious of both him and Dan, they both agreed that Fog of War, for the meantime, would restrict units from firing past their second range band.

Lets get to work on this mechanic and make it practical for Dark Potential.

First off, I want to state that I see both the advantages and disadvantages for such a mechanic, but with some fine tuning it could be a welcomed addition to Dark Potential.

I am not in favor to this new addition with the current constraints. Constraining range just isn't in the spirit of Dark Potential. I see Dark Potential as a game with near unlimited freedom to do as one wishes. Sure there are borderline rules, but beyond that one can place, shoot, charge, and run as one sees fit. This mechanic says "No' you cant shoot first turn", making firs turn an overall "get in place" race without any pressure of attack.

I would propose using Perception for Fog of War, and would work as stated.

"If a unit has not been attacked upon, or has attacked, units using a ranged attack against it must take a perception test before rolling to hit if that unit is not within the first or second range band. If the unit fails the perception it will not continue on with the attack, and if the attacking unit has not fired or has been fired upon, it will continue to be under Fog of War. When a stealthed unit is relieved Fog of War no longer effects that model. Units on Overwatch that use a ranged attack will not have to take the Fog of War perception test."

Under this ruling Fog of War is constant, giving a player with greater positioning and timing the edge in combat. It keeps the freedom of attacking whenever alive. If gives new depth to the game and doesn't add any overcomplicated rules and constraints.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Fog Of War

Post by miniwargaming » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:00 pm

I must admit I do like the idea of using Perception in there somehow. It would force Command Points to be used early on as Perception is generally not that great.

I would almost love to see it as a constant mechanic to spot your target before firing at it. I don't think that would work too well however as it might slow the game down.

However, I really do like this idea, and would love to see others add on to it.

AkimboJonesx21
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AkimboJonesx21 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:44 pm

The perception tests would not be constant for it would only effect those who haven't used a ranged attack which, by round 2 or 3, every unit would have engaged in some sort of combat, and it also gives a bonus to non stealth solos, like the forward observer, that rely heavily on positioning and maximizing cover. Also those in the second or fist range band would not benefit from Fog of War.

hammerty10
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by hammerty10 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Akimbo. Sorry I find the wording confusing. could you try rewording it? But it seems like perception should be used before the first shot is fired.

If we assume that neither opponent is aware of each other at the beginning of the first turn, then they would first need to recognize that a threat is present. When the very first unit chooses to make a ranged attack it must pass a perception test. If passed, the shot can be fired. If failed, then the unit has not detected the opponent and can not fire the shot. Once the first shot gets fired, then danger is perceived by both sides and battle is engaged.

AkimboJonesx21
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AkimboJonesx21 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 pm

This isn't a massive war game like 40k. It isn't like one shot is fire and everyone lines up and charges forward. Dark Potential is more methodical and each unit is treated as though it was an individual and isn't part of a larger battle. Most combat is one or two units on one or two units. Just having an all out battle just isn't in parallel with other mechanics.

As for rewording.

"Fog of War effects all units that haven't commenced an attack, or haven't been attacked themselves. A unit looses any benefits from Fog of War when it is percieved, or commences an attack. If a unit attacks another unit benifiting from Fog of War, it must perceive that unit. To perceive that unit the attacking unit must pass a perception test. If failed, the attack does not happen, and if it benefits from Fog of War it continues to benefit from Fog of War. If it succeeds an attack continues as normally. When commencing a ranged attack on a unit within the first or second range band, the attacjed unit does not benifit from Fog of War if it has it. Stealthed units loose Fog of War when reviled and, if not stealthed the unit benefits from Fog of War as normal. Units on Overwatch do not need to perceive any unit that it is attacking".

BAD
Gold Vault Member

Post by BAD » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:33 am

This sounds really interesting. I'll have to see it tested, though, but I think it could level the playing field a tad at the beginning.
The Lannisters send their regards

wasaw47
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by wasaw47 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:20 pm

the idea is great, but it looks like it would be hard to always remeber what units are affected by FoW and which ones aren't. a simpler alternative would be to say that all units are affected by FoW on the first turn. (and it could stay in play for turn 2 on a dice roll)

HighlandPhoenix
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by HighlandPhoenix » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:52 pm

I agree with Akimbo's suggestion of Perception checks for Fog of War on turn 1.

However, I would also like to see Perception tests applying at all times for spotting the Corporation Snipers and Reclaimer's Forward Observers...surely these guys would be hiding and sneaking around as much as possible. I have felt these guys have been going down far too easily in my play tests and others. This should be okay and doesn't take anything away from the true Stealth solos, as the multiple stealth counters add a good uncertainty dimension to your opponents strategy on top of the required Perception checks.