GB XXVIII: Dwarven Rune Stone - Complete

This month's theme: Objective Markers
mrdisco
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

GB XXVIII: Dwarven Rune Stone - Complete

Post by mrdisco » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:32 am

Hello all, I've been following miniwargaming for a while now, but haven't entered any of the terrain builds. I have been working on several different terrain pieces, but one that I've been wanting to do is some "Stonehenge" style dwarf pillars. Here is my awful concept drawing done in gimp. Image
Last edited by mrdisco on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Build XXVIII - Dwarven Rune Stone

Post by Blue » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Hey dude, welcome to MWG!
Nice concept, let's see some updates...
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

mrdisco
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mrdisco » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:41 am

Here are some updates. I chose to do one really large rounded stone with a couple smaller pillars. First coats of paint to hopefully come tonight!

dangerdog
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by dangerdog » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Good use of blue foam insulation. You have a good start. Can't wait to see it painted! 8)
Facts are the enemy of truth.

mrdisco
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mrdisco » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 am

Here's my first coat with the Runes carved in. I'm thinking about leaving the stones this color, but doing a grassy hill... thoughts?

Grassy Hill?
or
Rocky terrain?

camsmclean
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Looks very cool. The stones could be left like that, maybe just a lighter grey dry brush? Id say a mix of rockey and grassy, maybe more rocks around the cliff or slope, some static grass here n there would looks nice too.

Coming along nicely.
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:23 am

Looking good so far...
I'd also say to drybrush the runes once more with another lighter color. Very lightly though.

For the hill I would recommend to do more than just a rocky texture. It would blend together too much with the runes. I like cams idea, use a mixture of dirt and rocks for the base and have patches of grass here or there.
Those runes wouldn't look so bad with some moss growing up them too.

mrdisco
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mrdisco » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:30 am

I ended up trying out a mixture of sand/paint/glue and added the rocks in on the sides for texture. I think it turned out pretty good, but got me sidetracked on my next piece of terrain (tower on a hill) - but I'm back to this project now and here are some more WIP:

I still need to basecoat the blank rocks and add highlights to the ones on the right. I'm going to add some moss, I hope I don't end up with too much in the end, I tend to use the moss to cover up lines. But I think the moss makes it look more unused and old. Thoughts and opinions and more than welcome! Keep em coming!

mrdisco
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Build XXVIII - Dwarven Rune Stone - Complete

Post by mrdisco » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:02 pm

So I'm done! I finished colouring in the rocks and added the rest of the moss! Let me know thoughts! I'm still new to this, so all critiques are welcome!

Blue

Re: GB XXVIII: Dwarven Rune Stone - Complete

Post by Blue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:14 am

The end result is fantastic dude, especially since your new to this. Very well done!

My only bit of advice would be to fully cover any area that will be ground with sand then flock on top of that. Yes you cover it up with flock but it tends to look more natural.

Again, nice job dude.

mrdisco
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mrdisco » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah I need to get some sand. Any good suggestions? Also I've read to sand/glue/flock/glue again.... What have you seen works well to make it pretty durable, but not look like plastic.

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:13 am

I get sand from anywhere I can find it. Local baseball diamonds, beach, silt from a creek, dirt from the street. You can also buy it at modeling and art stores or you can buy it at aquarium stores.

As far as sand/glue/flock/glue again. I wouldn't glue again unless you want that plastic look. I just accept the fact that the grass/flock might fall off and will need to be replaced after a while.

stevey293
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by stevey293 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:19 am

Another wee tip with the floor is after you put the sand down mix water with a little bit of pigment to make a dirty effect use different shades for realism.

This guys base is the only one i've taken photos of so far.

mrdisco
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by mrdisco » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks guys! I really appreciate that! I'm working on a board to play on and was wondering about sanding it first.

Return to “Group Build XXVIII (28)”