Space Travel - Calculations

If you have a direct question to ask Matthew about Dark Potential, ask it here.
Bubba
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Space Travel - Calculations

Post by Bubba » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 pm

You said, in the early 22nd Century vid that I just watch, about space travel that you had not made the calculations just yet. Well I was bored and love math so...

All numbers are rounded to nearest 0.
- Pluto is ON AVERAGE approx. 38.5 AU from earth, which is 5 759 523 000 km. At Pluto's closest it is approx. 28.5 AU or 4 263 543 000 km.
- The fastest unmanned space craft is the New Horizons (actually destined for Pluto) traveling at on average 58 500 km/h or 1 404 000 km/day.

Average - 5759523000 / 1404000 = 4102 days = 11.24 years
Closest - 4263543000 / 1404000 = 3037 days = 8.32 years

- So at current fastest speeds and assuming scientists are smart enough (or Pluto is actually on it's closer orbit) to do it while Pluto is closer, that absolute best we could do is 8.32 years.
- Even if we could triple the speed of the spacecraft by the early 22nd Century it would still take at least 2.77 years to get to Pluto.
- To get to Pluto in 6 months we would have to travel 14 times faster then we currently can/do, 819 000 km/h

- Mars, without showing calculations, but using same current speed and closest Mars has ever been to Earth, 40ish days to get there.

Just food for thought on the idea about getting to Pluto nice and quick HAHA. Hope this helps in some way with something Matt! And really hope this didn't screw anything up???
I am the Greatest, You are the Latest, Welcome to the Legends Club

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Space Travel - Calculations

Post by miniwargaming » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:59 pm

It doesn't screw anything up. In fact, you just told me how fast the space craft can travel in the early 22nd century! ;)

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:57 pm

the US navy has developed a railgun - surely you can fire an unmanned spacecraft with that tech? (mach 7/8) now when you put people on there, those 45 G-forces will mess up though :)
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Eunusha
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Eunusha » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:20 am

Some boundaries can't be surpassed with the use of any plausible technology, however. Travel to other planets must take months rather than days, and to another planetary system - decades rather than years.

I think we may speak of three such boundaries - atmospheric, circumterrestrial and circumsolar. The first is set by Earth's gravity and atmosphere (friction). The second is set by the balance of fuel/vessel mass or by power efficiency. The third is set by the time required, as matter cannot meet the light speed, not to mention exceeding it. Thus I think there would be three kinds of vessels needed, each created for corresponding kind of travel. That's why I think the orbital space-ports would be necessary - there is no reason why a ship meant for interplanetary travel should be adapted to atmospheric flights. Think about the necessary bulk of such a thing, of all the protection needed, of aerodynamic issues etc.

But then there are the wormholes, which let the astronauts to "skip" over the third boundary, effectively shortening interstellar distance to interplanetary scale. Therefore I think there would be two kinds of vessels - the ones created for orbital flights (which would take hours) and the ones employed in longer travels (which still would take months). I understand the wormholes to be within the boundaries of the star systems.

And please, desist from any kind of "space battles"! The space ships, as we all know, the ships hang in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't. And that's also how they fly. Place some cannons on the edges of a golf course and try to aim a cannonball so that it followed another - that would make an adequate illustration of how a space battle would really look like.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:27 am

I think that those barriers will be easier to break than you might think, especially in a science fiction world where we deal more with warping space time, worm holes, and now especially with the dark matter highways.

I don't want to make the trip from earth to the other colonies too fast as it would be more interesting for plot lines to have it take time for reinforcements to arrive for a war, or supplies to arrive for trade.