It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Hi Matt,

Is the use of creationist ideas (contra evolution, that is) in the X'lanthos origin story deliberate?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, although to what end, I do not know yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Although I don't mind the heavy use of evolution in their history.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:01 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Whew, that's at least consistent.

I think it's ok to have religious creationism in Scifi, so long as you call it what it is, and thus remove the appearance of head-ache inducing incongruence (risking the impression that the incongruence is an error).

It goes without saying that it's about as anti-evolution for the X'lanthene species to evolve on 3 planets at the same time, as it is to have X'lanthos being exactly like humans, able to have kids with humans, etc. Could never ever ever happen in evolution, but could perfectly well happen if God Did It.

I don't see any advantage in the X'lanthos narrative to starting up on 3 planets rather than 1, to be honest, it seems to be a totally superfluous detail with a lot of deadweight. But can we just have a confirmation that the X'lanthos are being continuously "made" by some kind of higher intelligence, so that we get evolutionary consistency out of the way?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

The concept of having the three planets came from when I created them in high school.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why I did it. At this point I won't say that we won't use it as they are still so early in their development things will probably look way different in the end anyway.

I do, however, like the idea of them being created, but then I would have to probably make that the fact with all life, which could get rather bogged down with religion in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

there doesn't have to be one rule for everyone.

maybe xlanthos were made
and humans just rose out of the mud.

the universe is a big place,
there's plenty of room for gods and science.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

or we could just say/heavily hint that the x'lanthos KNOW they came from a higher power, and say nothing about this in regards to other races. it would keep it open for multiple directions after seeing what reactions you get from people on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

the could have been seeded by a more ancient race
and have dug up the evidence of those earlier beings,
from whom they are not descended
but who did create them.
perhaps their psychic link was an attempt
by powerful aliens
to make a race that would be good and nice and empathic and not warlike...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I don't see why either has to be implied. Call it magic for all I care, I just wouldn't make it obviously God. It kinda seems like you are trying to turn this game into a religious statement. I mean it's your game you can do what you want, but I wouldn't imply creationism to any extent. All it would do is alienate some customers...

I'm atheist and I would be fine with what ever you end up doing. Even if you mentioned God in every sentience, and the first page of every army book it said a quote from the Bible. Because no matter what it is in real life, in Dark Potential, God is real, lol. But I know a large loud crowd that might not be so noble.

Having said all that I think people are being a little presumptuous in saying that this is a "use of creationism".

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWarhammerFatKids

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:25 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I don't necessary think that's true Hampshire, even if he was the specifically include a passage of "god" did it (which I don't think he will) I'm assuming most of the material will be written from a In universe perspective and under that presumption anything written should be considered suspect.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]