The Past: Part 3

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

The Past: Part 3

Post by AirborneHam » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm

The corridor was dark and it had an eerie feel to it. Despite the urge to check behind every crate or dumpster for fear of the evil that her imagination could create, Anata enjoyed the solitude. The only sounds that perforated the silence were that of her footsteps and her schoolbag brushing against her waist. Occasionally a drop of water from an air hydration unit could be heard, but otherwise the less traveled corners of the orbital were lifeless save Anata.

She continued walking, taking the moments she wasn’t peering around corners to think and enjoy the complexities of her mind and her emotions. She felt distaste for Sven, though she knew he adored her. She also felt jealousy, not only towards Sven but Blake, as well. Being boys they had the opportunities she didn’t and were destined, unless killed or otherwise handicapped, to serve in the Technology Recovery Teams. This she was not jealous of, for most boys dreaded the signing away of their youth. She was, however, jealous of the journeys they made to Earth.

As Anata turned around a corner that would lead towards her residence, she was caught off guard by two teenage boys standing there. She gasped, expecting it to be the danger her mind had invented, but then was relieved to recognize them as two of her brother’s friends. The boys looked at her and one of them grinned, speaking in a voice that had begun to change from adolescence.

“Lookie here. Who’s that wondering through the back alleys after school?” His teeth were decaying with the use of illegal substances and his hair was slicked back in an attempt to make him look “cooler.” “Didn’t your mommy ever tell you not to wander the corridors?” The boy took a step towards Anata and reached a hand into his pocket. “It can be a dangerous venture.”

“Dude, I think that’s Blake’s sis.” The other boy spoke now, his voice much more youthful than his friend’s.

“Really?” The boy with the bad teeth got closer to Anata. “Is that so?” Anata nodded, hoping it would lead to her being left alone. “Then we don’t have to worry about anyone coming to save you, seeing as your brother and daddy are on an Earth bound vessel.” The boy pulled something from his pocket that he flipped open, revealing a sharp blade. Too scared to move, Anata tried to open her mouth to call for help, but she only got out a yelp before his hand clamped her chin, forcing her to stop yelling.

The boy shushed her. “We can’t have you doing that, now can we?” He raised his free hand and placed the knife against her shoulder. She pulled away, but the other boy joined his friend, more confident now, and held her in place. “Let’s see how pretty you are.” The knife began cutting away her dress and, in her struggle, carved at her skin underneath.

Pain. Pain was all that she could feel when she woke. Her right shin was inflamed with agony and the thought of seeing the wound kept Anata’s eyes closed for some time after she regained consciousness. Behind the blinding darkness of her eyelids, she could hear repetitious footsteps slowly pacing. The sound grew nearer and in her state of fear and panic her eyes forced themselves open to reveal the threat that stood before her.

It was a man, tall and thin, wearing leather scraps sewn together into rough clothing. He had on an apron and was holding a long blade, rusted with age. Anata thrashed in an attempt to escape, but was constrained at the wrists, ankles, and waist. She could move no more than four inches in each direction and the man with the blade was coming closer. She glanced at her legs and caught sight of her wound, open and bleeding with the bone protruding from the skin. She gasped then caught herself. The slight noise of her reaction was enough to get the attention of her captor, who turned in her direction.

The features of his face were undeterminable. The light from the corridor behind him blackened his face as though it was just a hole in the brightness. As he approached, Anata noticed a limp in his step. He leaned on his right leg more than his left. When he got within a mere meter of her, he spoke.

“So, Miss Anata Denmore, how are we feeling this evening?” His voice pierced the silence that hung in the room, reverberating from every surface as if the entire world was gone and only her captor and this prison existed besides herself. “I was hoping you would wake up soon.” The silence persisted, forcing its way into the one sided conversation. The man limped closer and placed the blade on a table beside his prisoner. As he turned toward her again, his face caught the light. A scar marked the left side of his face, leaving blisters and burns in place of his former image.

Anata tried to speak for the first time, finding it painful to move the bruised muscles in her jaw. “Where am I?” Her slow speech dragged across the quiet room. It surprised her that this was the question that she first asked. It did not seem like information that could help her, but the uncertainty of not knowing her location was more frightening than the man before her.

“Of that, I am unsure. However, I do know that you will never leave.” The man paced, his gait offbeat from the limp he carried. The uneven steps continued between their speaking. After several sentence without words he turned to Anata, stopping his journey from one side of the small room to the other. “Go ahead, ask another.” The way he said this was very firm, as if he truly desired her to continue quizzing him on the facts of their existence.

“Who are you?” This time her voice was more aggressive and she was shocked by her sternness of speech. When the man heard this he turned away and took several seconds to contemplate how to best answer the question. Anata was about to ask again, thinking that perhaps he had not heard her. Just as she opened her mouth and endured the ache of her muscles, he spoke.

“If it is a name you want, I am unsure of that as well. For the purposes of communicating, you may call me Jarad. If you wish to know who I am as an individual, all I can tell you is that we are not enemies.” Jarad returned to his irregular pacing. “Continue.”

Anata was feeling more inquisitive. She wanted to know more about this Jarad. “Why are you here?”

Jarad seemed pleased, or at least less dismal than earlier. “Ah, I can answer that one.” He turned around as he reached the wall of the cell and paused before resuming his speaking and saunter. “This may take some time to explain, but I will do my best. I was born in a settlement known as New Louis.”
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: The Past: Part 3

Post by AirborneHam » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:06 pm

This one is a bit darker than my usual pieces. The history between Anata and Sven is not as happy as you might think, and so I want to make sure the emotion gets across.
I hope people continue to read these, and I want comments and critiques as usual.
Thanks!
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

willhman
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: The Past: Part 3

Post by willhman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Sounds good bro keep it up!