The Past: Part 1

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

The Past: Part 1

Post by AirborneHam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

“Bang! You’re dead.” Her arms were outstretched, her two index fingers together pointing at her friend. This was their favorite game. “That’s three now. How are you going to be in the recovery force if you can’t even beat a girl?” She enjoyed taunting him. Whenever they were doing things around the orbital he would act pompous and manly. She hated it when he tried to be manly.

“That’s not fair. You said we couldn’t sneak up on each other this time.” He looked like he was about to cry. She really hated it when he cried.

“Never believe your opponents. They will use every tactic at their disposal, regardless of what they claim.” She crouched back down behind the artificial garden she had been hiding behind. As quietly as she could, she snuck around behind him, using benches and barrels as cover. He gasped when she vanished and she could almost feel the pouting look on his face.

“I hate it when you sneak around like that. If we had a fair fight, I would win for sure.” He shouted this loudly, almost trying to convince himself of the fact. She crawled around the outside of the plaza, keeping low and occasionally looking to make sure he was still facing the other direction. The orbital they lived on had a large plaza at the hub of the housing blocks, almost like the axle of a wheel. It was occupied by an assortment of benches and artificial gardens in the center that she could hide amongst and surrounded by stalls and store fronts for residents to spend their allotted credits. This was the safest place for them to play. If you ventured into a housing block other than your own, the wardens would catch you and bring you back home where your parents would give you a stern talking to.

After almost a minute of hiding, she leaped over the bench, silently putting one arm around his neck and the opposite hand to his back, index finger extended to simulate the barrel of her pistol. “Got you,” she whispered in his ear. He gasped and flinched, turning around to look his friend in the eyes.

“C’mon Anata! Why do you always have to sneak around like that? I would win if we had a real fight.” He was whining. She hated it when he whined, too.

“Because, Sven, if you want to join a recovery team when you’re older you have to be able to face anything. Besides,” Anata turned and started walking back to their housing block. “I win when I sneak around.” Sven trotted up behind her. His being two years younger also added to her advantage, but he didn’t need to know that. “It’s getting late. Your mother will probably be looking for you and I should help my mother to make dinner before Blake gets home.”

“Where’s Blake? I bet if he was on my team we could beat you.” Sven was trying to be manly now.
“He’s at school, remember? Now that he’s eight he has to go to school all day long.”

___________________________________________________________________________________

Anata woke up to the sound of gears grinding and whirring far to the north. She quickly got up to gather her meager belongings and uproot from her position, the memory of her childhood fading away as reality took over. She couldn’t afford to falter when every day was a struggle to survive. She needed to focus on the present and forget about the past.

The grinding was a common sound down here. Anata had been hearing it almost every day since she had been on earth. It was the sound of the Salvagers going about their business. Whenever they showed up she had to leave. The Salvagers would stick around for a week, or thereabouts, and when they left there would be no resources left for her to collect. She needed to move. She needed to leave before the robots got there and identified her as hostile. She needed to find safety.

The list of supplies that Anata carried with her was quite short. She, of course, had her rifle. It was just a standard hunting rifle, but it had been with her since she arrived on Earth and had been very reliable. Her pack contained an aluminum bottle filled with water, two days worth of non-perishable food, a case of bullets, a box with aspirin and other medical supplies she had found while scavenging, her ID badge from the orbital, and lastly, a photograph of her brother.

Anata grabbed her rifle and slung it over her shoulder while scanning the room for anything she may have left. The building she had chosen to call home for the past week was overgrown and falling apart, as were all of the buildings Earthside. There was a difference, though, that made Anata choose this location out of the others in the area. The building she was in was less intact than the surrounding architecture, only allowing enough room for two or three people to stand comfortably within. The only entrance was well hidden behind a meter of vegetation and sealed by the door to a safe that she had found nearby. There were no windows or other openings, and the original entrance had caved in long ago.

Grabbing her pack and rolling up her bedroll, Anata began to think about where she would run. She had come from the West, hoping to reach some sort of river or other body of water. From there she could travel the coast to a settlement, assuming the people on Earth were smart and settled near water. She had hoped there wouldn’t be many obstacles, but this was the third city she had come across and she still hadn’t found anything other than a small uninhabited lake.

She knew that continuing to head east would be the best option. If she kept going one direction, eventually she would reach a settlement. Her bedroll was tied to her pack and her rifle was over her shoulder when she heaved the safe door out of the hidden entrance and was forced to squint as her eyes adjusted to the morning light.
Last edited by AirborneHam on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: The Past: Part 1

Post by AirborneHam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm back, with a new character and a new adventure. Still keeping to the Reclaimers and keeping Sven in mind, I look into a new side of him, his past. We follow a childhood friend of his, Anata, as she dares the challenges of life on Earth during her dangerous search across post-apocalyptic Unified States. Searching for what exactly? Find out by reading every installment of The Past.

It only gets better.

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:16 am

Hey AirborneHam! Good to see you back in the depths of the Fanfic desert. And great to see more of your work.

I like it. That's the first that comes to mind. The characters are appealing and I want to see what else you are going to do with Sven and Anata. You have a very visual style of writing that is pleasant to read and follow along.

Now, constructive critisism... Overall, it's all a bit too familiar. The girl smarter than the boy, and her equipment of a rifle and some food. It's all a bit tipical and that makes this piece a bit bland. No real exiting event or surprising turn. I know that is a lot to ask in a short "bite" like this, and perhaps it's simply my preference. In these ongoing stories to be posted bit by bit, I try to end each post with a little cliffhanger or reference to the next post, to keep people interested.

Finally, let's see if I can free up some time now that i'm back from holiday, after dropping the virtual pen for some months. I would like to revive this little corner of the DP forums!
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AirborneHam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 pm

You are alive! I am glad to see you are still with us. I got tied up in work this summer and didn't get around to writing anything. When I noticed how dead the Fanfic section has been, I thought I'd liven it up, then I got tied in work again. Hopefully when the school year starts I will have more free time.

WE SHALL REVIVE THE FAN-FICTION FORUM!

It only gets better.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:40 pm

sounds great! I'm off to the next part!
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

leo86
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by leo86 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am

The next thing you know, a ray burst comes out of the projector and some giant insect-like creature comes and flies away, crashing through the ceiling. The alien winds up back in the projector, thankfully, before he creates much more damage.