The Heights of New York: An Overview

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

The Heights of New York: An Overview

Post by AirborneHam » Mon May 07, 2012 9:38 pm

New York City, the largest metropolis in the world. Not only dominating in size and population, it also called itself the tallest city on Earth. All cities had limitations on expansion in the 22nd century and were forced to build up instead of out, but New York took this to an extreme. Buildings towered upwards of three miles into the air, one in particular standing even taller. At exactly 4.38 miles or 23,126 feet, the structure that held a force that would change the future towered over New York City.

This building belonged to the largest corporation the world had ever seen. It dealt in arms, defense, medication and surgery, transportation, personal computing, nano-technology; the list goes on. Beginning in weapons, they slowly accumulated wealth and purchased any business that they viewed as profitable. They soon controlled the most powerful names in nearly every industry, but this was a humble beginning for a name that is known across the world even after the human race was nearly destroyed by war and plague.

The corporation that controlled nearly every market in the world controlled not only every market in New York City, but New York City itself. The company bought control of the city from the New York State Legislature in the year 2153 for $9.7 trillion American Dollars. This added to its collection of thirteen other cities it controlled across the globe as well as the country of Panama. Controlling the world’s trading and markets made this conglomerate the most influential figure on Earth. After much effort made by the CEO, they were eventually able to purchase one of the interstellar highways found in space, expanding their control further than ever anticipated.

The tower that dominates the heights of New York City was surprisingly left standing during the war, along with much of the skyline. Only a small percentage of the buildings were destroyed or heavily damaged during the fighting on Earth. Many efforts were made to collapse the corporation’s tower, but all failed or were thwarted by the large armed force that guarded it. Only during the last days of the fighting was the tower damaged.

A capsule fell from the sky, watched by the world as the realization of Man’s fate spread like a toxin across the minds of Earth, infecting everyone’s minds with the knowledge of death. When the capsule hit the tower, it tore through the wall of the 1,056th floor, forcing the interior to pressurize which, in turn, caused impressive destruction to the interior of the building. This capsule released the deadly virus that led to the fall of the human race.

The tower still stands but is not the headquarters of the corporation as it is seen today. The tower, along with many of the buildings in The Heights of New York as it is now known, is home to the unruly tribes of marauders and bandits that took over the city during the times of panic and fear that followed the Hundred Years War. The skyline of the city is connected by thousands of bridges between the various buildings and wars are fought between the squabbling gangs that inhabit the towers every day.

The bands of barbarians are not the only residents of The Heights. In the tallest skyscrapers of the city enormous nests can be found, and seen resting within them are the gargantuan eggs of the flying beasts that found refuge in the forest of buildings. These massive winged creatures are believed to have flown in from the Montreal Wilderness, but nothing is known for sure. What is known is that only a small portion of the animals are predatory. Most harmlessly reside in the rooftops, feeding their young with vegetation and scraps found in ancient grocery stores. However, the few that do hunt humans excel at that task.

Of the gangs that live in constant conflict within the towers of the city, the most powerful and influential are the riders. In the seemingly chaotic realm of the bandits, honor is key, and the most honorable act that a man can perform is the harnessing of the great flying beasts. To gain the most respect among not only his own tribe, but all the people of The Heights of New York, one must fly into battle on the back of a monster. Very few who attempt this feat survive, but the ones who do are revered in the city.

My travels brought me to the city, a young man eager to learn the world’s secrets. Upon my arrival I was captured and sent to my death. I know not how I survived that experience, but it is what led me to write of the dangers and wonders of our world. Maybe one day I will tell of how I came to be who I am. Maybe one day I will write of my adventures. Until then, I leave you with this warning:

If you value your life, never venture near The Heights of New York. It is a dangerous place that should not exist, but it does. Evil will always exist. But we have the power to stop it from controlling the world.

-The Librarian
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: The Heights of New York: An Overview

Post by AirborneHam » Mon May 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Not my best work, but I had an idea for a city that the buildings above the ground were inhabited more than the ground itself, and I thought New York fit that scene perfectly. I also came up with my own background for the Coporation, although I did not choose to name it in this piece. I plan to post the paragraphs describing the Corp. in the topic about naming it.
Anyway, please comment and critique as normal and tell me what you think. It really helps motivate me and improves my writing when I get other's opinions. :)
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

Return to “Dark Potential Fan Fiction”