The Montreal Wilderness: A History

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

The Montreal Wilderness: A History

Post by AirborneHam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:09 pm

The city of Montreal, Canada was a bustling metropolis prior to the X’lanthos invasion. By the end of the 21st century, Montreal had become the most populated city on Earth and this influx of people caused the city to expand. But this expansion was not what would be expected from a city in the modern world. Because of restrictions made by the Confederation of Canada, Montreal was forced to build upwards.

The structures loomed above the streets, some towering nearly 5 miles into the air. The one building that remained near ground level was the Biodôme de Montréal, a facility that contained replicas of many different ecosystems found across the planets that humans had colonized. This structure was a small dot on the surface, but underground it was home to thousands of different species from across the galaxy.

The Biodome was an attraction, bringing in millions of tourists from around the planet and some even from across the stars. When the Hundred Years War began, countless citizens from other colonies were stranded on Earth and separated from their families that were being killed at home. As reports came in telling of the atrocities that the X’lanthos had performed, the tourists were horrified. A shelter was established for the stranded colonists in the Biodome in the safest ecosystem it contained: Earth.

When the war reached Earth, the X’lanthos noticed high amounts of life located in the center of Montreal. The Biodome was targeted. The alien race had a way of terraforming that involved morphing the existing wildlife to their advantage, even controlling it with their telepathy. They could manipulate the animals of foreign planets to excel at specific tasks, in this case, killing.

On the first day of raids on the surface, a large vessel containing nearly one hundred X’lanthos warriors landed on the roof of the Biodome. The original stranded individuals as well as additional refugees from the war were situated in the surface chamber that simulated many Earth environments. They heard the ship land and many retreated to the lower chambers. One man stayed to see what was taking place. This man’s name was Joseph Meyers.

Meyers was not alive when the war started. He had been born during the eightieth year on the planet Demeter, the closest to Earth. On his eleventh birthday Meyers was shipped to Earth by his parents so that he could live. He joined the other refugees in the Biodôme de Montréal and quickly became renown throughout the group as a hard worker and leader. He spent much of his time organizing charity events to support the shelter and would personally greet the newcomers that had come to escape the War.

When the war reached Earth, Meyers had planned an emergency bunker to be built deeper into the wilderness of the Biodome. He planned for extra food and supplies so that they could support themselves. He even personally helped the children and elderly travel down to the bunker and then armed several men and himself to protect his people.

When the X’lanthos landed on the roof of the Biodome, Meyers was the only man who didn’t run in fear. He heard a whirring and grinding sound as a hole was quickly cut in the ceiling. Instead of the alien enemies he had expected, a large purple pillar was dropped through the hole. It warped before his eyes, forcing him to squint. This was not a solid object but a constantly moving force retaining the shape of a pillar. The sides seemed to be held in place by an invisible energy and the solution contained in this shape appeared to churning at all times, never appearing the same way twice. Meyers heard the ship resuming flight and bullets ricocheting off of its metallic hull. He was safe for now.

The strange object baffled Meyers but he maintained his position for several hours before examining it as he didn’t want to be caught off guard. When he approached, he noticed that it looked to be growing into the ground around it. The color had spread into the plants nearby and the animals in that section of the dome seemed to be attracted to the pillar.

He called to his men and the few that had actually stayed above ground but in hiding came running. He told them to go and see if everything was okay in the bunker and to report to him immediately. When the men left, Meyers examined the foreign entity further and realized that the animals around him were touching it in any way they could.

Birds perched on top of it, monkeys climbed the side, rodents and other mammals rubbed against it like a cat would someone’s leg. The pillar had a warm friendly feeling to it. It seemed safe, almost comforting. Meyers approached it and put his hand to it, his body warming with power as he felt the alien structure. The sensation coursed through him and he jumped away from the pillar.

The men returned, reporting that the pillar seemed to have grown down to the bottom floor but everyone was unharmed. Meyer went back to the people under his protection and began preparations to defend against the X’lanthos.

The War continued on Earth, resulting in communication loss for the community in the Biodome. The pillar remained but no attempts were made by the X’lanthos to retrieve it. It wasn’t until three weeks after it first arrived that anyone noticed the changes in the wildlife. Squirrels in the forest habitat were hunting in packs, taking down the deer through sheer numbers. Turtles’ shells grew abnormally thick, so that not even a bullet could pass through to harm the animal. In the ecosystems of the more dangerous animals, walls were being torn down and screams of the ferocious beasts could be heard throughout the facility. Meyers would not let his people enter those sectors.

Only seven deaths occurred in the group during the three years of warring on Earth, and only one was due to X’lanthos. The creatures that were created out of the once familiar wildlife were the bigger threat. Gorillas became beasts that could tear down forests, jaguars gained a near invisible state, cheetahs could run fast enough to become a sheer blur, and the grotesque creatures from other worlds became monstrosities beyond description. These changes came gradually, but they became apparent far too soon.

Changes also appeared in Meyers. They were ever so slight and did not attract attention, but he too became a foreign creation. His hearing and sight were much sharper and his natural stamina increased to an inhuman level. He could jump nearly twenty feet and land without injury, he was no longer himself.

Most importantly, however, was his natural ability to control other people. He was always charismatic, but now not a single man, woman or child would disobey him. He was in command of nearly two hundred people in desperate need of his help, and they would bend to his every will. Oddly enough, Meyers did not abuse this ability. He discovered it over many weeks and decided he would only use it to protect those under his protection.

Through the years of war, many refugees came to the Biodome seeking shelter and, upon meeting Meyers, agreed to do whatever was needed to support the society. When the virus was sent to Earth, Meyers was one of the lucky ones. He and twelve others survived the infection, every other person he was obligated to protect had died the painful alien death. Almost all of the animals in the Biodome escaped, becoming the dominant creatures on the Island of Montreal.

Every day was a challenge to survive. The wildlife had reclaimed Montreal, taking back what it controlled before the arrival of Man. Meyers had many weapons left from during the War, and he went on many expeditions into the wilderness to find more. Several survivors found safety in what they began referring to as Meyer’s Sanctuary. He was looked upon to protect these people, and he used his natural abilities to best utilize his resources.

During his seventy six year lifetime, his Sanctuary amassed a population of nearly a thousand survivors seeking shelter. Attacks made by the aggressive wildlife and other natural causes only amounted to two hundred deaths. His legacy lived on through his son, Gregory, and the descendants of his family through generations.

Meyer’s Sanctuary is a safe haven in the horrific world of The Montreal Wilderness. The vegetation has grown out of control and reclaimed the entire city, climbing up the towers that dominated the island, creating enormous green pillars that can be seen from miles away. Birds and other horrific creatures that control the skies nest in these structures and their calls and cries can be heard in every corner of the island. Advanced forms of every creature that was held in the Biodome inhabit the city, some hunting in packs and others becoming individual terrors.

Very few people dare brave the mysteries of The Montreal Wilderness, but those who seek fame or fortune it contains always rely on the Sanctuary for protection. I, myself, have set foot in the sanctuary, and found the people there very accepting and comforting to all the strangers that visit. When I left, I promised that I would tell the world of their devotion to protecting humanity, and was obligated to write this volume in their name.

So again I sign off, leaving my mark by writing the words on this page. Many wonders exist in the world we live in, both dangerous and beautiful, and I dedicate my life to keeping the records that must be kept. I wish all who read this the best of luck and pray that one day we will all find peace.

-The Librarian
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: The Montreal Wilderness: A History

Post by AirborneHam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:15 pm

I finally finished. This was just an idea that I've been working on for a while now, not sure what people are going to think, but I'm glad it's done.
The idea of having a very loose faction base for the game appealed to me, so I think that having a Corpoartion army could mean that you play as Roy-Batty's New Quebec or as Meyer's Sanctuary, or any number of different groups out there.
Just laying out my ideas in story, that's all. Please comment and critique as always, and come back for more in the near future.

It only gets better.

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 am

I like the basic idea, that the Corporation has highly distinct "colonies" like Meyers dome, each extremely individuated and distinctive in culture - and many of them taking great advantage of the new state of Terran nature.

What is the fresh twin of grimdark? Lush conquest.

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 am

I really like the idea of different individuals that live in this post apocalyptic world. I could even imagine the game based on these figures, and you can build your armies around them. Meyers as a Biomass creature, that can take Animal faction troops into battle, or Scofield that can take slaves of every faction. Would make every army of every player unique.

As far as the story goes, love it. Inspiring and easy to read as always. It's amazing to see what you come up with, only receiving a minor guideline from perhaps a page of Matt's notes. It doesn't even matter if things match up with what is in my head, or anyone else. It's a joy every time to read original stories here, and I can only ask for more.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by AirborneHam » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked it. It's good to get feedback on this forum so my writing can improve overall and my stories, not only here but the others I write in my own world can improve as well.
One question, just out of curiosity and for help on my next piece, does anyone know which Developer's Diary had the information on Haussman and the Haussman gene? It would help to re-watch it to remember some of the details.
Thanks, again for reading and commenting. I hope to write more myself and see more stories popping up on the forum from everyone else.

It only gets better.

wasaw47
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by wasaw47 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm

great story and fun to read, especially because im from Montreal :P
the only thing is that even in a world where we get attacked by aliens and control potential energy, i find it doesn't feel very realistic. i would imagine meyers to instead become a psycho maniac like the animals and kill everyone, even though that wouldnt work very well with your story xD
cant wait for your next one about haussman, although i cant help you with which DPDD matt talks about the haussman gene. but i know he talks a bit about it in one of his most recent ones where he is with dave.

Ravenss
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Ravenss » Wed May 30, 2012 9:38 am

Again, a great story by you :D
Ive no criticizem for you this time, only congratulations to another intricate and easy to read story :D!!!
Love it.