"The blue", A Dark Potential fanfic

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

"The blue", A Dark Potential fanfic

Post by rraz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:41 am

*Author's note*- So I intend to start myself a little series here. It takes place just before the start of the hundreds year war and a little ways into it. It connects a little with my other story, "Rain". The only real 'goal' I have is to add a human element to this universe, to properly show the horror of the outbreak of a war on a scale that humanity could never have dreamt of, but mostly just to tell the story of average people who live average lives, and to show just exactly what we lost in the hundred years war.

-Part I-
Caterpillar
“Do you know why when you call somebody, you ‘dial’ them? Like, why putting someone’s number into a phone is called dialing them?”
Mattis blinked. Wes continued.
“It’s because telephones way back when had a dial. That was how you phoned somebody. When phones switched over to a number pad they just kept calling it dialing. They still do, even when we don’t use those anymore.”
“Fascinating.” Mattis took a sip of coffee. His emerald green eyes swept over the street outside the café lazily. Wes kept talking, but Mattis drowned it out. He was watching the moths trace little circles around each other under the streetlight. He didn’t know how Wes could possibly have not noticed that he wasn’t listening, but he was glad he didn’t.
The moths had blue wings. They weren’t native to the planet; they were brought here in the cargo bays of ships from Earth. Over the last fifty years they had turned blue and nobody really knew why. They just did. Maybe it was something in the air or in the water or in the food they ate. Maybe it was something in the light of the streetlamps they traced their pirouettes under like ballerinas draped in rich blue.
“So my point is that language changes because the things they refer to change. Words mean different things because-“
“Pepper moths.” Mattis interrupted. Wes cocked an eyebrow. Mattis tapped his coffee cup on the window in the direction of the moths. “They used to be white with black spots, like pepper. Then they turned black when they adapted to tree trunks turning black from coal soot, y’know, so they could hide from birds. Now the ones here on Nyx are blue, but we still call them pepper moths.” Wes was silent for a moment.
“So you were listening?” Mattis smiled.
“Almost, guess the caffeine is kicking in. Hey, when are Shelly and Eve going to get here?”
“Any minute now probably. Last message I got from Eve said they were on their way.” Wes tapped his finger on the table. The café was dead at two in the morning, just like the streets outside. Nyx was a small colony. The one waiter there sat at the counter reading a book. “Well, im getting more coffee” Wes said finally. He got up and sauntered to the coffee pot.
Mattis took another sip of his coffee. His eyes moved back to the moths, pretty enough to be butterflies. There weren’t any butterflies on Nyx, no flowers for them to drink nectar from. Most of the people who lived here had never seen a real flower, but Mattis had. He had grown up on Mars. A planet without flowers, he thought, isn’t that just the most tragic thing you’ve ever heard of?
Outside in the café’s parking lot, a white sedan crawled up the entrance ramp. Mattis swiped his hand over the payment pad on the table. The pad detected the chip in his palm, deducted the cost of the coffee from his account and flashed green. He stood up and put four francs down for a tip and headed towards the door. He waved to the waiter, who was too absorbed in his book to notice, or maybe too tired, and signaled Wes who took a big slurp of his fresh cup of coffee and set it down on the counter.

The weather was too great. They drove through the night with the windows open, each of them saying aloud at some point how they wished they were in Daniel’s convertible. The moon was out and it was a particularly bright night. They might not have even needed the headlights but Shelly drove with them on anyways because she got a ticket last month and didn’t need another one. Evangeline talked for most of the drive.
“So I might not actually pass the exam in Physics four. God it’s so stupid… I want to be a writer. Why the hell do I care about potential energy?” She paused. “I mean, it’s not like they should actually expect this backwater to be pumping out physicists. The only things close to scientists here are those guys up near Tulsa studying those ruins, and they’re from-where was it again? Reykjavik?” Wes laughed from the backseat.
“You’re learning potential energy manipulation because it’s part of a standard four year curriculum Eva, nobody expects you to be physicist. I, for one, think it’s fascinating stuff, but hey, bask in your ignorance if you want.” Shelly cut in, her eyes dashing from the road to Eva’s face periodically.
“Hey, if literature was a degree I’d go for it. All that school has is a creative writing elective…it’s torture.” Eva shot back, speaking quickly. Eva spoke quickly when she got flustered, which she did at the slightest provocation. Shelly didn’t say anything back and the car was uncomfortably quite for a couple seconds. Mattis just stared out the window. The coffee hadn’t done much to wake him up after all. He watched the verdant forests of the island flash by in a long dark smear. Up above the massive green moon looked down on them from the obsidian sky like a huge unblinking eye. Mattis took a deep breath of the sweet air and stared up at it, feeling the hands of sleep tugging him downwards.
Then Eva screamed.

rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: "The blue", A Dark Potential fanfic

Post by rraz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Cravenwood was the type of town you might see on the cover of a travel guide. It’s cottages and church spire were nestled in-between the rolling hills of an English countryside dotted with sheep and shrubbery. It was almost unbearably stereotypical, and Adis quickly learned that both the sheep and the shrubs were all clones, and were both tended to like plants.
His black rain boots crunched over gravel in the Cravenwood cemetery, about a mile out of town. Squat headstones and mausoleums covered in white blotches of lichen surrounded him, each one silent and brooding. Each headstone was probably a thousand years old. A lot of the people in Cravenwood could trace their ancestry all the way back to the Roman Empire. All of them had traditional English names, and would be buried with certainty in this cemetery where, a thousand years from now, somebody would gaze at their lichen-covered headstones on a rainy day.
“Well hello son!” Adis turned towards the voice. A man in his late fifties stood smiling at him from under a grey umbrella. Adis sighed.
“Dad what are you doing out here? It’s raining. You’ll get pneumonia.”
“Ah that’s a good chap, worrying about your father. You know how I love my walks though. It’s why I moved out here in the first place! London was too damn crowded to for this kind of thing. Just smell the air out here, so clean!”
“And cold. AND wet. I’m serious about going inside.” Adis chided. His father’s brow lowered.
“Ah fine. You know, your brother always did this too. Worried about me too much. I fought a damn war! And here I am getting scolded like a child playing in the rain.” He took on a look of consideration. “No no no, I shouldn’t be doing this. You’re sweet to be looking out for me. I’m sorry. I’m getting old, cranky. Still think I’m up for this kind of thing.” Little puffs of white escaped his mouth as he talked. He started back to his cottage and Adis followed.
When they got there they went through a ritual of folding and shaking umbrellas, taking off coats, and unraveling scarves. Adis poked the embers in the fireplace and threw a new log in, tending to it carefully to ensure it caught. His father was talking to him from the kitchen in a voice that wasn’t quite a yell.
“So how are you doing over on Nyx?” He asked with sincerity that only a parent could have.
“Pretty well. It’s summer there now. I kept telling you to move there. Even the winters are warm. The water is perfect all year round.”
“I doubt I would survive the trip there. A month in space? Not really something that I think I could handle. It does sound lovely though, I’m sure.”
The fireplace crackled with life and Adis sat down on one of the chairs in front of it. His father came in with two mugs of tea, each with the Institute logo on them. Adis took a mug and gazed at the logo as his father sat down in the other chair.
“It’s a shame you never got to see the ruins on Nyx. They were so big, magical.”
“Well it’s a shame those damn corporations never took an interest in our work!” He replied bitterly.
“They did take an interest dad, for years. They only stopped funding us when we couldn’t figure out how the ruins work.”
“That’s my point. So impatient! If they had just given us more time I’m sure we could have figured it out.”
“Well they had already spent billions on us. I think they were concerned that any possible technological advancement that came out of the ruins wouldn’t cover their costs.” Adis slurped his tea. Both of them silently stared into the fire for a little while. Outside there was a gust of wind and the chimney whistled. The fire jumped a little, and then settled down.
“You know, Adis, I really am proud you continued our work. Once we lost our funding you could have gone off to work at something that would really make you money, or maybe gone back to the university. You didn’t though, and I have more respect for that decision than I can tell you.”
“Dad…”
“No, don’t.” A hand settled on Adis’ shoulder. “You deserve to make it big. I hope that when you finally crack those ruins and become a trillionaire from what you find it wipes the smug grins right of those corporate fat-cat’s faces.”
Adis looked at his father and smiled. He couldn’t help but smile.
“You know,” His father continued “I remember when we took you to Arizona as a little kid. We were out in the bloody desert with Robin and you’re mother. You remember that?” Adis nodded.
“You found that Apache arrow head in the dirt, and you just got so excited. You thought you were going to be famous!” Adis’ father laughed a dry little laugh that made Adis’ smile get bigger until he was laughing too.
“I remember that was when I knew you were cut out for this stuff. You had the Matthew blood running thick in your veins.” He took a big gulp of tea and shook his head. “I just know you’re going to make it big Adis. It’s you’re destiny, it’s our families destiny.”

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 am

Great, very direct style of writing. Thanks for this, it really helps to form an image of what the world could look like. And very well written
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by AirborneHam » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Your writing is really good. It's great to have another writer contributing. It makes me want to stop doing schoolwork and try to work more on my writing.
You have a wonderful writing style, really emphasizing the human emotions of the story. Really wonderful.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:12 am

Beautiful.

Could almost be anywhere.

rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rraz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Carson rolled out of bed in total darkness. The fact that he hit the floor along with the sound of the air conditioning let him know that both gravity and life support were still online. The darkness however meant that a circuit had shorted somewhere. Piece of crap ship, Carson thought to himself.
“Veera, do you think you could turn the emergency lights on please? And have your brother make me a cup of coffee.” A robotic female voice answered in the affirmative.
“Would you like him to make it with vodka? It seems like it’s that kind morning Sir.”
“No thanks, I’m still drunk from last night-er this morning.” Blue strips of light flashed on around the walls of the room. Carson grunted and stood up and scratched his head through a tangle of brown hair. His pants lay on the ground with the legs twisted over each other like dueling snakes. He grabbed them and struggled into them in the dim light, then left his quarters and made his way down the short hall into the mess where a cup of steaming coffee was waiting for him.
“Thanks Vaun.”
“Not a problem Sir. Would you like some eggs?”
“If I ate anything I would probably throw it up. Get me some scrubbers, I need to get this alcohol out of my blood.” Carson tilted his cup back under the nozzle from which the coffee came and a trickle of grey dropped into it. He took a gulp of the coffee and left it on the counter, heading towards the bridge.
The ship was very small. It was about seventy meters long with a cargo bay taking up much of the interior. That left very little room left for his quarters, a mess hall, and the bridge, all economically designed around a single connecting “hall”, in the center of which was a short flight of stairs that led into the cargo bay and a small engineering room. This model of the Yatsunada Zephyr was over eighty years old, and it was showing it. Carson didn’t have enough money to fix more than a couple parts on it at a time, and more than a couple parts on it broke frequently enough that he was constantly penniless with a broken ship. The wiring in the laundry system alone violated four sections of international structural code for interstellar vessels. Carson, fortunately, only had four shirts and a pair of pants.
The bridge lit up as he walked in. It was connected to the ship’s generator separately from the other subsystems as a precaution. A life-sized hologram of Veera flashed into existence in the center of the bridge.
“Status?” Carson muttered.
“We are approximately four hours from Nyx Sir. Weather in our area of landing is partly cloudy with light showers expected in the afternoon. Time upon arrival will be twelve hundred hours local standard. They have a twenty six hour day. Temperature will be-“
“Ok ok, I get it. Shut up. Jeez, you talk more than your brother.” He referred to Vaun and Veera as brother and sister because they were both pirated copies of the same Haussmann. Aside from the obvious semantics they were the same Gene. Veera minded the ship’s main systems while Vaun did the housekeeping. Carson dressed Vaun in a French maid outfit and found endless amusement in this choice of clothing. “Think you could show me the planet?”
The window at the front of the bridge untinted and an orb the size of an orange sat dead in the center of it.
“Magnify it.” Carson requested.
The orb jumped forwards filling the width of the window. Around it’s equator was the beige-ish brown of a desert. The majority of both hemispheres where taken up by long islands of verdant green sticking up in patches out of a sapphire blue ocean with the occasional small continent. A crescent of darkness enveloped the right side of the planet, in it the few scattered lights of population centers burned steadily. Only one pole was facing the ship, the other was hidden over the curvature of the planet. A readout on one of the bridge’s many displays said that it was mostly swampland with a small cap of ice in its centre.
“Looks nice.” Carson muttered. “Once we deliver this shipment I think we might have to stay for a little while, do a little swimming.” Veera stared at him with unblinking eyes. “Hey, what exactly is the purpose of this colony?”
“Nyx was originally intended as a agriculture planet for growing sugarcane and coffee, as well as several crops native to the planet.” Veera’s animation stuttered for a second. Carson glanced at the projector. “Those industries collapsed about twenty years ago, the people here now mostly stay because they have nowhere else to go.”
“So why is the Institute here?”
“They are studying ruins that are of particular interest to them for some reason. There is very little information on that subject in their archives. The equipment you are bringing them seems to be of particular importance however.”
“Yes, the fact that they hired me rather than a, well, lets say a reputed freight service is interesting. I have been turning it over in my head for most of the trip.” The nano scrubbers in Carson’s system were getting rid of the alcohol. He was starting to feel much better. He swung himself into the captain’s seat and brought up an interface with the Nyx port authority. He made sure that the landing clearance he had was still good, then went through the pre-landing ship diagnostic.
Veera voiced a question. “Sir, do you suspect that the equipment we are carrying is of illegal nature?”
“Maybe. The other possibility is that they didn’t have money for a certified service. Organizations like the IIIA are usually strapped for cash, and I believe that it actually lost most of it’s funding a few years back, around the same time that it turned out trying to figure out those ruins is like trying to juice a rock.”
Two errors came up in the diagnostic. One was the landing gear, which had been listed as faulty for years but Carson could never find anything wrong with it. He ignored it. The other alert was strange.

LANDING TRAJECTORY OBSTRUCTED

“What the-“ Carson asked aloud. He ran the diagnostic again but the alert still showed. He looked out the bridge’s window. “Veera, return magnification to one hundred percent.” The planet returned to its actual size. There wasn’t any visible object in front of them; meaning that whatever could be obstructing them would have to be very far in front of the ship. The odds seemed unlikely that something would be in their exact path of travel, next to impossible in fact, especially near a small colony with little debris in orbit. Carson turned on the long-range radar and did a quick scan. Nothing. For a second he wanted to write it off as another glitch but something didn’t feel right. He ran another diagnostic and the alert still showed. He ran one more and it disappeared.
“Hmmm.” Veera recognized his quizzical attitude and offered help.
“Sir, if it is any consolation, our range finder detected an obstruction eight thousand kilometers away for an sixth of a second.”
Eight thousand kilometers? That was a stones throw away. Nothing on visual, nothing on radar. The rangefinder was a crude system to have detected such an obstruction. Carson found it very strange, and yet the obstruction was now gone.
“Thank you Veera. That’s all I needed to know.”
“Are you certain? I detect puzzlement in your voice.”
“I’m sure Veera, thank you.”
Must have been a glitch after all.

rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rraz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:25 am

Shelly hit the brakes hard, and the car swerved a little bit as the tires screamed against the pavement. In front of them was a woman missing an arm. Eva was screaming, a few exasperated words escaping her mouth in between her hysterics. Beside him, Mattis could hear Wes begin to swear in shock. Before he could fully make sense of what he was seeing Shelly was out of the car running towards the woman. Mattis undid his seatbelt and ran after her.

“Ma’am? Ma’am! I need you to lie down Ma’ am. Ma’ am are you ok? Mattis she’s in shock-oh my god look at her side-Mattis get the first aid kit from my glove box! Hurry the hell up! Oh my god-oh my god Mattis. Lay down-please ma’ am I need you to sit down! MATTIS!”

Mattis ran back to the two of them with the first aid kit. Eva and Wes ran up behind him and hovered nearby, frightened and concerned, but weary of getting too close and crowding Shelly while she worked. Mattis got his first good look at the woman as he handed Shelly the kit. She was short, clothed in half a pair of coveralls. The left half her clothing, along with all of the skin on her left half, and the majority of her left arm, was missing. Her arm seemed to wither away just below the shoulder, skin almost neatly cut away, strips of muscle one by one terminating to reveal a bone that ended neatly as well. Mattis could see the muscles in her leg flexing and relaxing as she stumbled wearily around in a circle while Shelly pleaded with her to sit down.

In one instant, the woman turned towards Mattis. Her vibrant green eyes sobered, then softened. Her mouth opened up for a second, her brow dropped and her forehead wrinkled as if she was thinking of something to say. Then as if someone let go of the string that was holding her up, she crumpled and fell to the pavement.

A couple of officers milled about as the EMT unit loaded the woman onto their airship. Mattis and Shelly answered questions while Wes comforted Eva by the car. The head EMT was dumbfounded.

“It looks like she was…disassembled. The flesh on her left side looked to be almost surgically removed… We won’t know for sure what happened to her until we examine her back at the clinic but…” He bit his lip; his face was thick with concern.
“Looks ritualistic to me. Like something a serial killer would do.” The Sheriff chimed in, arms crossed, gazing at the ground. “Woman all cut up like that, still alive. I don’t see what else it could be. What the hell was she doing all the way out here anyways?”
Shelly spoke up “I think she had a Institute logo on her clothes. There’s that research station up near Tulsa. It’s maybe…what… thirty kilometers away?”
The Sheriff considered this. “I suppose…if…well, why would a killer dump her so far away from there if he left on the jumpsuit with the logo? Wouldn’t that defeat the whole purpose of driving her so far away?”
“That’s if she was abducted.” Shelly replied.
“What else could this be? What else would do that to a person? And how the hell would she walk thirty kilometers like that? Do you have any idea how long that would take?”
“We won’t know for sure until we check in with the research station.”
“You mean until we check in with the research station. You kids need to go home.”
Shelly started to protest but Mattis put a hand on her shoulder. “Lets go Shell. It’s been a long night. I want to go home.” Shelly looked at him then sighed and nodded.

The four of them drove home in silence. Shelly dropped Eva and Wes off and they said short goodbyes. When Shelly pulled up to Mattis’ house she turned the car off.
“Matt…do you think I could come in for a little bit? I think…after tonight… I just need to talk to someone for a little bit. Clear my mind before bed.” Mattis was exhausted, but he agreed.

They drank tea in Mattis’ drawing room while his cat stalked the windowsills. They talked about school, sports, gossiped about friends. Shelly barked with laughter as Mattis told her about how Adis got his hair caught in the turnstile for the tram a few months back. The sound of her laughter woke him up, filled him with life. It felt good. After a while there was a lull in the conversation.
“That woman looked at you…before she died.” Mattis finished his tea, nodded. “Why would she do that?”
“Fear? I don’t know. She didn’t look scared. She looked like she wanted to tell me something. Like she had just woken up, come out of a trance or something. It was like she had been dreaming, and more than anything in the world needed to tell me what she had been dreaming about.” Mattis stared at Shelly.
“Well…that’s certainly poetic. I guess I’m not the one who she looked at though…you know maybe you should be the writer.”
“Have you read any of Eva’s work?”
“No. Why?”
“Its bloody horrible.”
They both burst into laughter until their sides ached and it hurt to smile. The cat stared at them from the windowsill, pondering their mirth with machine like withdrawal. It’s emerald eyes flashed at Mattis like…
“Oh hell, is it really six? I have class in two hours!” Shelly got up and headed to the door. She hugged Mattis in the entryway and said goodbye. Mattis closed the door behind her and turned to face his empty house, silent in the early morning twilight. The cat apparated out of the darkness and rubbed itself against his legs, meowing up at him. He leaned down and picked it up.
“Come on cat” He said “lets go to bed.”
Last edited by rraz on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:38 am

The dream lives! Realistic, grounded characters.

Even if it takes a while for the game to get started, you stay loyal to the world building, that's awesome.
Last edited by trooogdooor on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rraz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 am

The Lebanon Shore jerked and shook as it hit the upper atmosphere of Nyx. It’s hull popped and groaned as Carson bit into a hard-boiled egg.
“Beginning final descent” Veera reported “Tower has cleared us for landing on pad B-16.”
Carson popped the rest of the egg into his mouth, wiped his face with the back of his hand, and began buckling his safety harness. “That’s great Veera, hey how are our rear flaps doing? They still sticky?”
“The hydraulics are showing maintenance warnings on control surfaces R-3 and R-7. They are still behaving within norms however.”
Carson sighed. At least that didn’t need fixing right this instant. “All right Veera, call up our client and tell them to get over to the space port for our delivery. I want to get this stuff off my ship, get paid and go wreck a beach for a couple days.”
“I have already sent them a couple messages. They have yet to respond.”
Carson licked yolk from his teeth. “Well that is exactly what I didn’t want to hear right now.”
“I apologize for your disappointment captain. Estimated time until landing ten minutes.”

Carson touched down without incident. The Lebanon Shore taxied to a hanger on the edge of the field. He disembarked and wandered around his ship for a half an hour, stretching his legs and waiting. He made an inquiry at the port authority about the pickup where an official shook his head and told him nobody had shown up for the delivery. He waited for almost an hour then walked to a duty free bar and started drinking. He thought about money, about how he didn’t have any, about how he had dreamed of going to space, exploring the universe. And now he was here. Living paycheck to paycheck with his next paycheck not returning his calls. Well, at least this planet had a beach.

He drank for an hour then headed back to his ship to find two men in uniforms waiting for him. They turned towards him as he approached.
“Are you Carson Kasyhap?” One of them asked.
“Um, yeah. Yeah I am. What’s going on?”
“I’m Sheriff Ahmad Zareed, this is Sheriff Dexter Ambrose. I’m sorry to tell you this, but we are seizing your cargo for an investigation.” Carson stood stunned for a second.
“Wha- what kind of investigation?” The Sheriffs looked at each other.
“That’s kind of a difficult question to answer.” Dexter replied, after a moment.
“We would like to ask you some questions. When are you free to do so?”
Carson stared at him, then burst into laughter. The two Sheriffs looked at each other in puzzlement. Carson caught his breath and leaned against the hull of the Lebanon. “Brother, I’ve got all the time in the world. All the time in the world.”

The verdant green forests of Nyx flashed by the police airship’s windows in a long green smear, breaking every once in a while to show a glimpse of the sparkling blue ocean. Carson stared out the window, chatting with the cops.
“Hell of a planet you guys got out here. Can’t believe I never heard of it.”
“Yeah, My family moved out here about forty years back. My Dad was a doctor; the medical bureau sent him out. I was actually born here. I’m a native Nyxite.” Ahmad looked back and smiled.
“Kinda reminds me of Florida. I’m from Miami. Does it rain here in the afternoons?”
“Haha yeah! Like you wouldn’t believe.”
Carson nodded and leaned back in his seat. “So what’s all this hullabaloo over this cargo?”
Ahmad’s smile froze on his face, and then faded. “Well that’s kind of a tricky thing to explain. I’m still trying to wrap my head around it myself.”
“You know how horrible an answer that is, right man?”
Ahmad sighed. “Yeah, I do. Sorry. You’re just going to have to wait to see.”
“See? There’s something to see?”
“Unfortunately.”

The ship touched down at a squat concrete building that looked like a bunker on the outskirts of a small settlement. The three disembarked and about two minutes later where inside an office nestled deep inside the structure. Ahmad took his cap off and threw it on the desk, then produced a folio and a recorder from the desk’s drawer. He sat down with a deep exhalation and began sifting through the folio. Carson sat down across the desk from him and eyed the recorder.
“That’s a bit archaic, isn’t it?”
“These things actually record on tape. It’s hard to tamper with, nobody uses it anymore.” He clicked on the recorder. “Alright, this is Sheriff Ahmad Zareed. It is seventeen hundred hours on may twenty third. Will you please state your name for the record?”
“Uh, yeah I’m Carson Kashyap.”
“Alright then, so first question. Where you aware of the nature of your cargo shipment to the Icelandic Institute of Interstellar Archaeology’s research station here on Nyx?”
“Umm, no. I don’t require knowledge of my cargo, uh, other than whether or not it’s dangerous.”
Ahmad eyed him for a moment then continued. “Alright, do you know any of the following individuals: May Quan, Ellis Arthurs, Juhar Ranjay, Torfi Finnsson, Jon Phillipsson…” Ahmad rattled off another thirty names.
“Uuh, no not really. But that Torfi guy sounded familiar. I think he was listed somewhere in the contract. Or maybe the contract was in his name. Something like that, but no I’ve never seen or spoken with any of them.”
“Ok then. I’m going to show you a picture. I apologize for it’s graphic nature but I need you to tell me if you are at all familiar with the wounds shown, and if you know at all what could cause wounds such as that. Ok?”
“Alright sure”
Ahmad pulled a photograph from the folio and laid it on the table in front of Carson. The picture was of a man, maybe in his late thirties, with the bottom half of his face missing. His jaw was gone entirely, his tongue hung limply from the dark hole of his throat. His upper lip was gone as well, strips of muscle hung like ribbons from below the neatly cut skin of his lower face. His eyes stared at the camera, wide and panicked. He was still alive.
“Oh my…” Carson muttered, bringing his hand up to his mouth.
“Mister Kashyap do you know the nature of these injuries?”
“What do… no… I have never seen anything like this in my life. Who is this?”
Ahmad switched the recorder off and sighed. “That’s Ellis Arthurs. He is the last surviving member of the research station you where delivering your cargo to.”
“What happened to him?”
“Well that’s what were trying to figure out.”
“Is he still alive? He looked…ok in the picture. There wasn’t any bleeding…or…”
“Yeah he’s alive. He is in a medically induced coma for precaution. Everyone else at the camp suffered wounds of a similar nature and they all died. They’re going to do some genetic therapy and re-grow his jaw.”
“So what exactly happened and why am I being questioned?”
“Well early yesterday everybody at that camp died. All of them had those wounds. They where missing all sorts of different body parts, legs, arms, the odd head. Some of them wandered around for hours on end, died later.” Ahmad shook his head and put the photographs back in the drawer, closing it hard. “And we have no idea how they got that way. Were at a loss. Grasping at straws. You’re in questioning because we don’t know who else to ask. Sorry for dragging you over here for no reason like this. We can’t question anyone outside this station. Protocol.”
Carson stared at Ahmad for a moment. The image of the jawless man was burned into his vision. He shook his head and wished he was still drunk.
“You’re free to go by the way.”
“Yeah…thanks. Hey do you know any place I can stay for cheap? I’m kind of strapped for cash…I really needed that contract’s payout but…” He shook his head again. “I need an actual bed to stay in tonight. Tired of my cabin.”
Ahmad pursed his lips and nodded. “Yeah I know the owner of a little hotel here in town. Rates are good, i'll tell her about your dilemma, get you some free food.”
“Thanks man” Carson smiled and stood up. “That would be grand.”

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 am

The plot thickens...

rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rraz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:21 am

It was mid morning when Adis got the message from Institute. A very exasperated middle management officer called him up asking him where he was.
“I’m on a train to London. Why? What’s the matter?”
“Well Mister Matthew, there… isn’t really an easy way to say this but …everyone at your research camp is- they passed away yesterday. I- I’m sorry.”
Adis felt suddenly as if he was in the center of an explosion. He stared at his suitcase under the seat opposite to him in his cabin, reality sliding away from him in a moment of sheer disbelief and shock.
“No.”
“They where all killed in some sort of…accident. I know this is tough to hear, but regardless the institute wants you in Reykjavik as soon as possible. They want badly for you to answer questions regarding the site you where working in. Once again I’m sorry fo-“
Adis hung up the call and leaned back in his seat and stared blankly at the roof of the cabin. There was almost forty people working at that camp, and he knew every single one of them like a close friend. Alexa, Torfi, Mohammad...he struggled to wrap his mind around the loss. The outside world collapsed inward on him, it’s magnitude and weight and cold indifference crushing him down into ball, until all that existed in the universe was this cabin floating in the void.
Adis couldn’t decide whether or not the rest of the ride went by quickly or slowly. When the train lurched to it’s final stop in King’s Cross Adis collected his belongings and left the train. His feet didn’t feel like they where touching the ground. He glided through crowds of travelers, off the platform and out into the dreary winter day outside, a cold wind tugging at his scarf and clothing like memories of his friends. It dug deep into him whistling through his bones, filling his soul with the cold and damp and stirring his memories, fears, and regrets like autumn leaves.
He stopped in his tracks. The world slid back into focus.

He stood before a beaten apartment door in Brixton. His heart beat like crazy in his chest, and his throat made a sandpapery sound in his head when he swallowed. He brought his hand up to the door and raped the knocker against its bubbly metal flesh. A moment passed, the noise from the street faded away and only the wind remained, wild and whistling and pushing him towards the door, pushing him forward in time to the moment…
The door swung open. A young man in an oversized sweater stood behind the threshold, one arm on the door, the other resting on the frame, blocking the entrance in a lopsided hug. There was a puzzled look on his face for the briefest instant, then recognition.
“…Adis.”
“Hello Ewan.”
“I…I didn’t know you where coming.”
“I didn’t tell you.” Ewan lips parted a little, a million questions, none of them fully formed, bubbling up behind them. Adis looked a little over Ewan’s shoulder.
“Is there anyone with you?”
“I uh…no, no it’s just me.” He blinked “Did…Do you want to come in?”
“Do you mind?”
“No of course not. Do you maybe want some coffee? I’ve got some soup on too.”
Adis felt himself smile. The sensation seemed almost unfamiliar on his face. “That would be lovely.”
Adis stepped inside and shook off his outer clothes.
“What’s with the suitcase?” Ewan asked, heading to the kitchen “Don’t tell me your gonna ask to move in.”
“Oh no, haha, I am actually on my way to Reykjavik. Just passing through, and I figured…”

Ewan poured coffee and ladled thick meaty soup into stoneware dishes. He sat down in the living room with Adis and they ate and talked.
“So you’re going to Iceland.”
Adis swallowed a mouthful of coffee. “Yeah, sometime tonight I guess. I haven’t bought my ticket yet.”
Ewan gave Adis a funny look. “So you are still working for the institute then?”
“Yep. Still on Nyx.”
Ewan furrowed his brow and pursed lips. “Well that’s good I suppose. You’re following your-“
“Destiny?” Adis said harshly. He immediately wished he hadn’t.
“Well I guess that’s one word for it. What I meant was you always had ambition. I guess that’s why you’re out there and all the rest of us are still…” He made a broad gesture to the apartment around them.
“I guess you can blame my parents for that. How is everyone else holding up? I always mean to catch up but. I just… work is a bit of a thing.”
“Well Simon is getting married in the spring.”
“You’re kidding.”
“Nope. Got into a car wreck with some girl a couple years ago. It was pretty bad. They ended up next to each other in the hospital and…” He exaggerated a shrug “now they’re getting married.”
“That’s the most insane thing I’ve heard in my life”
“More insane than those alien ruins you go wandering around?” Ewan took a sip of coffee “That’s hard to believe.”
“Well I guess it’s all relative isn’t it?” He smirked.
“Yeah I guess it is pretty relative.”
There was an uncomfortable silence.

“I’m sorry Ewan.”
“Huh?”
“I’m sorry for what I did. You didn’t deserve that.”
Ewan seemed to unfold himself in his chair, like he had been waiting for this. “What are you doing here Adis? You show up at my door after five years with not a single word and now you want to apologize? Just like that? Why are you going to Iceland?”
Adis shook his head. He could feel his eyes getting hot, tears welling up behind the dark circles on his face.
“They’re all gone Ewy. Every single one of them. I wanted to hold off this trip until we opened up that last chamber. That must be what killed them. Then dad got hurt and I had to come home, had to make sure he was ok.”
“Adis what happened?”
“If I had stayed I would have died with all of them. Almost everyone I know is dead and the worst thing is that I feel like I should have been there to die with them.”
Adis’ voice got high and tight. He buried his face into his hands, his long slender fingers clasping at his head like spider’s legs.
Ewan was next to him in an instant, an arm over his shoulders.
“What happened?”
Adis looked up at him. His face was red, twisted in agony.
“I’m sorry Ewan…” Adis whispered hoarsely
“It’s ok Adis.”
“I’m so sorry.”

rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rraz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:19 pm

The interplanetary headquarters of the Icelandic Institute of Interstellar Archaeology was a series of angular glass buildings like shards of broken crystal fallen from the steel grey sky into the flat Icelandic countryside. The mag-lev cab glided up to the round about entrance to the campus and set down gently. Adis palmed the payment pad and stepped out into the cold. He gazed at a statue in front of the main building, turning its form over in his mind. It was of a man, his body pocked with tool marks from it’s sculpting, emerging from the earth; torso curled backwards, head and arms lifted upwards to the sky. He was so focused on the statue he almost didn’t notice the man emerge from the main building and skip down the paper-white bare concrete steps towards him. He was tall and fair and a bit portly.
“Adis Matthew! I’m so pleased to meet you! It’s quite unfortunate that it has to be under these circumstances, but none the less welcome to Iceland. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Vilhjalmur Fuergesson.” They shook hands “I hope your flight was pleasant?”
“It was short.”
“Quite the piece isn’t it?” He gestured to the sculpture Adis had been gazing at. “Do you understand it?”
Adis nodded. “It is representative of an imperfect human kind, striving skyward into space, and also into the future, but also tied to our home and our past.”
Vilhjalmur smiled “You see him as emerging from the ground then? I’ve always seen him sinking into it. “
“Well you are an academic.” Adis said. He immediately regretted it but Vilhjalmur laughed heartily.
“You think I am buried in my academic view of the world? Those are the stories about me aren’t they? Possibly. But I think I am perhaps being inconsiderate? I am terribly sorry for your loss, I understand you where quite close with-“
Adis waved his words away with his hand. “I am quite tired of thinking about it. I need to concern myself with other things right now, get my mind off it. I think that would be best. You had some questions for me? Are we going to your office?”
“No, no, certainly not. It is why I met you out here. I need some fresh air; the heating in there is quite suffocating. The chill feels good.”
“I agree.”

The shuffled around the circumference of the campus as a light snow began to fall. Vilhjalmur produced two umbrellas, handing one to Adis. They popped them open.
“So what do you think caused the deaths of your colleagues Adis?”
“I don’t know for sure. There was only one room left that we hadn’t opened yet when I left though.”
“Do you think there was something in there? Have you seen the pictures?”
“Yeah. I looked at them on the flight. They where… To answer your question it’s very possible that whatever was in the chamber killed them. We won’t know for certain until I get back to the site to investigate myself.”
“What was the purpose of that installation?”
Adis paused for a moment.
“We aren’t…I mean we weren’t completely sure. At a cursory analysis it seemed similar enough to the others, but some aspects suggested a military application. Perhaps it had been converted towards the end of its functioning lifespan. Just like most of the other’s its power source seemed to have been deliberately removed, preventing us from examining the database on site.” He sighed.
“It’s like whatever left it there didn’t want us learning anything.”
“That might be more likely than you think.”
“You think my team died because of a trap? Some deterrent?”
“It’s something the earlier teams prepared for. Heavily. After a while we got sloppy, figured they where just empty tombs. Your team wasn’t warned enough. This is our fault.”
“I think that-“
“Adis I am stepping down from my position as president.”
Adis stopped walking like he hit a brick wall.
“What?”
“The local authorities on Nyx are at a loss. They have completely ruled out murder from their investigation, of course. Now some people who we have tried to protect these sites from in the past are moving in. This is now a government issue. These sites are now all very dangerous in their eyes.”
“What will they do?”
“That’s hard to say. But bureaucracy moves slowly, and so too will their investigation. We have to get you and a team back to Nyx to get into that chamber before it begins.”
“Are you certain they would close it off to us?”
“Completely. The only reason they left us alone in the past was because we never turned anything too earth shattering up. Now… They are already putting pressure on us. I was contacted last night. That’s why I’m stepping down. I figure the change in leadership might stall them, if only a little. We can make it look much more political than it has to be.” He smiled. “We will show them how stuffy and elitist academics can be.”
“When do I leave?”
“We can have everyone on an express ship tomorrow. You will be home there in just under a week. It’ll be cramped, but we can’t have you in space for a month.”
Adis nodded. He took a deep breath and exhaled, letting his pain escape in a white cloud of vapor.
“You will meet your team tonight. We will be eating dinner in a couple hours.”
“I’m very much looking forwards to that Mister Fuergesson.”
“Just call me Vilhjalmur. I’m not president of this organization anymore. Truth be told I never really liked it that much. Being in the field was always more my kind of thing anyways.”
“My father would agree with you on that.”
“Ah yes, the venerable Eli Matthew. I met him once during a conference back in, uh, it had to be over ten years ago. It was in Baghdad if I recall correctly.”
“You remind me of him a bit.”
“Should I take that as a compliment?”
Adis laughed, “It could be.”
The snow began to fall harder, in big white flakes like chicken feathers.
“We should head inside. The sun will be going down soon. There’s only about five hours of sunlight here during the winter.”
Adis tilted back his umbrella and stared upwards at the clumps of snow falling down on them like flower petals. The howling wind had subsided. The flakes drifted undisturbed in their slow waltz to the ground.
“Are you coming Adis?”
“Yes.”