Total Isolation Cube Report 04 - Savages with Tomohawks

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Total Isolation Cube Report 04 - Savages with Tomohawks

Post by trooogdooor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:43 pm

FROM: Admiralty Science Officer Skarsgaard, Lunar Defence Force, Strategic Intelligence
TO: Admiral Batou Earthborne Teller, Lunar Defence Force, High Command
AD 1798-12-29 ∇ 14:56 Lunar Standard Time (LST)
AD 3714-01-04 ∇ 18:21 Earth Standard Time (EST)

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
TRANSMISSION BEGIN

It would appear that the Prisoner can draw, and quite well at that. What do you think, old friend; does it capture my sensual charisma?

Professor Xin Cheng had already asked his first question to the Prisoner by the time I arrived: he requested a detailed history of X'lanthos civilization. From the beginning. Tall order. The professor says its a "test" of its sincerity... seeing how long the Prisoner will go on before it feels that this single question is too expansive for our so-called agreement. Personally, I think this is just an excuse from Xin Cheng to have this interesting question answered, but the result has been very useful.

So far, until my arrival at the Total Isolation Cube, the spidermonkey has been merrily typing nonstop for over three hours with two of its claws, while the third claw has been illustrating its explanations with soft crayons and charcoal. It shows no apparent difficulty at doing these three things at once... even shifting between drawing styles with each illustration. Like the critter is showing off.

We've barely gone past the X'lanthos stone age... grisly stuff. But full of strategic insight into spidermonkey psychology. Good intelligence for the Lunar war effort.

[Image

The whole story keeps returning to the ancient dark ages, before they conquered the planetary surface, it's like some mythical Atlantis story. How they started off farming isotope-rich lichen combs in their Uranium caves, then domesticated those grub drones to farm the comb lichen for them, and then started making castes of the grub drones for digging, breeding, fighting. The Lanthic name for the grub drones, their first slave species, apparently translates to "Mold People". More charming than "grub drones", I suppose.

So this period went on as far back as history goes, until the big breakthrough when they figured out domestication of other animals, and ventured out onto the surface to hunt for meat. This is apparently a romanticized golden age of some sort... our prisoner keeps referring to this moment in history as the "Rise to Mastery". They had been sentient underground for a long time, but terrified of the much more powerful surface predators, until they just spilled onto the surface, riding with domesticated mounts and drone soldiers, to systematically chain, cage, and subdue every life form their planet could offer. All their former enemies and predators... now suddenly, their playthings.

We all have our historical narratives, I suppose. I prefer ours. But one thing is clear from the narrative - Lanth culture has never had any quaint notions of conserving the environment, or respect for animals, etc. Virtually every life form in the Lanth system has been domesticated a hundred times over, bent and molded as a matter of course. No "wild" life is left to itself, a part of the "Rise to Mastery" story. Other life forms are like... stone and metal. To be shaped. Crafted.

At any rate, all our old intelligence seems to be confirmed. The enemy originates in the Lanth System, on the second planet (Lanthos II). The prisoners narrative hasn't even begun to approach the part where they conquer and enslave of all the lifeforms of Lanthos III and IV, to say nothing of the highways, but I think I'm going to interrupt the story after I finish this report. The Prisoner is going into obscene and disturbingly... whimsical detail about their breeding experiments with the conquered animals. A lot of it is just freakish and weird.

More importantly: I want to ask it more pressing questions now. Such as "Why are you on Luna, you gangly mutant ET dirtbag".

+
Dr. Xin Cheng appears ecstatic about The Prisoners compliance. The good professor is happily scribbling interrogations for the critter, taking notes, and blissfully living out his lifelong fantasy of putting the Cube to good use. The man was born for this moment, never seen him happier. He's fool enough to be peeved at my confiscating the cage with the cat, however. The collar around the cats neck identifies it as "Socks", I must post a bulletin on the internet to determine whose living quarters the evil professor snatched the poor animal from.

By the time I arrived, however, the Prisoner had gotten a good look at the cat. And the deep, idiotic rumbling it made when I picked up the cage and headed for the door was, I confess... unsettling.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
TRANSMISSION END

LINK TO CHAPTER 3: Last Minute Rescue of Socks

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Total Isolation Cube Report 04 - Savages with Tomohawks

Post by Roy-Batty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 am

I like the visuals. You do the same with other forum topics, and it really helps to get a point across. Inspiring stuff, and I love the humor thrown in!
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks, Batty. There are so many "ready to use" artist worlds out there... just begging to be incorporated.

TBH, I want the X'lanthos to look slightly different from the drawings above, that's why I made a point of describing them as archaic. I want them to have more of a "head", I want their skin smoother, and (the way I see it, anyway) X'lanthos literally have GLOWING EYES. Or rather, glowing "mouths". Their mouth/communication organ is essentially a gamma ray flashlight on a stalk, like a laser pen. And it emits a slight "glow" in the visible end of the spectrum, as well as gamma. So their eyeballs (which aren't really their eyes...) are these big, dark, dead orbs, that are normally completely black... but which pulse and glow a bioluminescent ultraviolet when they speak...
Last edited by trooogdooor on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Well, they have many shapes in my head, but one of the closest that perhaps connects pretty close to this idea would be:

I also love the human form, I have to say. For me it's a challenge to get the human form as "unhuman" as possible.... Oh, and soldiers (Hunter Groups) look something like this:

What do you think?

PS: These are not my design, they just connect to the chaotic thoughts in my head...
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm a sucker for facelessness. ^_^ Love the head on the first one.

My first, deep impression of the X'lanthos was Rlyehan's design, so I'm always writing with Rlyehans design in mind. One of the best i have ever seen in scifi, feels Lovecraftishly inhuman as you said. His Lanthoformer design too.
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=64333

But really, anything that doesn't feel like another W40K "trooper" is ok in my book. And the faceless techno-humanoid is menacing! Either a X'lanthos, or a "lanthoformed" human shock trooper (thus accounting for the very humanoid shape).