The Cleave: A History, Volume II

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

The Cleave: A History, Volume II

Post by AirborneHam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:56 pm

For the Earth as a whole, this was a day of rejoicing. The X’lanthos fleet was crippled and the ground units began to falter and finally fall to the human forces. Victory seemed within reach. More missiles were assembled and launched at the remaining alien vessels, entire cities were being reclaimed. The humans had succeeded at destroying an enemy it had fought for nearly one hundred years.

But was it really a victory?

The streets of Cleveland remained desolate for months. Those who had survived feared that the humans had lost. Those who had not would never be seen. After almost a year, people began to leave the safety of their shelters,either out of curiosity or the need to resupply. What they were faced with was indescribable. The X’lanthos fleet no longer loomed over them in the sky, promising certain destruction, and the homes of their long time friends and neighbors were decimated by the still smoldering remains of The Hive.

The shores of Lake Erie could be seen from almost anywhere in the city, glowing from the immortal fire that lived there. The trail that the craft had left, dividing the city in two, also burned, separating the survivors from each other, leaving many questioning if the opposite side was still intact. The people of Cleveland traveled to known locations of grocery stores and supermarkets to restock on food and supplies, and many returned to their shelter. A select few remained above. These individuals would be the first to discover what they had missed during the year underground.

After The Hive was destroyed, the X’lanthos panicked. They had thought that they could destroy the home of the humans without trouble, but now they were faced with the loss of a major asset to their side of The War. The humans, however, had become hopeful. But this sense of success blinded them. The X’lanthos were readying the virus that they had used to destroy the inhabitants of so many planets before.

After nearly the entire alien fleet had been removed from the skies, a large capsule was seen being released from the bottom of a small X’lanthos ship near the edge of Earth’s atmosphere. As the capsule fell, the human race slowly realized the situation. Panic and fear replaced triumph and victory. People knew that they only had only a short while left to live. The corporations made several futile attempts to regain control of their soldiers, but terror filled the ranks of the humans and both sides of The War knew it was over.

The virus gradually worked its way through Earth’s inhabitants, and within three months the human race had lost over 90% of its population to the alien disease. By the end of February, three years after the X’lanthos first invaded Earth, both sides had lost The Hundred Years War.

The few remaining X’lanthos retreated into hiding, mostly in the carcasses of their fallen ships. A small percentage of the human race was naturally immune to the virus, thus letting man slowly build up civilization after total destruction. Cities throughout the world were overgrown by nature, taking back what had once belonged to it. The creatures that the X’lanthos controlled began to assimilate into Earth’s wildlife, breeding with the local species to create new horrors and beasts.

But what became of Cleveland? When The Hive crashed, most of the crew and enslaved warriors were killed. Those who did survive fled the wreck, leaping across the river of fire that separated them from land. The humans that roamed the desolate city encountered these foreign creatures. Usually unarmed, the survivors of civilization were gradually eradicated from the urban areas. X’lanthos warriors regained control of their former slaves and began to construct barriers around the smoldering remains of their ship. Bridges were built connecting The Hive to the edges of the blazing moat. The alien population steadily grew and the plan to restart the computers of the craft arose. The X’lanthos would soon have the potential to communicate with the rest of their kind.

Society beyond is aware of this alien fortification. The Cleave, they call it; after the scar left by the first ship the humans destroyed. Lake Erie still burns, as does the gouge left in the Earth’s surface, but this does not hinder the inhabitants. The flames act as deterrence to their many enemies, leaving them only to deal with the occasional scavenger and the mindless machines. Not even plants dare to grow within a mile of the blaze.

And so I leave you, reader, with an image of what has become of the great civilization of Man. This is but one of the many unique locations throughout the world, interesting in history as well as current state. If I am to write more of these places, that is unknown. But this much is clear: the history of Earth is not done writing itself. It will continue, as it always has. And I shall observe, learning, gathering, growing my knowledge.

The future still holds many mysteries.

-The Librarian
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: The Cleave: A History, Volume II

Post by AirborneHam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:59 pm

This is the rest. I couldn't wait any longer to post it, I really liked writing it.

Again, comment and tell me what you think, please. I enjoy reading comments and benefit from any ideas people give me.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: The Cleave: A History, Volume II

Post by Roy-Batty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 am

Very well written. A nice fleshing out of detail and atmosphere. There are things I would do differently, but that is only based on the way I see things and describe them, so based on the world as it is forming in my head. I won't go into them because I don't want to critique your story, especially my way of seeing things is nothing more than that. I like your stories especially because the style and viewpoint differ a lot from mine. More direct, with a good feel for human emotions.
I like the storyline of a massive ship crashing right down the middle of a town, and it was great to see a detailed description of a X'Lanthos attack. Reading your stuff is making me want to get into each faction more. Perhaps a history from each faction's point of view? Kind of like an armybook style storyline for each faction. Hmmm...
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!