The Cleave: A History, Volume I

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

The Cleave: A History, Volume I

Post by AirborneHam » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:18 pm

Cleveland, Ohio. Before the Great War, this city was a manufacturing center of the Unified States, the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and founding location of the major medical organization known as BioMed. Lake Erie, the lake on which Cleveland rests, has been heavily polluted since the cities founding. In Cleveland’s 2300 year history, Lake Erie has caught fire nearly three-hundred times due to the flammable pollutants being accidentally ignited. Each of these burns has lasted months and eventually burned out. Currently, the lake is ablaze. The fire has been burning for hundreds of years, and shows no signs of ending.

During the Hundred Years War, before Lake Erie’s latest scorching, Lake Industries had a major barracks in Cleveland. Many of the men in the military were young, and had little experience in combat, but the propaganda of that time was strong and it made all teenage boys decide defending their planet was the best choice for their future. They spent months training for battle, but nothing could have prepared them for what was to follow.

The soldiers had heard stories of the X’lanthos. They had heard of the search and destroy tactics that they employed, the way they were able to communicate without speaking, the bio weapons they had used to completely eliminate the humans on the planets they inhabited. But, the soldiers were foolish. Most of them thought that as soon as the aliens reached earth, their armies would completely destroy them. They figured the war would end as soon as they got sight of the X’lanthos vessels.

They couldn’t have been more wrong.

The first of the warships were spotted in December. All of the soldiers were already on duty, they had a fair warning and were separated from their families during the holidays. On December 27th the first X’lanthos craft fired on the moon base. All of the world’s air forces were mobile by noon that day. The fighting in the air and on the moon lasted for three days and by the 30th several of the alien crafts had entered earth’s atmosphere. However, the first report of any X’lanthos landing on the surface wasn’t until June. That’s when the war came to the cities and the people began to fight.

In Cleveland, the troops of Lake Industries mobilized. They patrolled the streets in search of the enemy, hoping to eliminate the threat before it became more than that. First contact was in the football stadium. One of the soldiers left to use the restroom and a shout was heard. As the others came running, the shout became a cry for help and then a disturbing gurgling sound. The men discovered their comrade’s corpse mangled and blood covered, head in pieces on the sink. As the soldiers frantically realized the situation, the beasts that committed such abhorrent acts crept quietly in the shadows. Each strike the X’lanthos made was quick and effective. Not a single move was wasted on their part. A swing of what is assumed their arm, a crushing blow by the creature’s foot. One by one the men on that team were wiped out until all that was left was the blood stained steel of the restroom.

Similar events occurred all over the world. Hidden, almost invisible strikes that wiped out soldiers. Small squads or entire platoons, nobody was safe. The initial fighting resulted in nearly two thousand human deaths and only fifty four X’lanthos corpses. They were fast, they were precise, and they were deadly.

Within the week, the world’s communications were offline, and as a result, the people of Cleveland could only speculate what was happening elsewhere. By the seventh day of the attacks on the surface, the X’lanthos were through with hiding. The streets were filled with the screams of people being pulverized by the fists of the beasts the aliens controlled. Enslavement or employment, the humans did not know, but the creatures could tear down skyscrapers in minutes.

Over the course of several weeks, other creatures began appearing; each seemed to excel at its own unique task. The X’lanthos were still there, and they seemed to control every action of the beings at the front. The soldiers fought each day to protect and survive, and each day more and more people were dying. That’s when the course of the war turned for the better; and the future of the world was changed forever.

By November of the year after the X’lanthos first entered Earth’s atmosphere, several human governments had gained contact with each other. A plan was being put together to destroy the largest and seemingly most important alien craft. The humans had taken to calling this ship The Hive as it is where the majority of smaller ships and landing vessels had come from. The plan was to fire a projectile at it and send it spiraling towards the surface.

In a small country known as Centralized State of the Americas, located on the land bridge between the Unified States and The Republic of South America, the blueprints were being made for a missile that could shut off all of the Dark Matter energy fields located on the ship and then start combustion throughout its body. By the first month of the following year, the weapon was assembled and ready to fire.

Throughout the western hemisphere, people watched as the yellow streak of the missile pierced the night sky. It soared towards its target and within just half a minute, the largest source of the enemy burst into flames and began plummeting towards earth.

From Cleveland, the sight of The Hive burning couldn’t have been described as frightening. It was beyond that. A craft the size of Manhattan was barreling out of the sky, directly towards downtown. For the first hour, this sight strengthened the humans hope and frightened the X’lanthos. The battling in the streets turned into the gunning down of aliens as they ran for the suburbs. By the third hour, no more X’lanthos were visible, and The Hive looked close enough to touch. The terrified people of Cleveland retreated into the cellars and bunkers of the city, leaving the streets of the Rock and Roll capital of the world desolate and quiet.

The only sound for ten minutes was the rumbling of The Hive’s engines struggling hopelessly to regain altitude. The sky was lit up like a summer day from the burning ball of metal plummeting towards earth. Plummeting towards Cleveland. Plummeting towards the shores of Lake Erie.

All was silent compared to the sound that followed. The world seemed desolate if one knew what would happen next.

The Hive hit the earth’s surface with the force of a city falling from the sky. The angle in which it was descending made it slide across downtown Cleveland. The gorge it left behind it as it drove towards the water divided the city in two, leaving a trail of destruction in between. The alien craft slowly crawled across the metropolis, creeping, it seemed, towards the shore of the lake. When the burning hulk finally reached its destination, it crushed the banks, connecting Lake Erie to the newly created canyon that scarred the once thriving landscape.

The heavily polluted water poured into the crevice, lowering the level of the lake drastically and filling the gaping scar half full. The highly flammable contents of Lake Erie were finally set ablaze after some time resting near the smoldering carcass of The Hive. The initial effects were not that significant in comparison to the crashed spacecraft, but within a few hours, the entire lake, along with its new addition, were completely in flames.

Cleveland had been cleaved in half.
Last edited by AirborneHam on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: The Cleave: A History

Post by AirborneHam » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:23 pm

So, I am giving Sven a break because I came up with a really cool idea and want to know how you like it. If I get a good response, I might do more of this style.

I started writing this and then a few hours later realized I had waaay too many pages to post, so this is a part one thing, there is more, describing the after war events. I guess this could be considered my more in depth look at events described in Eris Scrolls, Roy-Batty's series that I very much enjoy.

So, if you liked this, comment and tell me to write more of them, or if you didn't, comment and tell me why. I am always welcome to constructive criticism.

Enjoy. :D

It only gets better.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: The Cleave: A History, Volume I

Post by AirborneHam » Mon May 07, 2012 7:18 pm

My friends and I were geeking out about Dark Potential while playing 40K this weekend and came up with a brilliant idea. We really like the Dark Potential world and wanted to make very specific DP maps. After thinking about it, we decided we liked the concept of The Cleave (it is my friends favorite of my writings). So we are building a 4X4 game table of "The Cleave" and I wanted to know what anybody thinks about it.

Once we're done we are going to make more tables for our local club hoping to get people into Dark Potential and I was wondering if anyone had other ideas for cool locations to make tables for. I'm going to be putting most of my effort into this because I have to wait until much later to get Reclaimers because there's not going to be a starter set. :(
Yeah, just thought I would ask what people thought.

It only gets better.