The Fallen Soldier Chronicles Part 5: Monotony

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

The Fallen Soldier Chronicles Part 5: Monotony

Post by AirborneHam » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Part 1:http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=65487
Part 2:http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=65874
Part 3:http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=66922
Part 4:http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=68686

The following days seemed to drag on. Every morning Sven would awake to Katrina serving him breakfast and they would spend some time talking. Most of their conversations centered on life in Reclaimer society. Sven told her about growing up and being taught that the humans on Earth lived in a barbaric culture. He told about his training on the moon to build muscle and grow used to the feeling of gravity. When he told about the food they ate in the orbiting cities of his people, Katrina lost her professional appearance and laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Sven asked.

When she stopped giggling, Katrina merely answered, “The idea of eating flavored paste just doesn’t appeal to me.”

After several long hours of talking, Sven was left alone while Katrina performed her “chores.” What she did, Sven didn’t know, but he spent the period following their conversations in solitude. Each day, the time alone seemed to last forever. Thoughts filled Sven’s mind about what he would do when he was released. After repaying his debt, he thought of seeking out a way to return to the Reclaimers. He hoped to wander until running across a Tech Recovery Team or spotting a search probe. If he ever got back to the orbit, his first priority would be to find what became of Jared.

After an endless time of waiting, Katrina would return with lunch and they would talk again, but only for a short while. She could spend only a minimal amount of time with him in the afternoon, Sven was told, due to the quantity of work that needed finishing. So the afternoon was spent in solitude as well. On the first day of his recovery, Sven had tried to leave his room after lunch but discovered that Katrina had locked the door. He was sealed in and was forced to stay in bed to heal, which was not such a bad thing seeing as the pain of just walking to the door was enough to make Sven weak.

When he was aroused for dinner after his newly scheduled afternoon nap, Katrina was covered in dirt and grime from the days’ work. Sven had asked what she had done all day but her only reply was, “You’ll see when you’re ready.” This left him uneasy and he returned to eating his meal.

These events repeated for four days with minimal changes. Some days the conversations would change topic, but Sven was confined to his room and his cot until his wounds healed, both externally and internally. For four days, monotony ruled Sven’s life until the fifth morning brought a break in the repetition.

“The kid’s fine.” A voice said from the other side of Sven’s door. “He has been here for almost a week, eating our food, using our resources. It’s about time he started repaying us.”

“He just needs a few more days to recover.” Katrina sounded angry with the man she was talking to. “Let him rest.”

The door swung open and the muffled voices suddenly became very loud. “He’s been resting in our beds for far too long.” The man talking was bald and his voice passed through a large red beard as he spoke. “Get up, you Reclaimer bug. You’re ready to pay off that debt of yours.”

Katrina stood quietly behind the man as he began pulling Sven out of bed. The pain was much less now, and Sven’s only real complaint was the forceful clutch on his wrist. He stood up and followed the man. They pushed past Katrina and, as Sven looked at her, she gave a look of sympathy and compassion. Sven couldn’t imagine what he would be doing to repay his debts. He assumed he would be outside. Outside.

“Excuse me,” Sven said as he was pulled out the door into the hallway outside his room. “I need to grab my breathing apparatus if I’m going to be working outside.”

The man pulling him looked at him mockingly. “You need a hoo-da-what-a-ma-thingy?” His smile seemed almost malicious.

“Dammit, Jack! He needs his mask.” Katrina stormed out of the room and handed Sven the face mask that would keep him alive. Jack’s smile instantly vanished.

“Fine,” he grunted. “Now let’s get you to work.”
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

saim45
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: The Fallen Soldier Chronicles Part 5: Monotony

Post by saim45 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:21 am

I am thinking about putting together a quick tutorial on it, maybe this weekend.

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:27 am

Hey! Good to see you still writing! Reading this piece made me go back and revise the story so far, and I like it. Maybe it would be a good idea to make things a bit more eventful though. I really like how the characters are developing but I am missing the "next step" from last piece. I don´t know if that makes any sense... For me, it would be nice to have a little cliffhanger for next time. For instance, you could have had Sven be dragged out of his cell without the breathing apparatus and just leave it there, and then you resolve it in the following piece. But hey, it´s just my opinion ofcourse. And again, I like the style and storyline you are creating.
Somehow, seeing your stuff gets my neurons itching again. The last pieces I have posted was older stuff, and I haven't really gotten arouond to writing lately. Lack of motivation mostly. Hope to see more of your stuff soon!
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by AirborneHam » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Wow... What's new Roy? I got so caught up in my senior year of high school and graduating that I haven't even been here in almost a year. I need to write more, that's for sure. I need motivation more than anything. I know this is a late response to your message from a couple months ago, but if you write something, I'll write something. Sound like a deal?
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.