25. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - End of war

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

25. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - End of war

Post by Roy-Batty » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:18 am

As Arcs from all parts of the galaxy have joined us, some of my Skimmer Vessels descent upon earth’s atmosphere. My tale has now neared the end of the 100 year war and comes ever closer to present day. I did not expect to return to the people I and my kin have been created for with guns drawn. My mission has been altered from preservation to exploration, I suspect combat has been added to my classified order range. Perhaps I will discover soon.

Sixth Annex, the year 3504 to 3605 AD. The 100 year war. No one survives at the end.

Although it must have been a terrifying sight for a Corporation soldier or any paramilitary band of resistance, the X’Lanthos hordes now on earth’s surface were not very effective. In fact, these were the remains of the invasion force, forced from their ships as the fleet meant to crush the hart of human civilization burned in the sky. Hunters now had to fight alongside engineers and support staff, even the slaves they had stolen from other worlds. Some wielded powerful Dark Energy manipulators, and others had to deal with the disadvantages of taking a club to a gunfight.
As one might rationalize under normal circumstances, opening up the cages of the creatures you have suppressed for decades doesn’t necessarily mean a welcome addition to your ranks, even if you explicitly order them to attack your enemy. But reason is usually one of the first civilized capabilities to fall when the panic of a death struggle grips one by the throat. Former servants, already more than used to live with the possibility of death on a day to day base, took this opportunity to turn this battle to annihilate an enemy that was never theirs into a struggle for freedom. The X’Lanthos who discovered this in time made an effective last use of their living possessions by flinging them into the humanoid enemy, manipulating gravity like a child throwing his toys around. Others didn’t recognize the threat in time to avoid a crude but brutal death.

Man had his own set of difficulties. The virus was doing its selective job, and rapidly demising numbers of the already thinly spread remaining armed forces were only barely able to offer resistance to the X’Lanthos forces. Wartime production had practically broken down and supplies not only of ammunition and weapons, but more importantly food, water and medicine had come to a near standstill.
The once Great Corporations crumbled as civilized structure broke down. NanoSec still held a large part of Northern Europe, with the help of Grippen-Gakam forces, now depleted and working with a minimum of resources. Lake Corporation’s tight grip on what once was a Multi-System Information and News Distribution Network had disappeared with global breakdown of news casts. The conglomerate now had to arm itself and had found a stronghold in North America, some said to be led by Scofield himself.
The rest of the world had been devastated by the war on a scale unknown to man. Even when more unpopulated areas had not been hit by any of the major strikes, the general breakdown of life supporting structures and the alien virus killed most non-urban population in Europe, The USA, New-Asia, and large regions of the Middle East and South America. Other areas were more resilient to the effects of the ongoing battle. In Africa, many regions were so independent of modern day infrastructure and the population was so spread out over such a large area, that many villages survived the conflict untouched. The virus took a part of the populace, but it seemed the bioweapon was far less effective, unable to travel through human hosts long enough to make it to the next human gathering. Geographic limitations also formed natural barriers from the invaders, like rainforests, mountains and deserts.

NanoSec made it a top priority to vaccinate every employee and soldier with Alacrity, from foot soldier to executive. The Lake Corporation propaganda had done a fine job positioning the product as the only protection against the X’Lanthos virus. In turn, NanoSec reinforced Lake ranks in the US, now that money had lost its value. Bennet Croyle had been sent to Europe to oversee the vaccination campaign and instruct Grippen-Gakam enforcers on how to recognize personnel that had not received treatment, so they could be punished adequately. Croyle still had great doubts in using the Alacrity vaccine, but knew protesting would not be wise. Although some may argue Croyle was a coward for putting his own survival before warning mankind of the potential dangers of Alacrity, other survivors of the 100 year war would argue the truth about the vaccine’s effects and more importantly the way the Corporations handled the Alacrity crisis would never have been discovered without the revelations of this man. In the aftermath of the war this event would leave the remains of man torn and divided, uncovering the deep rot nestled within the foundations of human civilization.

The viral attack had decimated what was left of human population on earth. Those who escaped the conventional attacks and found a way to survive without primal aid fell by just breathing infested air. Those who were lucky enough to be vaccinated resisted the biological weapon, as well as a small part of the population who were seemingly immune to the virus, although very rare.
With the final X’Lanthos push under way, a large part of the population started to give in to hope. A hope of surviving this battle and defending earth’s dominant inhabitants from alien intrusion. Victory was no longer an appropriate word, with so much destruction, so many deaths. One could even wonder if mankind truly survived. Man did. No longer omnipresent on the globe, but saved from being wiped out by a competing race. The enemy was now being pushed back, forced to stop its advance and search a safe haven to avoid total defeat. This was a war man was used to. The enemy was different than any before, but a bullet fired into a X’Lanthos body had the same destructive effect as it did in man. It was when human Corporations now felt more confident to take the fight to the aggressors, when the last X’Lanthos trap was sprung.

It was the morning of February 16th, 3605, when the first NanoSec hospital near London alarmed local command. Civilians had started to fall ill from the bioweapon. This was not unusual, however, the fact that these people had recently been treated with Alacrity was reason for great alarm. Within 24 hours, over 90% of the vaccinated population showed signs of infection, leading to a near 100% fatality rate in less than a week. Anyone in contact with an infected person died within days.
Corporations disintegrated, armies collapsed, society finally and definitively fell. Not even the X’Lanthos were able to occupy the emptiness left by mans footprint, now too busy with survival on a planet that was never theirs to begin with. Not only man, but also their own formers slaves were now out for their blood.

The era after the war was about to start. Earth had come as close to its own end as man had. As always however, Mother Nature was the first to recover from the conflict, retaking the ground that was taken from her for thousands of years. Animals reined the streets and trees invaded house and factory. After only several decades, the only places that seemed truly manmade, were the enormous recycling plants in every continent, each with its own fauna of living machinery.
Last edited by Roy-Batty on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 25. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - Alacrity Propaganda

Post by Roy-Batty » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:23 am

Wow.... 17 views and no replies on the last post... I can see the dust blowing through the empty streets of the Fan Fiction forum.

Anyway, this is the end of the 100 year war. Getting closer to Dark Potential.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: 25. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - Alacrity Propaganda

Post by slaughtergames » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 am

poor you, getting no replies! :) don't think we don't like your stories lol...

did you actually get the name 'Eris scrolls' out of the blue, or did you know about the greek god of dispute, named 'Eris'?
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 25. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - End of the 100 year

Post by Roy-Batty » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:24 pm

@ slaughtergames, well, the main reason I post this is to get some kind of dynamic going with the community, but I guess that ended with the migration to mechanics :-)

Yes, I ran into the name Eris in a book on Mythology, described as the god who sows the seeds of dispute and than enjoys the chaos she creates... This Eris is not that evil though.... yet.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Just so you know, I've read most of them, and think they are fantastic.

When we get closer to development I'm sure this will serve as a great inspiration to the mythos that will be with Dark Potential.

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 pm

kind of lost interest in the community of dark potential just cause the DPDD really was a great motavational aid... but every so often I come by just to read some stories of the Eris Scrolls!
Really they are great.
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 25. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - End of war

Post by Roy-Batty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Changed the title to "End of war", as "End of the 100 year war" was too long...

@ Matt; Great to hear you are keeping up and enjoying. Too bad development is at a bit of a standstill right now. I still hugely enjoy writing on this subject, although soon i'll reach the beginning of the game in the timeline. I'll have to figure out some new inspiration before than. And yes, I agree with TMB, the Development Diaries were a great source of inspiration!

@Tmb, Well it's good to know i'm still entertaining my hugely reduced group of followers! Thanks for following Eris and the demise of mankind.

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Roy-Batty wrote: This Eris is not that evil though.... yet.
YET?!?!

did no one else catch this?!?!!?!

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: 25. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - End of war

Post by AirborneHam » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

I read all of them. I would write more myself if school didn't get in the way. i swear English class takes more effort than it's worth.
I figure we might as well keep writing and when Matt has time to do Dark Potential videos again, people might start flocking in droves to read the "Amazing Stories in the Fan Fiction Forums" **said in loud, announcer like voice** :)
Or we can write for fun and expect nothing from it. The first option sounds far more entertaining.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.