An overview of the world: Locations

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

An overview of the world: Locations

Post by rraz » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:38 pm

*Notice*: The following may not line up perfectly with other people's fluff. There is a lot of it and to be honest I don't really have the time to read it all. I figure you people can just hack up what you like and place it where you want in the fiction you have already established, IF you even take any of it at all.

*Second notice*: Because I have not read the fiction, I am going with my own purposely vague idea of how the virus got to earth, and it goes a little something like this: Most space battles are fought over hundreds of thousands of kilometers, ships traveling at high speeds launching missiles at each other and maneuvering to outsmart enemy missiles tracking systems. Most space battles in the war were fought like this, but to ensure that the virus warheads got to earth without being shot down, the X'lanthos fleet "warped" (I don't know what the fiction is regarding "warping" or "teleportation:, so feel free to change that) into Earth's upper atmosphere and began to bombard population centers as to render response forces powerless while they dropped payloads of virus warheads.

Now that that is out of the way, here are my ideas for locations across the world of Dark Potential

Rustheap- Offshore resort towers in the atlantic ocean. They were abandoned pre-war, and most of the pretty, elegant facades that once graced the covers of travel ads are gone, leaving the crumbling, yet resilient superstructures. The coalition use them as a home base. While they require constant maintenance that is hindered by poor tools and faded technical knowledge, they remain a safe alternative to roughing it on land. The Coalition sends out merchants and attack teams on boats, and use boats to travel from one tower to another. Food is grown on the roofs of the towers, and small solar panels provide limited amounts of carefully rationed electricity, along with buoy generators. Last winter one of the outer towers collapsed during a storm killing hundreds and forcing the residents to wonder how safe the towers really are.

The hive- The hive is the epicenter of salvager activity. Whatever it used to be, the hive is totally unrecognizable now. Beams and supports stretch out in every direction, paving the way for the expanse of a gigantic blob of honeycombed metal. Inside, hundreds of thousands, if not millions of tiny robotic workers break down materials brought in by scavenger teams and turn them into fortifications, workers, warriors, or just scraps for repairs. The outer perimeter is patrolled by sentry units and constantly guarded by "scuttle" mines. Travelers give the hive a very wide berth.

Derilect- Despite it's name, thousands of aliens live inside this crashed X'lanthos ship. I know that X'lanthos are supposed to hate humans, so I have two versions of derelict.

First version- The X'lanthos live here, keep to themselves, and hate humans. The end.

Second version- While they still dislike human presence, they have allowed a small city to grow around the ship. The inside of the ship has a strict code of law, while the outer city is a mostly lawless slum with rules changing from block to block with clashing gangs. Intrepid(and well armed) traders do business in the outer city, which is the only reason it exists at all.

Chicago- Alien plants and trees in Chicago's parks and greenhouses exploded in growth after the war, quickly consuming the skyscrapers and making it a towering, verdant mountain of biomass. Possible "home base" of the animal faction? Pterodactyl-like aliens ride the massive gusts of wind funneling in-between buildings that the city was once infamous for, achieving breakneck speeds. Chicago is a maze of manmade passages and roots. The under-city has become almost impossible to navigate with the roots of massive trees overhead cracking through the roofs of tunnels and feeling their way down for hundreds of feet. Some of the more hardy trees grow horizontally out of the tall buildings. The extreme humidity given off from so many plants has actually changed the climate of the area, and turned it into a rainforest.

Carver's town- The self proclaimed "adventurer" Javen Carver set up a town in the old Toronto Space Port. In the underground hangar, they found hundreds of shuttles protected from the centuries by their sturdy outer shell designed to protect against atmospheric re-entry forces. The settlers tore the shuttles apart for the "prime" metal inside. With so much metal, the inhabitants quickly set to forging firearms, some based on pre-war designs, others invented on the spot. While other scavenged firearms run the risk of jamming, misfiring, or even exploding during use, Carver's town weapons are guaranteed to work (more). The forges mostly produce fairly simple pistols and rifles, usually single action, all hand made. However, if you have something especially valuable to trade, you might just end up with something special.

The Graveyard- With rising populations throughout the millennia, the cities of Ottawa and Montreal eventually grew into each other forming one massive megalopolis. When the X'lanthos fleet warped into low orbit, a detachment of the fleet stopped directly over the city. Ordinance and virus warheads fell on the city for hours before the fleet was destroyed. With all emergency services either killed outright or dying in the streets from the virus, the city burned from end to end for weeks, the oily black smoke in the skies occasionally and only split by the flash of pieces of debris falling from orbit and smashing into the firestorm below. Embers the size of soccer balls rained down for hundreds of miles around as the inferno engulfed the city. Today, much of area is slowly being taken back by nature, but you can't walk more than a few feet without finding a piece of the old city sticking out of the tall grass.

New York- While New York city did grow very much by the time of the war, it was definitely not the world's biggest city in terms of size or population. What it was the biggest in was population density. As a huge population center, it was a target of the same massive sub-fleet that ravaged Montreal and Ottawa. New york was a little different, however. For some reason, most of the X'lanthos weapons turned against New York City were virus bombs. While the city did suffer massive damage, most of the buildings remained standing, and quite a few of them are still standing today. Strangely enough, no vegetation at all grows there. The city has gotten a reputation of being haunted, and every once in a while some brave fool from the bandit tribes across the river wander in and is never heard from again. After so many of these disappearances, it has become clear the city really is haunted, but whether or not by ghosts of the war's victims, or something...else remains a mystery.

New Jersey- New Jersey became synonymous with the massive shipyards it housed. The tough industrial work inside the shipyards already drew in a rough crowd, but the worker ghettos around the yards really made the inhabitants of the area infamous. When the contents of the New York virus warheads drifted downwind, the millions of workers in the dystopia became thousands, and not very many of them were law enforcement. The shipyards descended into a brutal gang war that lasted for the next three hundred years, and only now are the inhabitants finding shaky peace under the banner of stealing from other people (bandit home-base).

The spire- The spire was a space elevator that moved ship-parts from the New Jersey ship yards into low orbit. The upper levels of it crumbled and fell back to earth long ago, but the first few thousand feet of the base have survived and are being inhabited by all manner of survivors. It has a simple government and law enforcement, and is seen as a beacon of civilization and rebirth in a world being slowly but surely reclaimed by nature. The inhabitants serve no faction, and work together out of a sense of obligation and survival.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: An overview of the world: Locations

Post by slaughtergames » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:12 am

uhm... why "an overview of the world" if it's only about america lol? no offence :wink:

so yeah, it's pretty nice, but i thought the number of survivors you used were a little high. thousands of survivors in one city alone, you can't really say humanity almost went extinct, can you? same thing goes for the aliens; most of 'em got on earth via crashlandings.. :? (correct me if not)

either way, i still like the bit of work you did there
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rraz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:57 pm

slaughtergames wrote:uhm... why "an overview of the world" if it's only about america lol? no offence :wink:

so yeah, it's pretty nice, but i thought the number of survivors you used were a little high. thousands of survivors in one city alone, you can't really say humanity almost went extinct, can you? same thing goes for the aliens; most of 'em got on earth via crashlandings.. :? (correct me if not)

either way, i still like the bit of work you did there
Well, I imagine the spire and the hive as being in canada, and the graveyard definitely is. I was trying to fit it all in the area Matt illustrated it taking place in. As for the survivors, there are millions of people living in most big cities, and the virus is 99% effective. So yeah, out of a million people, a thousand would survive. In a future-city with skyscrapers thousands of feet high and huge populations several thousand people would be immune to the virus.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:20 pm

forgive me, lord Razz! I shall defile thy reasoning no more! :)

*and then I do it anyway*

well yeah, thousands of people is correct if you do the math, i just kinda felt it was a little much lol....
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

lean-v
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by lean-v » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Great development on the locations. The 'Derelict' and Chicago are my favorites so far. Never actually gave too much thought to the "Windy City" and the idea of high-speed, flying, predator species taking up residence- seems like a rather fun 'animal' faction direction to take!

I'd imagine they would be roosting in the ruined sky-scrapers?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

rraz
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rraz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 am

lean-v wrote:Great development on the locations. The 'Derelict' and Chicago are my favorites so far. Never actually gave too much thought to the "Windy City" and the idea of high-speed, flying, predator species taking up residence- seems like a rather fun 'animal' faction direction to take!

I'd imagine they would be roosting in the ruined sky-scrapers?
Graci, graci

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:43 pm

as for the spire, in terms of height, i believe it would be an all or nothing type of deal. most space elevators that are being thought of now would consist of three parts: a power plant at the bottom, a thin guide wire, and a counter weight in high orbit. the guide wire would be paper thin and not a large building type structure

also the metal found in carver's town would be have been strong to survive space debris and meteorites mostly. atmospheric reentry stuff like on the space shuttle (and ICBM's oddly enough) is actually fragile ceramics (case in point the Challenger and Columbia disasters). but we all know what you are talking about.

but i really liked the Derilect and the Rustheap even more. these are all great ideas that i think would be a great place to base a story around.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm

Awesome ideas! It actually feels like I can picture the Dark Potential world better when I read ideas like this.

I just might have to put some more time into developing this game soon... If only I had more time (and money).

Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Ashran » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:42 pm

slaughtergames wrote: so yeah, it's pretty nice, but i thought the number of survivors you used were a little high. thousands of survivors in one city alone, you can't really say humanity almost went extinct, can you? same thing goes for the aliens; most of 'em got on earth via crashlandings.. :? (correct me if not)
Current world population is estimated to have just broke 7 bil, many cities have millions each in them. 1k is only .1% of a million and even if there were a million cities with 1000 survivors each in them, that'd be one billion which is only fourteen ish percent of the population. Assuming that the earth's population has far exceded this and is in the double digit billions, it'd be an even smaller percentage...And say there's a million cities on Earth is a spotty assumption as is so I'd say that it's entirely plausible there are more then a handful of cities with 1000+ people in them.
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon