22. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - The Moon Exodus

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

22. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - The Moon Exodus

Post by Roy-Batty » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:12 am

Ironically, my tale now becomes heavily based on tales and transmissions caught in the vastness of space, as we enter the time when I, Eris, was created and sent on my quest into the unknown. At the time of the Moon Exodus I was in any sense a mere infant. My systems functioning as expected and fed with the information needed for my development, however not yet conscious. Not yet filled with the questions and reasoning that burden me now.
The largest of these queries seems to be the doubt I feel about our course of action today. My tale is full of struggle and death. Do we once more need to start reclaiming our homeland by releasing another hurricane of destruction? When can we once more plant seeds of a new foundation for man? Does the ground need to be fertilized by the blood of our species before we can grow? Are we that parasitic? I wonder in what way man is superior to the X’Lanthos, if this is the case. Is what we call humanity no more than a mere word?

Sixth Annex, the year 3504 to 3605 AD. The 100 year war. David and Goliath.

Several years before the X'Lanthos fleet breached the Mars Portal, the Exodus organization on earth gathered a solid following. Convinced of the inevitability of the final alien attack, this covert group gathered resources to prepare for the necessary action to save earth heritage. The objective was to gather information, knowledge and examples of all aspects of human life on earth, secure this data and keep it safe for future generations. Since no planet known to man would be secure enough, the unending emptiness of space would provide shelter.
People from all layers of civilization had become involved in the movement. Many acted out of noble intentions, wanting to preserve humanity rather than merely surviving, however many viewed the organization as a form of possible escape, especially when Portal Travel was suspended. Engineers, politicians, even Corporate Executives, especially from NanoSec, joined and provided the organization with capital and resources. Soon it was decided to base Exodus operations on the moon. A Grippen-Gakam board member had convinced the corporation to mount defenses against alien aggressors here, as part of an interplanetary security grid. In itself the plan was solid and therefore entirely acceptable. In fact, during the X’Lanthos attack the counterstrike mounted from the moon proved to be a turning point in the conflict, and perhaps the salvation of the population of the Mother Planet.
For the Exodus however, there were many other reasons than a mere defensive grid. The moon left operations out of sight and the penal colonies already under Grippen-Gakam control presented the organization with a large, cheap and fully expendable workforce. The construction of Arcs commenced within a few months, and the selection process of its crewmembers was put in motion.
At the same time, a military defense base was raised to maintain the large amount of resource investment on a normally neglected place like the moon justifiable. Engineers came up with the idea of mounting underground accelerators. Measuring over 20 miles, a magnetic charge could accelerate a projectile to near 5 times the speed of sound at exit, hurling it at an alien target. Somewhat primitive, but very much camouflaged. The weapons themselves were hidden far beneath the satellite’s surface, and the expulsed object would have a very low energy signature. Also, since mounting these weapons was a lost art for generations back on earth, the progress of the project could not be measured easily.

Now, it was time for all factors to come together. The X’Lanthos had passed from a potential threat to grim reality, and even the most convinced Exodus Magistrate had expected the path of destruction brought forth by the attacks. The enemy fleet had complete space and air dominance. One didn’t need to be Haussman enhanced to know a disembarking fleet of Arcs would be intercepted and destroyed. Besides, why send out Arcs if the foundation of the race they were trying to preserve, was about to collapse? Or perhaps this would be the most important reason of all. In that case, there would be no coming back. The Arcs would now be all that was left of mankind, now a nomadic species in search for a new home.

The accelerators worked, that much was clear. The X’Lanthos fleet had not counted on resistance from the moon, nor the form it had. Hundreds of alloy projectiles hit in the nearest 4 ships within minutes, rendering them useless. A fifth ship was severely damaged and started to drift away from its assault position, crashing into an unaffected ship, destroying the both with massive force.
From the earth, the sight of enemy ships burning into the atmosphere or simply breaking up into useless space debris must have been an unbelievable sight. The first Hunter Groups had landed on earth’s surface, but even the ruthless killing units could only stare at the spectacle far above their heads. Some survivors even now insist the alien ground troop crumbled in agony as the fleet was first hit.
For the first time, man had actually succeeded in surprising the X’Lanthos strategists. The moon had been simply overlooked, and the weapon with which man was now striking the hart of its forces, had never been seen before in previous battle. The damage had been extensive in a very short time span and step 2 was already in effect. Landing ships were already entering the atmosphere. But these were not alien vessels dropping Hunters, these ships came from the planet, filled to the brim with human soldiers. And while the X’Lanthos were divided between the devastating attacks from the moon and the threat arising from the earth itself, now actually contemplating the possibility of severe losses or even defeat, the Arcs deployed from the far side of the moon, practically unnoticed, with only a few blue energy rings expulsed from each solar engine as it ignited, like small sparks of human hope.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: 22. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - The Moon Exodus

Post by AirborneHam » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:54 pm

The suspense is killing me. Write more. Now!

Oh, and you spelled heart, "hart", somewhere near the end. No other issues. :D
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

slaughtergames
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by slaughtergames » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:49 am

i don't know what the story's about, since i skipped parts 8-19, but it's super-epic!
"i buy me new deffkopta!!"
"waaaagh!"
"i did research, to find out how to minimize the randomness of the shock-attack gun."
"huh?"
"waaaagh!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 pm

first off id like to say i love the story so far. i think that you are really capturing humanity's struggle to survive.

only thing id like to point out is that for those moon cannons mach 5 isnt much at all. not even enough to escape the moon's gravity (assuming its a projectile). a speed of .1c (one tenth the speed of light about 30,000,000m/s) would make for a more realistic weapon. just my 2 cents

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:07 pm

@ Phatty, thanks a lot for your comment, and the added information. I have to honestly say I haven't researched any physics and I can say it's not my field at all. It seems you know a lot more about the subject and I would really be very grateful for any corrections or help on the matter, as writing science fiction inevitably gets you in touch with the world of physics.
Right now I really write this stuff purely for my own entertainment, and don't spend too much time checking or investigating, as I don't want to get too distracted from getting the story on paper. That said, posting the story also brings another factor into play, which is an audience. People like yourself that read my things and know more about certain matters than I do can get distracted by my "invention" of facts. So, again, any help or corrections are most welcome!
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!