19. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - The Vorta Complex

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

19. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - The Vorta Complex

Post by Roy-Batty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:17 am

This morning we have reached moon orbit. A diplomatic delegation, among them my Haussman Bureaucrat, has descended to our moon base with the objective to obtain more information about the current situation on earth. The marines are now activated and have begun their readiness training.
The fact that we cannot travel further leaves me with a feeling described best as disappointment according to human emotion. I have to make haste in the account of human history, now that it seems more relevant than ever.

Sixth Annex, the year 3504 to 3605 AD. The 100 year war. Unhuman sacrifice.

The X'Lanthos figured out human speech relatively quickly. They seemed to understand the principles of language and speech. In fact, it took them a lot longer to understand facial expressions, as this was never part of their communicative arsenal. It couldn't be. The X’Lanthos didn't have a face like man did, although one could say there were similarities. It wasn't until many years after man learned the aliens had known several forms of verbal communication in their own history, and had moved on since than.
On the other hand, man struggled to understand the X'Lanthos way to convey messages. Hunter units seemed to use gestures, although their complex coordination seemed to indicate there should be a more elaborate way to convey information. How, remained a mystery for many years, until NanoSec constructed the Vorta Complex on planet Alkonost.

The Aquilae system was nearly entirely composed of NanoSec owned planets. Heavily industrialized and militarized through a large Grippen-Gakam contract, this was the place of origin for many technologic developments. Only three Portal Travels removed from earth’s system, Aquilae was in close contact with NanoSec center of operations on the Mother planet, until Scofields attack just before the war. Now, this system had become the nerve center for NanoSec strategy, and remained as a research system.
With the arrival of the X’Lanthos NanoSec realized this new enemy needed to be investigated like the many new animal species they had encountered in the previous centuries. However, this new breed was going straight for mankind’s throat, with superior technology and a highly developed military structure. It was essential to understand the workings of this new entity, before it was too late.
Alkonost used to be a mining colony for almost 200 years, ran by the Lavigne-Xue Mining Corporation. When production methods available at the time reached the planets resource limits, it was abandoned, leaving fully automated DTM-Corp atmospheric control installations behind. After all, shutting down the Haussman enhanced machinery and dismantling the sites would be far more expensive, as well as risky for shutdown crews. Atmospheric instability could cause many unpredictable problems on planets like Alkonost, which fully relied on DTM technology to obtain earth like conditions.
About 75 years after the departure of the last Lavigne-Xue industrial freighter, NanoSec took an interest to the planet while planning a covert investigation base on the X’Lanthos race. Even largely abandoned even by local wildlife and mostly hollowed out by mining activity, this was one of the few planets in the system NanoSec was quite sure no X’Lanthos ruins had been found previously. Most of the base would be built underground, and minor civil research facilities on the surface would help in concealing the sites true purpose.
The Vorta Complex was operational within 6 months. Experts from all systems were assembled, as was a military team partially consisting of officers that fought the invaders personally. Captured and crashed vehicles were brought in and reverse engineered, leading to the first generation of Dark Energy Field Disruptors. On the other hand, the alien technology showed man how to apply Dark Energy in an effective and strategic way. Dead X’Lanthos became more commonly used as study material as man learned how to fight against the aliens. Yet it was not until four years later the site became notorious in NanoSec’s inner circle.
The first prisoners came in under heavy guard. Seven X’Lanthos hunters, ambushed on a planet near the frontline, shipped in cages originally meant to ship and grow cloned cattle. In this case however, the valuable cargo was now administered several types of tranquilizers instead of the usual hormones and growth enhancers. Investigators quickly moved from mere observation to hands on experimentation. Subjects were submitted to many tests man already decided to cruel for animals thousands of years ago. Soon, many more live subjects were needed and provided, as the conflict spread. A dissolvent plant was erected shortly to help process cadaverous subjects, as shipments became daily. NanoSec executives decided it was undesirable to leave evidence of the plants proceedings.
The Vorta Complex finding’s were pivotal in the struggle against the X’Lanthos. We learned the aliens communicated in a telepathic way, and that messages were delivered and received in a very similar way to human speech, using a part of the brain non-existent in humans. Neuro interfacing Haussman programming to subjects had not left any survivors yet, but did leave enough time for questioning and readout of biological memory.
This way man discovered the alien force was actually engineered by the original X’Lanthos as an extermination force, although it had no record of man. They were actually surprised to find another species on the target planets. This however, did not change anything in the objective of reclaiming X’Lanthos property. No questions asked. Sadly, man had failed to read the alien “Keep Out” signs, and was now being removed by force. The invaders did not consider man as an equal being, and therefore had no doubt to exterminate the infestation and purify the natural habitat.
Learning more about the X’Lanthos social structure was difficult, as these beings really didn’t form part of the original race. They were cloned and engineered for this one task, and therefore only had limited knowledge about the original beings. These hunters only lived for the purpose they were made for. Since mankind wasn’t the objective of this extermination force, it was safe to assume there was another objective, yet obscure to man. It could very well be the key to this conflict lay with them.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Re: 19. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - The Vorta Complex

Post by Tmb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:00 am

best one yet!

... I liked this one read it in only a few minutes... instead of more then a few :lol:
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Great to have you back on comments, Tmb! Thanks. Really think it's the best one yet? I did take more time to read and reread for this one. Great to know i'm making some progress.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:36 pm

I stopped reading some of your stories because I was finding it hard to be useful at mechanics so I got demotivated, but I'll still try and remember to check here for a new eris scroll
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony