17. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - Disecting X'Lanthos

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

17. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - Disecting X'Lanthos

Post by Roy-Batty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Our course has been changed slightly. We are now to enter moon orbit on arrival, awaiting new orders. The last 24 hours have been full of transmissions. Thankfully, the Reclaimer cause is still alive. However, it is not alone. Many men are attempting to survive an event that almost ended civilization on earth. In their attempts to survive, it is in mans nature to grasp even the smallest amount of power in the process. Than again, what greater power exists that the power of life and death? The 100 year war, continued:

Sixth Annex, the year 3504 to 3605 AD. The 100 year war. Know thigh alien.

The trap had worked. Scofield was deep in thought on the trip back to New Lemuria. Hands on contact with the X’Lanthos had exhilarated his spirit. These beings were so bent on death. So prepared to kill. It seemed like emotions simply didn’t exist for them. Not while executing the job of killing humans, or in the moment the other aliens were in need of help. They did scream, or at least made that strange sound when you flung them into orbit. And he could hear the thrashing on the lower deck. That was clearly emotion. He couldn’t wait to get back to the research station and have some private time with this thing.

Strangely enough, the X’Lanthos threat had closed the gaps between the Great Corporations. NanoSec, Grippen-Gakam and Lake Corporation had been able to join together and even capture some of the Hunters. A lab was set up quickly to research these creatures. Experiments showed many similarities between man and X’Lanthos, although the differences were just as numerous.
The aliens seemed to be humanoid, meaning they had limbs like a human being. Internal organs and bodily composition were similar to a man, which probably meant they had a very similar diet. They could survive on uncooked meat and water, seemingly not too keen on prepared food. Vegetables and herbs were also digested properly, although protein packs seemed to kill them within a week. The creatures could ingest food and liquids through a mouth, but seemed not to poses means of speech. No vocal cords were found. Cerebral dissection showed a brain very different from a human brain. Smaller, but far more efficient. Scientists were put to work to understand more about its workings.
All captured X’Lanthos seemed to be either Hunters or shock troops, fitted in battlesuits. Food consumption largely diminished when he alien would remain inside the suit. Reflexes and strength also increased, as well as stamina. The suits seemed to have an interwoven amount of Dark Matter, without need for charge added power. The suit seemed to collect and distribute available energy. If needed, the energy present in the suits wearer could be converted into weaponized energy, diminishing the hunter’s strength, but increasing its capability to manipulate gravity, for example.
Each suit had it’s own Dark Energy field, allowing the wearer to perform specific tasks in the most efficient way, increase it’s natural abilities and even increase life sustaining functions when wounded. The staff bearer had another function. His tool of choice created a Dark Energy field around the operating unit, allowing other X’Lanthos to use their Dark Energy weapons. Without this field manipulators, as the gravitational stimulators on some of the suits arms were called, didn’t work at all, and projectile weapons became less effective.
Finding out about weaknesses was valuable at this time. There was no way of knowing how many X’Lanthos there were, but it was obvious the only way to fight was to find a way to strike back. Also Haussman bureaucrats were put in charge of the task of fitting X’Lanthos suits on man, as soon as “volunteers” could be found.

Mason had led his man for 5 days now. Moving mostly at night, from cover to cover. At first, moral had been high. These men, and boys, had been eager to march off into the unknown with him, and to turn into heroes upon their return. But marching into the unknown had its downsides. Provisions were running low and even the constant threat of sudden death becomes tedious after enough time. They had seen patrols in the distance, but Mason had been capable enough to keep the group out of harms way for now. He wanted to reach the lake, about 500 km more to the east. Besides that, they had to go around a large area known to have, what everyone now knew to be, X’Lanthos ruins. A young man in the group had disagreed about that. He thought they had to go towards the ruins, and see what the X’Lanthos were doing now. Investigate the enemy. Mason tried to be as friendly as possible when he explained him it was no good getting killed before finding a new place for their families, and the boy faded into the group as fast as he could.
But now it was Mason who had his doubts. Supplies were running thin by now, and the patrols had made him weary of travelling during the day. Maybe crossing enemy territory during the night was a better option than exposing yourself during the day. Heck, it was all enemy territory by now.
After two nights, the group reached the first ruin, finding shelter in a bombed security outpost on a hillside overlooking the structures. They saw a lot of activity, and a ruin that was no longer a ruin. The structure looked like it could have been placed there yesterday, and seemed to have a lot of importance to the new colonists. They were everywhere. But these didn’t look like hunters. There were sentinels, much larger than anything they had seen before. But there were also smaller ones. So small you could easily mistake them for a local animal. They seemed to be workers, carrying things or using strange equipment to work on the old ruin. There were also slender figures, all sizes really. And some looked like the hunters, but without battle suits. Holding large staffs they simply prodded others that seemed a bit slower or distracted. Slavers.
The men among the group discussed about what this facility was, but Mason didn’t speak. To him, it was obvious. He knew these kinds of setups. He used them back in the day. This looked like a POW camp. Everyone quieted as if struck by lightning when the howl swelled over their heads.

Elvin stared into the white room through the mirrored glass. The X’Lanthos, although strapped to an inclined table, seemed to stare right back at him through its helmet. The alien seemed to breathe steadily. Scofield could feel the Dark Energy charge even from the outside. With a short gesture, a Haussman bureaucrat opened the vault like entrance to the cell.
Circling the captive, Scofield was impressed and eager to learn from this creature. So successful at it’s attempts to eradicate man, but why? Did this thing have any way of communicating he could understand? Well, if it did, he would find out today. The Dark Energy charge between Elvin’s outstretched hands crackled and caused an instant reaction when placed right next to the alien’s temples. Yes, he knew they felt pain. He just needed that one to know he could inflict it.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 17. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - Disecting X'Lanthos

Post by Roy-Batty » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:38 pm

Trying to dig a little deeper into the X'Lanthos. Let's see if mankind finds a way to strike back.

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by AirborneHam » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Great work, as always. I don't know where your going with a third person story in this series of overview type history, but I'm a fan and waiting to find out.
On another note, my computer is being fixed, so I might be able to write those stories based on your history soon.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:23 am

Well, I want to describe the X'Lanthos in more detail. Also the ways man finds to resist a threat with high tech is better told in third person.
In general, I like to switch from overview to third person. It's fun to write and I think it keeps the reader interested. But please tell me if you feel I do one thing better than the other :)

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:39 pm

For those who would like to know.... I won't be entering a new post of the Eris scrolls today. I'm actually on holidays and spending some quality time with the family. On the other hand, I will have more free time as well, so maybe i'll be entering two posts a day soon! :D

AirborneHam
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by AirborneHam » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Well, you certainly do the overview style better, but your great at the 3rd person writing also. The only thing I remotely dislike about your3rd person writing is the way you do describing is..... not choppy but there are periods were commas could make it better. Not dissing your work, it's all great, but just something I notice when reading Eris Scrolls.
AirborneHam, author of several stories in the Dark Potential Fan-Fiction Forum.

Start here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 19&t=63550

It only gets better.