15. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - To the Death

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

15. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - To the Death

Post by Roy-Batty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am

Describing the beginning of the 100 year war is a complicated task. My archives contain many descriptions of the same events, some even contradictionary to each other. Although the absolute truth is not easy to discover, it seems the path between all accounts is usually closest to fact. The 100 year war, continued:

Sixth Annex, the year 3504 to 3605 AD. The 100 year war. In pursuit of the X'Lanthos.

Elvin had always liked the sight of a battlefield after the carnage. There was a great sense of peace in the aftermath of death. His ship had remained undetected and had landed safely on Bota. Only taking a party of three, Scofield didn't feel any fear as he left the cover of the craft. The air smelled foul. Burned. His goons had equipped themselves with pea suits, but Scofield trusted his own ability to manipulate potential energy a lot more. The constant field around his entire body had taken care of his health for many years now, constantly monitored and corrected by Switch. He hadn't inhaled "unfresh" air for decades, but was perfectly able to form a part of his surrounding, without having to deal with any palpable boundaries. Within milliseconds the virus was identified, broken down and rejected from the airflow.
Switch recorded all data about this new agent, unknown to man. More mechanic than biological, extremely aggressive and seemingly programmable, waiting for signals. With this virus, the X'Lanthos could actually decide its behavior and modify it according to its needs. They could even make a virus dangerous for the X'Lanthos, and simply switch it off when needed.
Only taking his first steps on Bota, Elvin had already learned more than he could dare to imagine. Looking through the night, on the horizon, there was an orange glow like the sun about to rise. That was a good place to start hunting for X'Lanthos. The four started to walk towards the light. The closer they came to the glow, the more menacing it became. First they came across scattered bodies, all human. Pieces of decimated infrastructure, covered with crushed and ripped open vehicles. It seemed that the glow was coming from an urban settlement. In fact, the glow was the urban settlement. They had to stop about a mile away not to get absorbed by the flames. Everything was on fire. None could be alive here. Scofield didn't seem affected by the sight of a city turned graveyard, but his henchmen were getting on edge. Even the noise the fire was making was unnerving. A sudden howl coming from the air made these Haussman enhanced ghouls grab their weapons. Scofield didn't even look up. They were here.

The makeshift partisan movement constructed in New Lamuria didn't have trouble finding enough men and equipment. Grippen-Gakam had a large concentration of forces here. They could be shipped the very next day if needed, but this is where the problem was. Locked in ships they would be simply blown away by X'Lanthos interceptors before they would reach any planet for a chance of a fight.
NanoSec had researched Dark Matter applications enough to be able to cloak ships, but it wasn't easy. Dark Energy fields were unstable and cost large amounts of Dark Matter to generate and maintain. And there was no way of knowing if the alien ships had any way to detect cloaked ships. And so the Lake executives thought of a solution, fitting with their earlier behavior.
An enormous battle fleet set out only a few days later, on its way to the battle zone in Heanem. Crossing through the Alaak system, all ships were left unharmed, after the final Systemtravel towards the warzone however, hell broke loose. Not even the full fleet had passed through the portal as the first vessels came under attack. The other ships reacted by firing in as many directions as possible, to see if any enemy ship could be hit. Sometimes they were lucky, and concentrated fire could even severely damage or destroy a discovered X'Lanthos craft, but the fleet was diminishing quickly as invisible attackers’ pummeled ship after ship.
A small secondary fleet however, under Dark Energy cover, escaped alien attention long enough to reach various planets throughout the system. Troops were dropped on the surface and the diversion fleet of over a hundred ships retreated. The counteroffensive had successfully started, leaving over 100.000 ship crew dead, and small forces scattered on different planets with no way to communicate. A true partisan operation indeed. But a hero's death for these troops could mean the end of mankind.

On Lazarus, survivor rate had not yet dropped to 0. The remaining few had retreated to bombed settlements, and were now as prone to animal attack as falling at the hands of the Hunters. There was no way to fight back, but to stay out of sight. New versions of the virus kept on attacking the healthy and most had now grown accustomed to live with a breathing assistant both day and night. Raiding parties went out for food, water and medical supplies, but often didn't come back. Those that did, returned with ever shrinking quantities. Soon it would be time to move, or starvation would become a new threat.
The howls of the hunter parties hadn't been heard for weeks now. It seemed the alien forces had forgotten about this part of the planet. In general, since the structures from the skies came down to the planet’s surface. Maybe the X'Lanthos considered the human infestation was now controlled, or they simply didn't bother anymore. It wasn't the first time they had been here. The flying architectural structures were similar to the ruins found on Lazarus many years before. It was simply like they came back to claim what they considered was already theirs.
In retrospect, it was obvious they didn't want anyone on the colonies. The ruins were well protected. Even the wildlife seemed far more aggressive than anything we found on earth. Could it be they were left there with the purpose of warding off unwanted visitors? The Hunters seemed to handle animals very similar to the local fauna without any problem.
It was time to move now for the former citizens of Brands Docks V. Necessary to survive, this would have to lead to a confrontation with these wretched things sooner or later. They had better find a way to stand any type of chance.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: 15. The Eris Scrolls: The 100 year war - To the Death

Post by Roy-Batty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:13 am

I felt like getting more down to detail level to describe the start of man's resistance. It's a bit out of my comfort zone, so the forum is the perfect way to try that out.

Tell me what you think, cause I can't read your thoughts..... yet!

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:31 am

Very nice. :mrgreen:

Critique born of LOVE:

a) I'm sort of unsure of where we are. :shock: I mean, is all this in Alaak? And are we really fighting, even in the first system to get taken out? Or are we getting our butts kicked at 99% of the previous speed.

I'm not clear on the big picture, so to speak. Maybe the Haussman could start each log after this with a "The extermination fleet has now reached", just to remove confusion..

b) I'm unsure - does the Haussman know how Elvin feels, or is it guessing?

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks! Let me see:

a. Alaak is basically gone. The X'Lanthos have now landed on Haenen in full on assault. Scofield has landed on Bota, a planet in Haenen. That's pretty much where I left chapter 14. I could make Eris recap a bit before every chapter.

And yeah, we are getting our butts kicked! On one hand Scofield is going towards the fight, looking to learn from our alien buddies. And on the other hand survivors from Alaak (Some Lake corporate scum that ran from the Alaak system right before making Systemtravel impossible. They just didn't know the X'Lanthos had their own ways) are trying to set up resistance in New Lemuria system. It's because every system has 2 portals. Alaak had a gateway to both New Lemuria and Haenen. It was a 50/50 shot where the X'Lanthos would show up.

b. If you mean Eris when you say Haussman, Eris simply narrates according to all data available on the Astral Maiden Arc. Maybe Scofield left a biography in there.
If you mean Switch, Switch is a Haussman Neurolink created entity living inside Scofield himself. Switch is Scofield, and Scofield is Switch.

Hope that makes it a little more clear.... :)

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:02 am

a) Oh! Damn, I didn't even gather that New Lemuria was a system, I thought it was a planet. If you write System or World after each type, that might be helpful next round.

I'm sure we'll have to add a simple map at some point, anyway. Luckily, our world is much smaller than 40k.

b) Yeah, I mean Eris. Ok, so Elvin is doing an autobio - why not, I guess.

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:56 am

Well, a bio, or they find the Haussman Neurolink in a pile of smoking ash and save what they find inside.... Maybe Scofield will end up a government figure..... or..... fill in the blanks

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:25 pm

great as always
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Thanks tmb! My entries don't really feel finished without your seal of approval. :D

Tmb
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.

Post by Tmb » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Roy-Batty wrote:Thanks tmb! My entries don't really feel finished without your seal of approval. :D
I was gone during most of the day when I posted I was at my grand parents house, sorry for the wait :P
The Sky holds the Storm Rain Mist Lightning Cloud and the Sun all in harmony

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks for taking the time on a busy day :)