A Soldier's Tale

Post your fan-made fiction here!
Forum rules
By submitting anything on this forum you agree to allow MiniWarGaming to use any or all parts without permission and without compensation.
Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

A Soldier's Tale

Post by Phatty » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:28 am

His heart began to race as the realization that death was surely only moments away. Private Brent’s white knuckle grip on his gauss rifle tightened as he ducked his head down into his two man foxhole. Looking over to his side he saw Private Lewis lying on his back motionless. Even though it was night, thanks to the glow of the two burning trees behind him, Brent could see that a large part of Lewis’ head was gone. The fires caused by rockets hitting a barn that only moments before housed the sniper team supporting him and his squad mates.

BANG! Brent felt a thread of hope at the sound of another gauss rifle in the foxhole to his right. In his panicked state he carelessly darted out of his earthen shelter towards the sound of his comrade. Half running half crawling, he cringed at the sound of bullets racing past all around him. He did not fully feel the weight of his stupidity until he reached the other two-man foxhole. As he dived into the hole he saw there were already two men there. While “The Phoenix” was still defiantly firing at the oncoming raiders, “Shivers” was earning his namesake as he was shaking violently face down, burring his head into the ground. However, by the time Brent realized his mistake he was already careening into the pair.

“WHAT THE!!!” shouted “The Phoenix” over the hail of gunfire, quickly realizing who crashed into him, “What are you doing?!?!”
“L…Lew… Lewis is dead,” Brent managed to sputter out.
“Him and almost everyone else!” he spat back. Realizing he could not move now with one too many people in the foxhole barked, “Get this weakling- gesturing to Shivers- back to the house! I’ll cover you!” Brent’s fear loosened its grip enough for some focus to return to him. He had a mission, he had support, and a chance, a small chance he would live.

“Yes, sir!” Brent replied with vigor. In one motion The Phoenix opened fire as Brent grabbed Shivers’ collar with one arm and dragged him from the foxhole. Brent kept a firm grasp on his rifle knowing he would need it. The house was only a few footfalls away as he began to throw his disheartened compatriot through the open front door.

Brent thought he must have been too close to the house to see the pair of rockets fly into the house. In a fraction of a second, the first explosion ripped apart the right side of the old home as the second explosion seemed to do the same a fraction of a second later to the left side of the house. A fireball bellowed out from the door he was heading into with a defining roar. Brent felt the extreme heat but Shivers took the brunt of the explosion, absorbing most of the shrapnel and burns. The pair were thrown backward several meters flat on their backs.

Brent’s ears were still ringing as he felt the heat of the burning house against his face. His vision was blurry at best as his head pounded in agony. When he tried to move pain shot at him. The glow of the house was enough so when his vision wasn’t as murky he could make out Shivers’ burnt shrapnel covered body. As he lied face up on the ground one thought filled his mind: I’m going to die here arnt I?

Footsteps. He thought he could hear a group of people approaching him. They were laughing. Confused Brent thought This isn’t funny. He heard some of them speaking. What are they saying? There was more laughing and more voices as the footfalls grew louder. That voice. Brent tried to filter out the other voices as he brain struggled with a simple thought. I know that voice.

“Hey,” said a deep and unfamiliar voice, “I think one of them is still alive.”
“Yeah! Yeah! Look boss he’s kinda squirmin!” interjected a high pitch screech of a voice form another man, “Can I finish the little mut off?”
Brent could only make out mumbles of the reply from the voice he thought he knew.
“You’re right, he could be useful,” replied the deeper voice as the groups footsteps stopped just behind Brent’s head. Brent’s strength faltered as his vision began to blur once again and darkness enveloped him.

------------------------------To Be Continued-------------------------------------------

tell me what you think, any feedback is great

jwerulez
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: A Soldier's Tale

Post by jwerulez » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 pm

wow... most of these stories that people post i cant read till the end, but yours i read every part of it, and the more i read the more i liked it, and i am very picky about stories, so this is a lot coming form me

Roy-Batty
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Roy-Batty » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 am

Very nicely written, great story. Only feedback is I want to read more.
Did you ever hear of the Eris Scrolls?

You can get to know them here:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 16&t=63414

And that's just the beginning.

Don't forget to bring your opinion!

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 am

thank you very much guys that means a lot. im almost done with part 2 and i have some thoughts floating around for part 3. part 2 should be up soon

trooogdooor
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by trooogdooor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:01 pm

This kind of personal tale really helps to flesh the factions out, good stuff. I'm hoping the captors are Bandits... we need more insight into the pirates life back at camp.